FloridaTigers

Tiger Stadium Bleacher Creatures?

The bleachers were a blast. I was fourteen when Tiger Stadium closed, so I don't know what it was like back in the rowdy 80's. But because the Tigers were terrible in the '90's, the bleachers were never very rowdy - no one was there. No obstructed views, either. I remember talking to several players during those times, such as Griffey, Brian Hunter, Bernie Williams, etc. A little flare-up here and there between drunken combatants, but nothing really outrageous. Seeing the women flash was always funny, as my mom would try to cover my eyes.

Does anyone else remember this game? Anyone from the bleachers that night out here? Probably not - but if so - that would be pretty cool!

So Griffey never had a problem with Sparky then???? Just a problem below the belt, I guess.

I saw my first pair of 20 year old naked breasts in the bleachers when I was like 7. They were quite spectacular and looking back on it now I'm pretty sure that girl was getting passed around like a beach ball later that night in Warrendale or Balduck Park. Good times were had by all that day and I don't think I ever had a bad time in the bleachers.

I only sat in the bleachers once and it was during a weekday day game in 1996. It was actually for a Latch Key field trip, and needless to say the place was nearly empty because of the team, so it was kind of nice as we had almost all the bleachers to ourselves.

I did sit near the bleachers a couple times on Opening Day. First on OD 1995 (I was 11), when Cleveland won like 11-2. We were in the section next to the bleachers, and a few fans came into our section saying they had actually stopped letting people into the bleachers because they were so full. My mom's friend had Tiger Den seats and a few next to her were empty, so we ended up moving in about the 5th or 6th inning.

On OD 1998 against Tampa Bay, we were about two sections over and you would hear a roar from the bleachers every time there was a flash. I didn't catch many glimpses, but a girl in our section actually ended up joining in the fun. That was actually my last Opening Day attended until this year.

Other than the Opening Days, though, my experience with the bleachers was much like markmeista -- I didn't start going regularly until about 1994, so to me the bleachers were usually more than 60% empty and very docile. It was also disappointing that the summer I turned 16, Comerica Park opened, so I wasn't able to take advantage of the cheap tickets on summer days.

Sat in the bleachers in 1999, against the Cardinals. I started the wave once after many efforts. Fernando Tatis hit a grand slam into the upper deck and Edgar Renteria was a young shortstop.

Anyways, girls were flashing then too, but I was like 10-11. I knew what boobs were but didnt think my dad wouldnt want me looking.

Dont know if anyone here has been to MIS let alone the infield there but it was like MIS-lite to me.

You would sit on a slab of wood, no backs to the seats up there. Yes, it got rowdy and they had to close it down because of drinking for a time. Remember the story of Willie Horton's dad sitting up there and watching his son hit his first home run. His dad shouted "That's my son!" and everyone shouted at him, "If thats you son, what are you doing in the cheap seats up here??"

I remember my 1st game ever at Tiger Stadium. A 1983 doubleheader against the White Sox. We counted 23 beach balls in the bleachers during the 2 games. I remember everyone booing the fan who pulled his knife out to puncture one of the offending beach balls.

One year I sat in the bleachers for opening day. It was the season the JOA strike was going on and there were a ton of JOA supporters up there with white shirts on. I don't recall if it was the next year or when, but my friend gave me a joke picture of Tiger Stadium and the scoreboard thanking me for being there. I immediately noticed the day, and looked for myself in the picture. I found me and my brother stretched out between two rows next to the aisle, just like we were most of the game. Amazingly, I found myself in the picture.

Ha, I don't remember that greeting for Winfield, but sounds funny.

By the way, I wonder if any one section of the ballpark instigated the throwing of debris at Ducky Medwick in the '34 series or whether it was a spontaneous free for all coming from all over.

It was from Left Field, the old film clips show the Commisioner waving him in to his box !

Dear Bleacher Creatures, I was at a lot of these games, especially the Ken Griffey one. But I was in lower left field, saw the laughter, the heckling, and always wondered what it was about. NOW I KNOW! Ken Griffey, Keep Scratching Your Balls. But some of you are right, and so wrong about the bleachers. Yes it was HELL UP THERE, and I thought I saw a human sacrifice or two, a burning Canadian Flag and Blue Jay Cap at the last day game in 1987, and yes BEACHBALLS! And yes it did become LAME, almost DEAD, after 1985 when they closed them down! Jim Campbell got exactly what he wanted, a cleared out family section for baby strollers and a new family spot. But those people grew up, and some of the Bleacher Creatures cleaned it up, and made it a place where you really could have MORE FUN THAN THE LAW WOULD ALLOW! It was Animal House, Caddyshack, Blues Brothers, the MSU and Michigan Student Sections, wrapped up into one. You could act a natural fool, in the reformed days, and people looked at you like you were crazy or called security on your butt. But most of the people there were there to HAVE FUN and watch their Tigers. You could be doing the Wave or acting a fool, and simply ask WHAT'S THE SCORE AT THE WINGS GAME, and somebody would shout it out. The Bleacher Creatures were the BEST TIGER FANS they had, and the Illitch's destroyed them, when they moved to the COMA, and left out the heart beat, the heart and soul, guts and glue of the Tiger fan base, the BLEACHER CREATURES. And that's why now, the Copa is full of damn CUSTOMERS, and it sounds like the Detroit Public Library. They have to be told when to cheer, how long, and music and beats they play in there put you to sleep, it's safe, and it's off key, and out of date. You go in there now and try to get a clap or chant going, they look at you like YOU'RE CRAZY! They really do sit back and wait for the scoreboard or the Tigers to entertain them. Bleacher Creatures didn't do that because our teams sucked so bad, we made our own noise, and did our own thing to the beat of We Will Rock You, and you know what, WE DID! So, until they put a real Bleacher section in the Coma, it will always be just NICE PLACE TO WATCH A GAME. And I have met fans who said they like it quiet like that, so they can read the program better! LESS FILLING, TASTE GREAT, and whatever comes that, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN! We would have so much fun, people would be too damn tired to go out clubbing, and you didn't have a voice left either.

But BLEACHER CREATURES, if you are still out there, I have a mission for you. First of all, come back down to Tiger Stadium's field when you can, and play some ball, or catch with your kids, or parents, and teach and tell people how it was. And when do step into the COMA, keep clapping after the stupid sound effects go off, start a LET'S GO TIGERS chant, slip a beachball in there, they still sell them at NATIONAL DRY GOODS, AND HAVE SOME DAMN FUN waking up the CARDBOARD CUTOUTS, I mean CUSTOMERS, who go to that playpen for the rich, known as COMERICA PARK! But if you really can't, post your stories over at facebook, Tiger Stadium Bleacher Creatures. MY FRIENDS, YOU HAVE A HOME TO COME TO BACK TO, and you can always GO HOME!

But as always, WE WILL ROCK YOU, 1-2-3 WAVE, that side sucks, and LESS FILLING, TASTE GREAT!

Edited by GOBLUEADAM