RedRamage

Second round pick: Jordon Dizon, OLB

Not disagreeing but why do you think NFL teams knew about it if the public didn't?

Disclosure, I'm pretty sure that teams have access to police blots. He is eligible for NFL disciplinary action, last year Frostee Rucker was suspended under the NFL's personal conduct policy for conduct that happened when he was still in college.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-08-29-4193584245_x.htm

This doesn't mean he can't play football obviously and be a productive player, but it certainly isn't something that can be looked upon as a positive.

The one thing that bothers me about it is you'd think that close to the draft he'd be smarter. He wouldn't do something to jeopardize his status, and yet he did it. How much control is the guy going to have in the world of the NFL where this stuff is all over the place if he couldn't control himself the few weeks he really needed to on his best behavior? So while he may still have a positive career, I think this does create at the very least a small red flag - especially for an organization that deserves much of the discredit directed towards it.

jacqui_poster.jpg

Sagman,

I saw that picture and thought it was a guy. Then I saw the girls' picture below. Now that's character. This woman is the definition of character - allowing her picture to be used for this campaign.

This doesn't mean he can't play football obviously and be a productive player, but it certainly isn't something that can be looked upon as a positive.

The one thing that bothers me about it is you'd think that close to the draft he'd be smarter. He wouldn't do something to jeopardize his status, and yet he did it. How much control is the guy going to have in the world of the NFL where this stuff is all over the place if he couldn't control himself the few weeks he really needed to on his best behavior? So while he may still have a positive career, I think this does create at the very least a small red flag - especially for an organization that deserves much of the discredit directed towards it.

I hear and understand that, but the guy is 22.

I am pretty much a straight-laced guy, generally display reasonable common sense, and am not entirely stupid. Looking back at my college experience, I was pretty much the same guy then as now - just less life experience. I can easily imagine that were I in his shoes as a 22-year old, I would attend a party and down some beer. Further, I could see myself driving afterwards. Now that I am older, I know that is a stupid, foolish, dangerous risk to take. But as a 22-year old, I'm not sure I would have thought it through like that.

In summary - does this raise a red flag? Sure.

Would I interview the guy and try to evaluate if he takes responsiblity and remorse for his mistake? Sure.

Disclosure, I'm pretty sure that teams have access to police blots. He is eligible for NFL disciplinary action, last year Frostee Rucker was suspended under the NFL's personal conduct policy for conduct that happened when he was still in college.

If the NFL has access to police info that isn't publicly available that seems like a violation of personal rights. There is something Big-Brotherish about that setup.

Now it could be that the police info was publicly available but no reporters noticed until now. I could believe that.

If the NFL has access to police info that isn't publicly available that seems like a violation of personal rights. There is something Big-Brotherish about that setup.

Now it could be that the police info was publicly available but no reporters noticed until now. I could believe that.

Maybe if you apply for the NFL draft, you agree to having an extensive background check performed on you?

Those teams are going to be paying you a very large salary, and are well within their rights to ask for extensive background information.

I thought all police files were public record unless releasing them would put someone in danger.

I thought all police files were public record unless releasing them would put someone in danger.

That should've been public record. I'm sure no one caught up on it or had a clue who the guy was. News reporters do the police blogs. Drunk drivers - they see that all the time. They may have not known who he was.

Marinelli's "football character" is not the same thing as "model citizen don't get in trouble with the law" character. The Cherilus incident was well known before the draft (and after the Lions made the pick). It's good that it is resolved.

Sorry Cruzer, but after you ripped into me about Orlovsky and your belief that because he was good at UConn that he is NFL ready - I can say that I don't believe anything you post on NFL draft picks and especially the Detroit Lions. I think you know as much about that as I do about heart surgery. I can watch Discovery Health Channel and quote things about heart surgery, but it doesn't mean I can do it.

Maybe the NFL teams did have access to police records, but you know what, if you are going to take a reach pick, maybe you should do more research. I will watch with glee as this team struggles to win 3 games in 2008.

The Lions take this kid because he's a motor guy and he fits the Tampa 2.

