RedRamage

Second round pick: Jordon Dizon, OLB

Anyone think it would be a good move to bring in Al Wilson to mentor Dizon for a year and move Lennon to SAM for good?

Anyone think it would be a good move to bring in Al Wilson to mentor Dizon for a year and move Lennon to SAM for good?

I was just thinking that this morning. Wilson probably wants too much money, but if not, it seems like a good idea. Better than having Lenon get some time at MLB.

was just thinking this morning...wasn't uhrlacher a safety in college?...and i also think he was considerered a little small for a mlb too when he first started...not saying that dizon is the next uhrlacher, by any means...but...he's about the best ever at that position in the tampa 2 scheme...so this may not just be as much of a reach as some are thinking...

was just thinking this morning...wasn't uhrlacher a safety in college?...and i also think he was considerered a little small for a mlb too when he first started...not saying that dizon is the next uhrlacher, by any means...but...he's about the best ever at that position in the tampa 2 scheme...so this may not just be as much of a reach as some are thinking...

No, he was always big, but extremely fast. I recall he even returned kicks in college. The questions about him was how he'd handle the middle since he didn't have any experience inside, but he's answered every question.

Uhrlacher is big and fast, he was never considered too small to be a MLB. Cruzer is correct.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080614/SPORTS01/80614011/1049/SPORTS01

Jordon Dizon said he learned a lot during the first series of sessions with the Lions. The team is hoping he's a quick study.

The rookie linebacker has absorbed a lot since the club drafted him out of Colorado in the second round of the draft.

"It's a learning curve, definitely," Dizon said Thursday after the team concluded its final offseason training session. "It's a very complex defense and to learn it all in three weeks while you're only getting 10 reps a day at it is a lot."

The Lions, however, think he should be a perfect fit in coach Rod Marinelli's Tampa 2 scheme that emphasizes speed. Linebacker Ernie Sims — undersized and quick, just like his new teammate — has thrived in the system since his rookie season.

The biggest challenge for the 6-foot, 229-pound Dizon will be shifting from the outside, where he earned All-America honors last fall, to the middle. Seven-year veteran Paris Lenon, who started all 16 games in the middle last season, and Buster Davis, a 2007 third-round pick who spent most of last year on the practice squad, also are vying for the starting job there.

"The defense is built for a small guy — a fast guy — like me," Dizon said, "But going from the outside to the middle is the biggest thing.

"In terms of assignments and alignments, it's totally different. At the same time, though, it's still a linebacker."

He was a consensus All-America selection — Colorado's first defender to earn the honor in 12 years — last fall after averaging an NCAA-best 13.3 tackles per game. Dizon, the Big 12 Conference player of the year, also had 11 tackles for loss and a pair of interceptions.

Lightly recruited after missing most of his final prep season with an injury, he finished his four-year career with the eighth-most tackles (463) in major college history.

Dizon could emerge from training camp with the starting spot, but said he isn't thinking that far.

"It's great to have that chance," he said, "but Paris has played seven years and Buster's starting his second year. The biggest thing they've got on me is experience, so it's a hell of a challenge.

"(The veterans) are poised in everything they do. They see it, they make the call, they believe what their eyes tell them. Every time I come off the field, Paris says 'slow down, slow down.' It's very helpful to me."

The departure of Boss Bailey means plenty of competition on the strong side, where free agents Alfred Fincher and Gilbert Gardner add depth. Sims will be back on the weak side.

Sims, who has led the Lions in tackles in each of his first two seasons, also has offered advice to his newest teammate.

"The main thing I told him is to listen to the coaches," Sims said. "You're not going to know everything right now, but if you go out there, run as fast as you can and run to the ball, everything else will fall in line.

"I definitely can't wait 'til we throw on the pads and I can see what he's really got."

Players don't have to return to the team's practice facility until July 23. Detroit begins training-camp workouts a day later and opens preseason play Aug. 7 against the world champion New York Giants.

I think that would be a great move, but Wilson might ask for to much money.

What's the over/under on Chris Spielman references?

slow? Check.

small? Check.

white? Check.

I'm saying 25 in just the preseason.

slow? Check.

small? Check.

white? Check.

Over

slow? Check.

small? Check.

white? Check.

He's not even similar to the type of player Spielman was. He's quicker and runs much better than Spielman. His (Dizon's) playing speed is faster than his timed 40 speed. Spielman was more of a classic inside linebacker.

Yeah, I've never heard that Dizon is slow. Now, it wouldn't surprise me if the Lions are over estimating the speed a little bit, but I certainly don't think he would qualify as slow.

He's not even similar to the type of player Spielman was. He's quicker and runs much better than Spielman. His (Dizon's) playing speed is faster than his timed 40 speed. Spielman was more of a classic inside linebacker.

Are you suggesting that Dizon might be better than Spielman?

Are you suggesting that Dizon might be better than Spielman?

No, different. Different era. Speilman wouldn't be as useful now as he was then, and even then he was a two down player. He didn't really play on passing downs.

No, different. Different era. Speilman wouldn't be as useful now as he was then, and even then he was a two down player. He didn't really play on passing downs.

Thanks Cruzer. I hope Dizon can be an effective MLB, but his size is concerning and in the end he may be best suited for an OLB role. Let's hope that he pans out - the Lions really need some good breaks for a change.

Yeah, I've never heard that Dizon is slow. Now, it wouldn't surprise me if the Lions are over estimating the speed a little bit, but I certainly don't think he would qualify as slow.

At the combine, Dizon ran a 4.71 and got a bad rap. In his pro day, he ran a 4.63 and a 4.64 indoors on field turd, which he'll be playing on here.

Oklahoma's Curtis Lofton ran a 4.68 and 4.69 at his pro day, and Dizon beat him in the shuttle, 6.78 to 7.74 seconds.

I'm not saying they're similar players, I'm saying the lazy media will make the comparison many, many, many times. They always do whenever you get a white linebacker who was passed over in the draft on size and speed concerns.

I'm not saying they're similar players, I'm saying the lazy media will make the comparison many, many, many times. They always do whenever you get a white linebacker who was passed over in the draft on size and speed concerns.

Which doesn't fit Dizon. He's fast. I haven't heard one comparison between the two. Actually, Dizon is extremely similar to Lofa Tatupu.

Which doesn't fit Dizon. He's fast. I haven't heard one comparison between the two. Actually, Dizon is extremely similar to Lofa Tatupu.

See post 46.

And, IIRC, ESPN compared him to Spielman as well.

Besides, this site wouldn't be half as much fun if it weren't for Cruzer saying crazy things about Jay Sborz's fastball, Kyle Sleeth's future stardom, and Joey Harrington's certain pro bowl status...

Dan Orlovsky being talented....

You have to give a player the chance to play in pressure situations before you can evaluate their talent level.

This thread is about Dizon and not Dan Orlovsky but Orlovsky has played in 2 games in 4 years and his competition for the position isn't tough. I'm sure if he showed talent in practice, he would have played more than that. There is no politics of playing the big contract QB instead of him... Kitna is simply just that much better than him.

This thread is about Dizon and not Dan Orlovsky but Orlovsky has played in 2 games in 4 years and his competition for the position isn't tough. I'm sure if he showed talent in practice, he would have played more than that. There is no politics of playing the big contract QB instead of him... Kitna is simply just that much better than him.

Ya, but you forget this is the Lions coaching staff evaluating talent so it's vey possible a player glued to our bench is a Pro Bowl guy that these knucklehads can't see. This is, after all, the team that resigned the RB who couldn't even get off the bench to be our starter this year.

With the Lions, anything is possible (except winning).