Buddahfan

Zeke, Joe and Microwave Revisited

Webber was bought out of his deal. That means wherever he signed, his original team paid the difference of this deal. So basically he was going to sign the same deal with any team he signed with. Money was not an issue in signing. He didnt take more, he didnt take less money playing here. Honestly, do you think he comes here if he didn't grow up here?

Thanks for making my point. My point was money was not an issue and he picked Detroit. And I think he wanted to go where he thought he had a chance to win a championship and he thought here was a great opportunity.

The first time with Billups, he had multiple offers the same as ours. Mid level for 6 seasons - I think one was even from Minnesota.

Dyess also, even as a criple had offers similar to ours. And Nazr, he did as well and he wasn't too hard to trade when Joe decided to so he must not have been way overpaid.

I'm just wish I wasn't causing you so much pain today :-)

Back to the original point, Trading Billups this off season, even if it makes sense from a stat/$ basis, would hurt the franchise and IMO make it necessary to trade most of the starting 5 as they would be upset enough by it to destroy the chemistry they have.

They would have probably accepted it if Billups left on his own like Ben did, but trading him when he is still the leader of the team is a totally different situation.

Thanks for making my point. My point was money was not an issue and he picked Detroit. And I think he wanted to go where he thought he had a chance to win a championship and he thought here was a great opportunity.

The first time with Billups, he had multiple offers the same as ours. Mid level for 6 seasons - I think one was even from Minnesota.

Dyess also, even as a criple had offers similar to ours. And Nazr, he did as well and he wasn't too hard to trade when Joe decided to so he must not have been way overpaid.

I'm just wish I wasn't causing you so much pain today :-)

What point did I prove? That a hometown guy wanted to come home before he retired? That we had just lost Ben, overpaid for Nazr and were in need of big men and that offered Webber the best place to play? Fact is, nobody signs here when they have comparable offers from other teams. They sign with Miami, they sign with the Spurs, they sign with Phoenix, etc.

As far as Minnesota offering Billups the same money as us, what a joke. He came from Minnesota. He was a restricted free agent in Minnesota. If they offered him the same money, they just would have matched our offer and kept him. Come on man.

What point did I prove? That a hometown guy wanted to come home before he retired? That we had just lost Ben, overpaid for Nazr and were in need of big men and that offered Webber the best place to play? Fact is, nobody signs here when they have comparable offers from other teams. They sign with Miami, they sign with the Spurs, they sign with Phoenix, etc.

As far as Minnesota offering Billups the same money as us, what a joke. He came from Minnesota. He was a restricted free agent in Minnesota. If they offered him the same money, they just would have matched our offer and kept him. Come on man.

Sorry, but Billups was not a restricted FA.

Sorry, but Billups was not a restricted FA.

He had been in the league 5 years at the time he signed with Detroit. Fairly sure that would make him a restricted FA.

He had been in the league 5 years at the time he signed with Detroit. Fairly sure that would make him a restricted FA.

Sorry, but he completed his rookie deal which was 5 years and made him unrestricted.

Sorry, but he completed his rookie deal which was 5 years and made him unrestricted.

Oh well, you've got to be wrong once D.

Anyhow, thanks for the nice break between the chaos at work. I need to be able to get my mind on something else at times or I would go nuts.

Oh well, you've got to be wrong once D.

Anyhow, thanks for the nice break between the chaos at work. I need to be able to get my mind on something else at times or I would go nuts.

What are you talking about? You were wrong way more then once :)

hey D...why don't you grow up and stop with the name calling. Someone kick your dog today? I'm an idiot, hzglory is stupid and the rest of the board are apparently morons...We all know you're an angry little man, no need to prove it anymore.

hey D...why don't you grow up and stop with the name calling. Someone kick your dog today? I'm an idiot, hzglory is stupid and the rest of the board are apparently morons...We all know you're an angry little man, no need to prove it anymore.

You were a douchebag too. At least include them all.

It appears whoever had Billups at the 3 year mark did not make him a qualifying offer and he became a free agent then. Minnesota signed him at this time, thus ending his rookie contract status and making him unrestricted when Detroit signed him.

Trading Chauncey Billups would not only be a PR disaster, it would be an on the court disaster too. Point guard is the single most important position on the team. Rodney Stuckey has about 20-25 games experience. He's good, & will get better, but he's not ready yet. I'm not against making a trade. I just wouldn't let Chauncey be part of it.

Billups will not great traded.

I do see his skills deteriorating before Rips's.

Stuckey will step in to take more and more responsibility as will Affalo.

If we wanted to trade to move up in the draft, Maxiell would be the best person to trade. He does well during the regular season and could definitely help a lottery team that doesn't need to worry about a guy to play well in the playoffs.

