Shinma

4/24. Avalanche @ Red Wings. West Conf Semis. Game 1. 7:30 pm. FSN-D/Vs.

Who wins, and how many games?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins, and how many games?

• Detroit. 4 games.
    • Detroit. 5 games.
    • Detroit. 6 games.
    • Detroit. 7 games.
    • Colorado. 4 games.
    • Colorado. 5 games.
    • Colorado. 6 games.
    • Colorado. 7 games.

Return of an epic conflict?

gordieqp2.jpg

motownredwingsti7.gif

Presents the following thread:

col.png@det.png

0 @ 0

Your

drwki5.gif

VS.

The Colorado Avalanche

200px-NHLWestConference.png

Western Conference Semi-Finals

Game 1

Date: Sun., Apr. 24th, 2008

Time: 7:30pm EST

This game is a presentation of:

nhlstanleylogo.jpg

Television Broadcast Provided by:

fsndetroitlogoxt8.jpg

DirecTV channel 636

Television Broadcast Provided by:

The Vs. Network

DirecTV channel 608

Streaming:

TBA

TBA

Radio Broadcast Provided by:

XM Radio: TBA

Goaltending Matchup:

chris400.jpg

Det. - Chris Osgood (2-0-0) 0.39 GAA .989 sv%

theodore2.jpg

Col. - Jose Theodore (4-2-0) 1.88 GAA .940 sv%

Recap of Game 6 against the Predators:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -The Detroit Red Wings are very talented. In Game 6 against the Nashville Predators, they were also lucky.

It was an unbeatable combination.

Nicklas Lidstrom bounced in a short-handed goal over goaltender Dan Ellis in the second period, and the Red Wings closed out their opening series with 3-0 victory over Nashville on Sunday

"I'm just trying to float one in there," Lidstrom said. "I took some off the shot just to see if I could land in front of him, just go for a bounce or just create something in front of him."

Ellis had been the biggest reason why the eighth-seeded Predators had a chance in this series. He came out to the edge of the crease to stop Lidstrom's long-distance lob.

"It just took a wicked bounce to the top corner. It's a situation you really can't do much about it. I thought I was close enough to stop it from going anywhere," Ellis said.

Jiri Hudler added a goal in the third with Brian Rafalski adding an empty-netter with 4.8 seconds. Goalie Chris Osgood stopped 20 shots for the shutout in his second straight playoff start as top-seeded Detroit became the first road team to win in this series.

More importantly, the Red Wings earned a couple days of rest before the Western Conference semifinals, and nixed any chance of a repeat of 2006 when they won the President's Trophy only to lose in the first round to Edmonton.

"I had no idea you had to carry the losses of a franchise around with you everywhere you went in the playoffs when you got to the playoffs," said coach Mike Babcock, who was in his first season in 2006.

With the victory, Detroit also passed Toronto for second on the list of playoff series won with 59.

"Anytime you get the opportunity to close out an opponent you want to do it as quick as you can," Detroit center Kris Draper.

Nashville had hoped to use Ellis and an earsplitting crowd to force Game 7 in Detroit on Tuesday night. But the Predators missed their best scoring chance when David Legwand hit a post in the first period, and they failed to advance out of the first round for a fourth straight postseason - each time on their home ice.

The Predators had no pressure in a series few thought they'd have a chance to win. Their season featured a change in owners and the unloading of several top players under previous owner Craig Leipold. Nashville couldn't capitalize on a soldout crowd that tried to help by screaming and waving free towels at every opportunity.

Predators forward J.P. Dumont said he was proud of the team for proving critics wrong by making the playoffs.

"We had a lot of good battles with Detroit. We have to learn from that and look forward to next year," he said.

Ellis stopped 40 shots after setting a franchise playoff record with 52 saves in Friday night's 2-1 overtime loss in Detroit. That was the most through regulation in a postseason game since May 24, 1996, when Tom Barrasso had 56 for Pittsburgh in an Eastern Conference final loss to Florida.

But neither Ellis nor the fans could score.

Detroit, however, always seemed to find someone to put the puck in the net.

Nashville was on the power play when Lidstrom took his shot from past the red line and scored for the 1-0 lead at 13:44 of the second for a short-handed goal.

Nashville had a chance to answer. The Predators went on the power play and had 54 seconds of a 5-on-3 after a tripping penalty on Draper at 14:43. Detroit killed off the penalties.

"We did a great job on the 5-on-3," Osgood said. "We held them to two shots. We did a great job of blocking shots, probably the best job all year."

Then Hudler sealed the victory at 3:52 in the third, flipping a shot past Ellis' glove.

Nashville coach Barry Trotz called that the toughest goal, killing their hopes of another furious comeback.

"We've been absolutely magical at making something out of nothing," Trotz said.

The Predators played a second straight game without captain Jason Arnott, whose 72 points in the regular season tied for the team lead. But they got back Michigan native Legwand, who has missed the three games in Detroit to protect his bruised left foot, and forward Scott Nichol, who broke his thumb in the opening minutes of Game 1.

They took the first five shots and hit everything in red and white. One of the best hits came near the end of the first period when Shea Weber knocked down Johan Franzen.

But Osgood, who won Game 5 after replacing Dominik Hasek in the middle of a Game 4 loss here on Wednesday night, stopped all nine shots he faced in the first and had a little luck. The shot by Legwand bounced off the post and skittered cross ice away from the goal.

