Yoda

On the topic of announcers....

I figured the game thread would be moved soon so I'm bringing this to a new thread.

What are your thoughts on moving Dickerson to FSN once Mario is gone? I think he'd be fantastic on TV. I know they're two different styles. But like Sloan said, they always use Dickerson's broadcasts in commercials and stuff rather than Mario's. Make him the TV guy.

I have to think radio ratings are way down these days with all of the games being on TV now. That seems like a bit of a waste for great announcers these days. They should be doing TV.

yeah i generally like mario and rod's banter and stuff but when mario calls HRs or other big plays for us it almost sounds like he's trying NOT to sound too excited. dan dickerson lets it fly! i think it's great.. you can hear the excitement/joy in his voice. so yeah, i think dickerson would be good for tv. when's mario's contract up?

I agree, I love Dickerson. Mario is very anti-climactic.

Mario: That one is deep, it's gone....Anyway, back to you Rod, what was Monroe saying at the batting cage today?

I can't see Mario leaving anytime soon. Where would he go? He's broadcasting games for his home state team.

I think he wants badly to get some sort of national gig. That's why he makes it a point to stay unbiased. He also has that lifeless tone to his announcing that the national-type seem to like for some reason, i.e. Buck, McCarver, etc. He also uses a non-regional accent and refrains from any type of catch phrase or slang like Rod always uses. I think all of that is calculated.

I think he wants badly to get some sort of national gig. That's why he makes it a point to stay unbiased. He also has that lifeless tone to his announcing that the national-type seem to like for some reason, i.e. Buck, McCarver, etc. He also uses a non-regional accent and refrains from any type of catch phrase or slang like Rod always uses. I think all of that is calculated.

Interesting. I always thought Mario was fairly biased in our favor, albeit much less so than a Hawk or Rod.

That would probably be a good move, but I wouldn't like it because I catch most of the games on the radio. Not knowing who they'd replace Dickerson with on the radio, I'd be very hesitant to be okay with them moving him to TV.

Broadcasting games on radio calls for a different appraoch, obviously, than on TV...Dan has to describe everything going on, including the emotions of the moment, because you aren't there to witness what is happening...on TV sometimes the less said the better because things are obvious....actually, as an ex-broadcaster (32 years), I dislike TV announcers who think they are on the radio and have to fill all the dead air....too much talk...it works on radio, not on TV.....all that said, I do love Dan's enthusiasm and emotion...one other thing I personally dislike about a lot of today's announcers is the reliance on stats....sometimes it seems that is all the announcer has to say...I am not against using stats, but I prefer them being sidebars to the story, rather than the whole story....listen to tapes of Ernie and hear how he just slipped them in, rather than using them as a crutch....one other comment, baseball is great on the radio....nothing better than a cold drink, in a hammock or a lawn chair listening to the Tigers....how many hours of my childhood were spent listening to Ernie (and Van Patrick before him) paint the word picture of all the action at Tiger Stadium (Briggs Stadium when Van was doing the games)...makes me smile just thinking about it...

Radio requires more animated announcers than TV to help convey depth to the call. TV announcers always seem to be more understated as they have the pictures to do the hard work. Would Dickerson be as animated if he was on TV?

I think Baseball broadcasting is one of the few media fields where you get more recognition for being on radio than on tv....

I think it's more important to have a good announcer on the radio. On television, you can see what's happening so a good description, while appreciated, is less important.

Mario doesn't really have to leave the Tigers to take a national gig, does he? He could work Saturday games for Fox and still do the vast majority of Tiger games.

What else is there? I don't think ESPN is going to off Jon Miller any time soon.

Josh left because he wanted to go to a different team (and he's still doing the Rangers, plus lots of national stuff as well). But Mario is a hometown guy, and he left a gig with the Angels to come here.

I can't think of any reason to think Mario will leave in the near future.

The yankers announcer -- who is hardly perfect --- dos a good job of describing the various defense set ups so you can picture it

The Tiger team will just say: "Thome Shift" which says nothing to me, since I haven't every seen Thome hit (on tv or in person)

The yankers announcer -- who is hardly perfect --- dos a good job of describing the various defense set ups so you can picture it

The Tiger team will just say: "Thome Shift" which says nothing to me, since I haven't every seen Thome hit (on tv or in person)

I've heard Dan Dickerson describe the Thome Shift many times. He doesn't explain it every time - maybe not even half the time - but enough that you'll figure out what it means if you listen to their games regularly. Frankly, I don't want him to describe it every time.

Unfortunately as an announcer (imo) you can't assume that the listener has heard every game, at bat, play you have announced, every time the Thome Shift is on

////This also not a criticism of Dickerson, I really like him\\\\

There are times they will say, "pop to Inge, in the Thome Shift, which means h e was at short stop" and sometimes they won't actually say where the catch was made. Not a big deal, I suppose, but if you heard that Raburn dropped the ball last night and they didn't say he leaped over the left field wall ---- has a different sense

I fear who would replace Dickerson more than I do Mario. I don't need a good play by play guy to enjoy a game on TV, but I do need one to enjoy it on the radio. Just think if they hired a Jim Price caliber play-by-play guy to go along with the real Jim Price doing the color. How unlistenable would that be?

I think it's interesting that the organization has chosen Dickerson as the "voice of the Tigers" -- I never really picked up on the fact that they use Dickerson's voice for the commercials until Yoda mentioned it in this thread.

I don't think it really carries much weight in terms of who they prefer between Mario and Dan, though. I think any radio voice is going to be more prominent than a TV voice, only because a radio voice is virtually the entire medium while there are a lot of things that can compliment a TV voice.

Think about the Red Wings -- when I think of a game being called, I think of Ken Kal's distinctive voice, not Ken Daniels.

I don't think Mario is going anywhere, either. I think this duo has the potential to be around for a long time. They have found their niche and I think they are both enjoying themselves.

Haven't some clubs tried to simulcast TV and radio?

I'm also wondering Yoda, if you'd envision a Dan-Rod team? I'm trying to imagine what the chemistry there would wind up sounding like. Maybe OK.

Mario doesn't really have to leave the Tigers to take a national gig' date=' does he? He could work Saturday games for Fox and still do the vast majority of Tiger games.

What else is there? I don't think ESPN is going to off Jon Miller any time soon.

Josh left because he wanted to go to a different team (and he's still doing the Rangers, plus lots of national stuff as well). But Mario is a hometown guy, and he left a gig with the Angels to come here.

I can't think of any reason to think Mario will leave in the near future.[/quote']

I agree. Jon Miller is national on ESPN, but hes also the PBP guy for the Giants. He has no problem doing both, because being a national guy in baseball typically means one game a week, which wouldn't prevent you from staying with your original club.