chasfh

Surprising Tiger Insight

We all know the pitching has been positively awful, but surprise: the relief pitching has not been a bigger problem than the starting pitching, as had been originally predicted:

Split	IP	ERA	RA	H/9	BB/9	SO/9	HR/9	WHIP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	HBP

Starter 101.2 6.11 7.11 [B]9.07 [/B] [B]4.71[/B] 5.34 1.16 14.76 102 80 69 13 53 60 11
Relief 64.1 [B]5.04 [/B] [B]5.20 [/B] 9.27 5.20 [B]6.46 [/B] [B]0.56 [/B] 14.74 66 37 36 4 37 46 2

Anyone else come to this realization?

I did. I didn't look it up but I would have bet $20 it were true.

Leyland also foreshadowed the potential bullpen follies by saying their success would be determined by the starters. In fact that's probably true of any allegedly great bullpen.

Someone mentioned it earlier, I don't remember where though.

The good news is.. they can't get much worse. It has to get better. Right?

Someone mentioned it earlier, I don't remember where though.

The good news is.. they can't get much worse. It has to get better. Right?

Well, the starters could turn it around only for the bullpen to start sucking in return. I think it will get better.

The bullpen ERA is below 5 now.

Not terrible...if they can get it to 4.50 with these clowns and the starters pitch like they can I think the team will start to win alot of games.

Cruceta should be in the majors in 2 weeks.

It would be interesting to see the bullpen stats not including Grilli and Miner.

We all know the pitching has been positively awful, but surprise: the relief pitching has not been a bigger problem than the starting pitching, as had been originally predicted:

Split	IP	ERA	RA	H/9	BB/9	SO/9	HR/9	WHIP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	HBP

Starter 101.2 6.11 7.11 [B]9.07 [/B] [B]4.71[/B] 5.34 1.16 14.76 102 80 69 13 53 60 11
Relief 64.1 [B]5.04 [/B] [B]5.20 [/B] 9.27 5.20 [B]6.46 [/B] [B]0.56 [/B] 14.74 66 37 36 4 37 46 2

Not everyone said that the bullpen was the bigger problem.

Remember the quality starts thread. LOL

Don't forget.... quite a few of the runs scored against the starters were inherited runners the relievers let in. Verlander is suffering the most with this... A better indicator might be thw WHIP's (btw: your WHIP #'s are wrong...)

Starter's WHIP: 1.52

Reliever's WHIP: 1.60

Still pretty close numbers...

Mostly which, are bad; due to, it seems: (a) starter's struggles, (b) extended innings due to bad fielding (for all concerned), © the BP getting rocked a few times, and letting every single inherited runner score a few times, and (d) the BP starting to pitch some effective innings recently...

I predicted this. I also predicted a 7-13 start and that Gallaraga would be our saviour out of AAA. It's all right here in an envelope someplace.

I'm surprised the bullpen has been this bad considering how good Lopez, Bautista and Jones have been.

It would be interesting to see the bullpen stats not including Grilli and Miner.

2.22 ERA

Well, there it is. Most of the bullpeners have done well, but Grilli and Miner have really brought up the averages.

As for "inherited runners", it's probably too small of a game sample for that stat to be very useful yet. I do like to look at WHIP though.

One of the things that stats doesn't do is show situations

we all remember one or two runners on and a reliever comes in and gives up a two run double, which increases the ERA of the starter.

Yes, those are runners that the starter put on, but in some respects it is the responsiblity of the reliever to start them down

Don't forget.... quite a few of the runs scored against the starters were inherited runners the relievers let in. Verlander is suffering the most with this... A better indicator might be thw WHIP's (btw: your WHIP #'s are wrong...)

Starter's WHIP: 1.52

Reliever's WHIP: 1.60

That's what I was going to bring up too. We've seen it alot so far in the season where the starter leaves with guys on and the IR score right after they are pulled. Sure it's their fault the players are on the bases, but I doubt as many would have scored without the pen's help.

That's what I was going to bring up too. We've seen it alot so far in the season where the starter leaves with guys on and the IR score right after they are pulled. Sure it's their fault the players are on the bases, but I doubt as many would have scored without the pen's help.

How many quality starts have our starters lost this year because the bullpen let in runners that the starters left on base.

Not near enough to say that our starters have for the most part done anything but stink it up so far this year.

I could care less about QS, just saying that the ERA isn't counting what difference has been made. With Verlanders saturday start where it was the fun rain game, what 3 of his runs were after he left.

I could care less about QS, just saying that the ERA isn't counting what difference has been made. With Verlanders saturday start where it was the fun rain game, what 3 of his runs were after he left.

yup, it's the bullpen's fault that justin let those 3 runners on base.

yup, it's the bullpen's fault that justin let those 3 runners on base.

Good readin Tex.

The walks for both starters and relievers is stunning, shocking, horrible, inexcusable. Interestingly, the hits allowed is pretty good for both.

The team has 3 quality starts after 20 games, and Galaraga has two of them. This is insane.

Without top-15 (Verlander) and good (Bondo) seasons from these guys, I cannot see how the Tigers can win 90 games.

I am worried that Bonderman's arm may be in the danger zone due to overwork and too many pitches through injuries in previous seasons.

2.22 ERA

This is a little lower than I would have guessed. I would have though low 3's. Either way, I have felt very good about the Tigers' bullpen since the early part of last week.

Miner's bounce-back after Leyland's "talk-to" on the mound may have saved his career and given us another arm to play with.

As long as Grilli is used strictly away from Comerica, he might provide a little value, too.

Hopefully, other better pitchers will replace one or both of these guys as injuries heal. We'll see.