Notes:

Lidstrom's short-handed goal was his third in the postseason and first since Vancouver on April 27, 2002, in Game 6 of a first-round Western Conference series. Detroit won that game 6-4 and clinched the series. ... The Red Wings had been 25-20 in Game 6 all-time, but 4-3 in their past 10 series before Sunday. The Predators now are 0-2 in Game 6 with both losses to Detroit.

Associated Press

Shinmas Video Season Series Recap:

12/27/07: Detroit 4, @Colorado 2

1/08/08: @Detroit 1, Colorado 0

2/01/08: @Detroit 2, Colorado 0

2/18/08: Detroit 4, @Colorado 0

Detroit wins: 4-0.

Playoff Series Schedule:

Thu Apr 24, 2008 Game 1:

Avalanche @ Red Wings

7:30 PM ET

TSN, VERSUS, FOX SPORTS NET (DETROIT)

Sat Apr 26, 2008 Game 2:

Avalanche @ Red Wings

3:00 PM ET

NBC, TSN, FOX SPORTS NET (DETROIT)

Tue Apr 29, 2008 Game 3:

Red Wings @ Avalanche

10:00 PM ET

Thu May 1, 2008 Game 4:

Red Wings @ Avalanche

**Sat May 3, 2008 Game 5:**

Avalanche @ Red Wings

1:00 PM ET

NBC, TSN, FOX SPORTS NET (DETROIT)

**Mon May 5, 2008 Game 6:**

Red Wings @ Avalanche

**Wed May 7, 2008 Game 7:**

Avalanche @ Red Wings

TBD

** if necessary **

`

Pavel Datsyuk is sick, according to coach Mike Babcock. Brad Stuart went home to be with his wife for the birth of their second child. Neither player was on the ice for practice today.

Stuart's reason sounds like he'll be back and ready for Game 1, which will likely be on Thursday. Datsyuk's is more worrisome. He's a good bet to not miss any game action, but he's probably feeling the effects of being banged up.

"He's not one bit hurt," said Babcock of Datsyuk. "He came in today and Piet said, 'Go home.' ... He'll be ready to go."

Kirk Maltby still needs medical clearance. He said after the practice that he'd "like to say that he'll be ready for Game 1" but he doesn't "know if it will be Game 1 or Game 4."

Coach Mike Babcock said that he doesn't know if Maltby would be in the lineup for Game 1 even if he was healthy. Babcock said that he doesn't like to change the lineup when things are going well.

Chris Osgood is starting Game 1. No surprise there.

glad to see the game is on FSN and not just VS. because i was about to punch someone in the face if it was (i'm at MSU in the dorms... and we don't frickin get VS.)

WINGS VS. AVS BABY!!!!! LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!!! WOOO!!!!!!

glad to see the game is on FSN and not just VS. because i was about to punch someone in the face if it was (i'm at MSU in the dorms... and we don't frickin get VS.)

I'm glad to see it's on FSN on a day the Tigers play a daygame, that way I can see both and not have to be miffed about the fact that they're showing on two different channels on MTU cable.

this is going to be good!!! I wonder when the first punch will happen..

GO WINGS!!!!!!

Decisions, decisions, ... in a couple of hours the rest of my household will be asleep and I'll have time alone in my dark living room for one game from the Celebration of Champions DVD. March 26, 1997 or Game 7 '02 Conference Finals?

I think I'll go with the March 26, 1997 game. I'm officially jacked!!

Decisions, decisions, ... in a couple of hours the rest of my household will be asleep and I'll have time alone in my dark living room for one game from the Celebration of Champions DVD. March 26, 1997 or Game 7 '02 Conference Finals?

I think I'll go with the March 26, 1997 game. I'm officially jacked!!

I went with the '02 game 7. The Youtube vid inspired me.

Thanks for posting that Shinma. It brings back great memories.

No problem. I just came across it looking for something else, actually. It doesn't have that many views, because its tagged poorly. That doesn't stop it from being awesome, though. =)

Lovin' It. Theodore is massively overhyped. The Wings will bury the chances Minnesota never could.

Dan Ellis was the toughest it gets for goalies, until the Conference Finals, or Stanley Cup.

Wings in 5. Wings win Game 1 4-1.

Datsyuk announced today as one of 3 finalists for the Byng Trophy, "awarded to the player who 'exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability'. Datsyuk has won it the past two years. He's up against Martin St. Louis and Buffalo's Jason Pominville.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Samuelsson

Hudler-Draper-Cleary

Drake-Helm-McCarty

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lilja

Lebda-Chelios

Osgood (starts)

Hasek

Hartigan (healthy scratch)

Downey (healthy scratch)

Maltby (healthy scratch)

Meech (healthy scratch)

Ericsson (healthy scratch)

Cool, love those depth charts.

But do you think Maltby is really a healthy scratch? I can't see him not getting in if he's 90%-100%.

Vs. direct feed for tonight.

mms://a1729.l2168647534.c21686.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1729/21686/v0001/reflector:54953

Cool, love those depth charts.

But do you think Maltby is really a healthy scratch? I can't see him not getting in if he's 90%-100%.

He is close to 100%. Babs said he didn't like shuffling the lineup when the previous one was playing so well.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Samuelsson

Hudler-Draper-Cleary

Drake-Helm-McCarty

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lilja

Lebda-Chelios

Osgood (starts)

Hasek

Hartigan (healthy scratch)

Downey (healthy scratch)

Maltby (healthy scratch)