Shinma

Ozzie starting Round 2.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080421/SPORTS05/804210359/1053/rss17

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Chris Osgood allowed just one goal to the Predators after joining the series in progress, and that's going to lead to him starting the next series.

Advertisement

Osgood made 20 saves Sunday to shut down Nashville, 3-0, and clinch the series in Game 6. Osgood took over midway through Game 4 after a poor stretch by Dominik Hasek, who has been relegated to backup status.

"I thought goaltending was a big difference," coach Mike Babcock said. "Dom would tell you he was really good in Game 2, he got us the win in Game 2, but the puck didn't hit him as good here in Nashville. So when Ozzie came in, it gives you a change and it gives you a boost, and he's done a good job.

"Ozzie's obviously got the net right now, and it's his job to make sure Dom doesn't get back in it. But Dom's going to do everything he can to be ready."

So will Osgood. He knew coming into the season that he'd back up Hasek, so he stayed sharp through every practice and never complained. When Babcock went to him, Osgood couldn't have been readier.

"When Babs called me, I just went and played, because I didn't have any other thought in my head other than that I feel good and confident and am going to play well," Osgood said. "It was great to get a chance to play."

More relaxed than Hasek on and off the ice, Osgood's calmness spread to his teammates.

"He looks real relaxed in net, and I think it gives the whole team confidence and comfort, too," captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. "He doesn't seem to get rattled. Even when he came in in the game here, Game 4, he played real well."

You gotta ride the hot goalie, and Ozzie is on FIYAH!

I'm really happy he's getting the chance. I feel a lot more confident in him this time around than in the past.

after all those second split second scores, I feel better that Oz is in there..

If Oz remains our goaltender throughout the playoffs, will the Hasek era come to an end? I'd like to see what Jimmy Howard can do, and platooning him with Osgood next year would give us a glimpse at his capabilities.

If Oz remains our goaltender throughout the playoffs, will the Hasek era come to an end? I'd like to see what Jimmy Howard can do, and platooning him with Osgood next year would give us a glimpse at his capabilities.

This was bound to be Hasek's last year anyway.

Howard has no options remaining, so he'd have to clear waivers (and he wouldn't) if the Wings wanted him to play at Grand Rapids next year. Add in the fact that the Wings signed Ozzie to a contract extension, and the writing's been on the wall.

Osgood as #1 2008-2011 isn't a big quality upgrade if at all over Hasek 2007, but it does give us 3 more years, in what could be a seamless goalie transition. The Wings continue to defy the pundits, as they have for a decade, by refusing to get too old all at once. I'd like to see Howard get about 30 starts next season.

I thought this should have happened this year.

If Maltby comes back for round 2, any idea who will sit? I'd hate to see Helm go, that guy really gets after it!

I had presumed Milt Cuyler would sit.

Osgood as #1 2008-2011 isn't a big quality upgrade if at all over Hasek 2007, but it does give us 3 more years, in what could be a seamless goalie transition. The Wings continue to defy the pundits, as they have for a decade, by refusing to get too old all at once. I'd like to see Howard get about 30 starts next season.

I agree completely.

Ease Howard into the position by starting him out as Ozzie's back-up next year, but still give him plenty of opportunity to show what he can do, almost similar to what we have this year.

If Maltby comes back for round 2, any idea who will sit? I'd hate to see Helm go, that guy really gets after it!

I keep hearing Helm, but he's a center, so that would mean Babcock has to completely shake up the lines.

I personally think it will be McCarty.

If I were making the decisions, I wouldn't insert him into the lineup until we needed a shake up. I don't like messing with the team when things are going well, especially in the playoffs.

I keep hearing Helm, but he's a center, so that would mean Babcock has to completely shake up the lines.

If I were making the decisions, I wouldn't insert him into the lineup until we needed a shake up. I don't like messing with the team when things are going well, especially in the playoffs.

I think you have to bring back Maltby as soon as he's ready, winning streak or not. I think it will be McCarty most likely to sit too. Helm as the 2nd most likely. Samuelsson as 3rd most likely (more of a fan's dream than anything else). I'd say the chances are 50% McCarty, 45% Helm, 5% Sammy.

McCarty would make the most sense, but it'd be a shame to see him on the sidelines, especially if we play Colorado.

I'm new to this board, but am glad to see I'm not the only one who is less than impressed with Samuellson. I haven't seen anything from him since his hot start a year ago. It's by no mean a Robert Lang situation, but he just looks sluggish out there. No points for him yet this postseason, and lowest shooting percentage of any forward on the team.