But if we can get CDR with the 29th pick then maybe we don't have to trade up. I think a lot depends on what Joe D. thinks of Amir's potential to replace Sheed the year after next as a starter if we don't resign Sheed.

We have seen Maxiell disappear for 3 years in a row. Okay the first year I will give him a pass as a rookie and maybe even last year he wasn't ready to help stop Lebron. This year however, Maxiell has no excuses. He has been our biggest dud in the playoffs by far. A huge disappointment.

I keeping hoping that he will step up and get it done, but so far he has been disappointedly MIA.

I don't see him trading Billups at all. If there is a starter traded this offseason (which I highly doubt there will be) my money would be on Rip.

I agree with this. One of the biggest issues with our offense (besides Flip) is that we have no penetrator that can get his own shot or create shots for others from the swing position (SG or SF). The flip side of that is you also need a versatile defender at one of those positions as well to cover the other team's penetrator. Think of the Ginobili/Bowen combo for the optimal setup. So, who do you move? The obvious answer is that Tay already fits the mold, but Rip is a bit one dimensional in being a catch-and-shoot player that has trouble getting his own shot.

Of course, you always have to weight it against your chemistry. But, that's Joe's job :happy:

It appears whoever had Billups at the 3 year mark did not make him a qualifying offer and he became a free agent then. Minnesota signed him at this time, thus ending his rookie contract status and making him unrestricted when Detroit signed him.

You are right that Orlando didn't make the qualifying offer, but after 5 years he would have been unrestricted anyhow.

Trading Chauncey Billups would not only be a PR disaster, it would be an on the court disaster too. Point guard is the single most important position on the team. Rodney Stuckey has about 20-25 games experience. He's good, & will get better, but he's not ready yet. I'm not against making a trade. I just wouldn't let Chauncey be part of it.

Doesn't matter how good your PG is if your bigs are old. The Pistons are quickly becoming old down low. They now appear to have someone who can run the point in place of Billups, so you use the parts you have excess of, to improve areas you are lacking.

Toss in the fact Rasheed has an expiring deal next year, and you possibly have 2 big pieces to trade to get younger and improve the team.

I am not saying just trade him for anyone you can get for him. But I would certainly explore the option of moving him for the right deal.

You are right that Orlando didn't make the qualifying offer, but after 5 years he would have been unrestricted anyhow.

It's six years.

A Team that makes a Qualifying Offer to a player following the second Option Year of his Rookie Scale Contract may elect simultaneously to offer the player an alternative Contract covering six (6) Seasons that provides Salary for the first Salary Cap Year equal to the Maximum Annual Salary under Article II, Section 7(a), with annual increases in Salary equal to 10.5% of the Salary for the first Salary Cap Year (a “Maximum Qualifying Offer”). Providing a player with a Maximum Qualifying Offer shall have the consequence described in Section 5(b) below. A Maximum Qualifying Offer shall be subject to the following:

It's six years.

I guess I was wrong. I thought for sure it used to be 5 years before the changes they made a couple of years ago.

I guess I was wrong. I thought for sure it used to be 5 years before the changes they made a couple of years ago.

Well Billups has been in the league a bit. Maybe it was 5 in his time.

I just want to clarify about my Rip posting. In my eyes, he's sitting in the spot (starting SG) where we need a Ginobili/JRich type of player. That's why I was suggesting to trade him rather than a guy like Billups.

However, Deleterious is absolutely correct that our biggest trade asset next year is Sheed. GMs bend over backwards to get a 15 Mil expiring contract. Any blockbuster trade we could make to get a superstar in here would likely involve Sheed's contract.

Besides Finley and Hill, who exactly did the Pistons actually show any interest in? And who, signed for less than what the Pistons offered? (There might be some, I just don't remember.) The Pistons have had Webber, Campbell, Davis and Ratliff accept reduced roles and dollars for a chance to play with a contending team.

They have signed Rip, Prince, Rasheed and McDyess (of their core group) without any of them going to market. To paint the Pistons as some horrendous hell hole that goes begging just isn't accurate.

Besides Finley and Hill, who exactly did the Pistons actually show any interest in? And who, signed for less than what the Pistons offered? (There might be some, I just don't remember.) The Pistons have had Webber, Campbell, Davis and Ratliff accept reduced roles and dollars for a chance to play with a contending team.

They have signed Rip, Prince, Rasheed and McDyess (of their core group) without any of them going to market. To paint the Pistons as some horrendous hell hole that goes begging just isn't accurate.

Holy ****, Campbell, Davis and Ratliff? Combine all 3 and you might have 1 talented player. When the big boys are cut/bought out, they don't come here. They don't even look here.

Not really sure how it went from me saying that to me portraying this as some hell hole though.