Really? That's why? You draft a guy for a system in the second round? No, you draft the best overall players in the first 2 or 3 rounds, players that can adapt to whatever system the team decides to employ in the future. My guess is that Marinelli (who I actually like) will probably get the ax after another 3 win season and there goes the Tampa 2 system and all the system guys that go with it. They effed up the first round with Cherilus and the effed up the second round with Dizon. This guy is nothing like Chris Spielman.

Is driving with a .097 the end of the world? No, it was a kid mistake, but it's doesn't exatcly make that reach pick look good.

Millen is a horse's ***.

They effed up the first round with Cherilus

They had a glaring weakness on the line and the most obvious was the RT position...so drafting the best pure RT in the draft is a mistake? I think you best check your info.

They had a glaring weakness on the line and the most obvious was the RT position...so drafting the best pure RT in the draft is a mistake? I think you best check your info.

Let's talk about it in 3 years. You'll see.......

The best pure RT in the draft was Jake Long.

Sorry Cruzer, but after you ripped into me about Orlovsky and your belief that because he was good at UConn that he is NFL ready - I can say that I don't believe anything you post on NFL draft picks and especially the Detroit Lions. I think you know as much about that as I do about heart surgery. I can watch Discovery Health Channel and quote things about heart surgery, but it doesn't mean I can do it.

Maybe the NFL teams did have access to police records, but you know what, if you are going to take a reach pick, maybe you should do more research. I will watch with glee as this team struggles to win 3 games in 2008.

The Lions take this kid because he's a motor guy and he fits the Tampa 2.

Really? That's why? You draft a guy for a system in the second round? No, you draft the best overall players in the first 2 or 3 rounds, players that can adapt to whatever system the team decides to employ in the future. My guess is that Marinelli (who I actually like) will probably get the ax after another 3 win season and there goes the Tampa 2 system and all the system guys that go with it. They effed up the first round with Cherilus and the effed up the second round with Dizon. This guy is nothing like Chris Spielman.

Is driving with a .097 the end of the world? No, it was a kid mistake, but it's doesn't exatcly make that reach pick look good.

Millen is a horse's ***.

You can believe me or not, I don't care. I'll put my record on the draft against anybody's. I don't know what your post has to do with mine, but we can all have our opinions, so I'm free to express mine, and we'll all go home happy.

Also, where did I rip into you? You're the one who called me clueless. You usually don't pay much attention, especially to the draft. If I'm wrong, please forgive me.

Jake Long was the best player in the draft period. So how could I possibly argue that point?

But he was dominated by Vernon Gholston every time he went up against him, which is predominately why I made Gholston my #1 rated player in the draft.

But he was dominated by Vernon Gholston every time he went up against him, which is predominately why I made Gholston my #1 rated player in the draft.

Sorry that 5 NFL teams and their scouts didn't think so.

Glee? ... Really? What if they win 9 games - will that piss you off?

This kind of "fan" I don't understand.

I don't understand that either. As much as the Lions may tick me off at times (well most of the time), I'll never be happy when they lose a game or want them to lose a game.

FAIL

Lions didn't know about Dizon arrest

by Tom Kowalski

Tuesday July 22, 2008, 3:28 PM

The Detroit Lions were not aware that Jordon Dizon had been arrested for drunken driving several days before they selected him in the second round of the NFL draft.

"We do all the background checks right up to the draft and none of that came through,'' Millen said.

A source close to the situation said that Dizon's arrest might not have been "in the system'' because it wasn't processed immediately.

Millen would not speculate on how news of the arrest might have affected Detroit's decision to draft him, but said that head coach Rod Marinelli addressed the situation with Dizon.

"As soon as it happened, he and Rod had a nice long talk about it,'' Millen said.

When asked about the maturity and decision-making ability of a player who put himself in such a vulnerable position at a crucial time in his career, Millen said, "Well, you'd think that anybody who gets one of those things, you'd say 'Where is your freaking mind?' regardless of what their circumstances are.''

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/07/lions_didnt_know_about_dizon_a.html