PuNk42AE

Brian Bluhm Day

This is my first post, as I've just joined today...

I started viewing this board a couple years back during that magical Tiger season, but started making it a part of my day when I read the outpouring of support to Brian Bluhm, his family, friends and mates at VT. Re-reading those posts and the news articles today, I thought it would be fitting to dip my toes in on the anniversary of that terrible Monday.

I love the depth of knowledge and granular analysis found everyday here, and only wish I could have caught a groove with Estrepe1 on one of his awesome threads. In the spirit of all the greats that post here present and past, I'll try and bring insight and enthusiasm to all of my posts and contribute to the overall merriment of being a Detroit Sports Fan.

Three cheers to Brian! And here's to another magical season for his beloved Tigers!

I'm so sad today. I read this post and it brings back a horrible day to me.

I'll never forget the shock. It tore me up and it still does.

I honor Brian by wearing the bracelet his family sent me. It means so much to me. I'll never forget him. I'm glad I have all of you to share in my misery.

Funny thing is, if any of you were to go, I'd feel the same way.

billee

I read through a couple of the other threads. I also checked out his myspace page and looked at pictures and read what his sister wrote for him.

I'd also like to take a moment to remember the families and friends of the others who died that day.

VT & Brian in my thoughts today.

I traveled through the two busiest airports today (ATL & ORD). Unbelieveable amounts of people wearing VT clothing, hats, & pins.

We will never forget.

Thank you all for honoring and remembering Brian. If anyone has a picture of the plaque for Brian I would love to see it. Brian was one of my closest friends. He and I lived 3 doors down from each other during the last year of his life and had been friends since he came to Virginia Tech. To be honest with you, for most of my life I wasn't a baseball fan. I grew up in the DC metro area and was a very passive at best Orioles fan. Brian had such a passion for the game of baseball that I rarely ever understood. He and friend Matt Gwaltney (also an April 16th victim) had two vaults of baseball trivia for brains. When they would start spouting off history and trivia I would simply smile and nod. I have read over and over again how well thought out and articulate Brian's posts were on here. That was Brian. I think you will be happy to know that we got 200 Tiger hats shipped in to Virginia Tech shortly after the tragedy and many who knew Brian have continued to wear theirs, just like Brian did for so many years. Brian's passion for the game has rubbed off on me a bit. I'll never be as good of a fan as he was, but I try to share at least some of the zeal. In the last year of his life, he let me be part of his fantasy baseball league which was an honor. His team was playing mine the week he died and despite that he still beat me by about 14 points that week. I love seeing the Tigers succeed because I know he enjoyed watching them so much. Even in the down years, he was a loyal and thoughtful fan. I still remember when the Tigers were in the WS and he went out and bought a DVD recorder so he could keep a record of each game they played. Brian loved the game, he loved talking sports at all hours, and he loved people. Brian was a dedicated Christian and I can picture him right now sitting down with Jesus talking about a strategy for how the Tigers can get out of their early season funk. I thank you all for carrying on his legacy. I think the best way to do so is to live each day the best way you know how. None of us know how many days we have, life is precious, live well. Brian did.

Amen. Thank you for stopping in to post this. It's apparent Brian chose his friends very well.

I don't think I'm going to read the original thread. It's still tough to miss a good friend, but better than not knowing him at all.

This is my first post, as I've just joined today...

I started viewing this board a couple years back during that magical Tiger season, but started making it a part of my day when I read the outpouring of support to Brian Bluhm, his family, friends and mates at VT. Re-reading those posts and the news articles today, I thought it would be fitting to dip my toes in on the anniversary of that terrible Monday.

I love the depth of knowledge and granular analysis found everyday here, and only wish I could have caught a groove with Estrepe1 on one of his awesome threads. In the spirit of all the greats that post here present and past, I'll try and bring insight and enthusiasm to all of my posts and contribute to the overall merriment of being a Detroit Sports Fan.

Three cheers to Brian! And here's to another magical season for his beloved Tigers!

Welcome, Woodford, look forward to chatting with you.

I didn't know Brian as well as some of the other posters. I'd only joined about a month and a half before it happened. I really only had one interaction with him here.

I don't remember what the topic was, but I'd posted an opinion about one of the Tigers. He had replied to my post with his point of view, which differed from mine. I think we had one more exchange of debate, and then he posted some sound statistical reasoning (which should surprise absolutely nobody here) to back up what he was saying. It made sense to me, and I acknowledged that in a follow-up post. He replied and joked that he was disappointed that I was giving in so soon, because he was enjoying the 'back and forth'. It's all in the archive somewhere!

I quickly came to know that estrepe1 was a dude who knew his baseball, and definitely had a way with numbers.

I read a post earlier from someone who suggested it would be a good idea for newcomers to read his old posts. I think it's a good idea for anyone who really likes to read about (and discuss, of course) Tigers baseball.

This is a link that brings up the list of all the threads he started at MTS. (1000? Man, that's forum in itself!)

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/search.php?searchid=456585

It looks like this was the first thread that he started. It was a fun one to read! If you like reading about the ballpark experiences of a guy with a serious love of baseball, you'll enjoy it. It's about a Tigers witnessed in person by Brian.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2551

Rest in peace, man!

Cheers!

I never knew him, but I can feel how much he is missed.

As a college student, I feel for what happened to him. Since then, I have always been aware of where I am in a classroom. As sad as it is, this situation has made me respect life that much more and cherish what I have. I wish he could be here to see this team pull together and fight through this stretch. I'm sure he would appreciate it.

Just to give you an update on the financials:

There's just over $5,000 in the fund that many of you contributed to. I asked Brian's sister where they'd prefer the money to go. Obviously she left it up to us but said if we didn't have any real preference then it could go to either the Bluhm Fund at VT and/or a Baptist ministry he was involved in. Once we finalize the details on additional memorials at Lakeland I'll be ready to send the money.

I was thinking of putting $4000 in the VT fund and $1000 in the ministry fund. That was a very big part of his life.

Please send me some feedback if you have any objections to that or if you think it should be more or less or whatever. This isn't my money so I don't want to make it sound like I'm making an executive decision.

And of course the donation line is still open. Shoot me a PM if you want details on how to donate.

It's been a year since Brian has gone, and it's sad. I miss him tremendously. He made this board fun especially when it comes to talking baseball. I was very impressed with his knowledge of not only the Tigers, but every team in baseball. He was fun to talk to as a sports fan, and I enjoy reading his opinions. I always looked forward to talking to him.

It's sad that this happened to him and others who died in that tragedy at Virginia Tech. It's been tough to get over for sure.

It was a priviledge to know a class act in Brian Bluhm.

Just to give you an update on the financials:

There's just over $5,000 in the fund that many of you contributed to. I asked Brian's sister where they'd prefer the money to go. Obviously she left it up to us but said if we didn't have any real preference then it could go to either the Bluhm Fund at VT and/or a Baptist ministry he was involved in. Once we finalize the details on additional memorials at Lakeland I'll be ready to send the money.

I was thinking of putting $4000 in the VT fund and $1000 in the ministry fund. That was a very big part of his life.

Please send me some feedback if you have any objections to that or if you think it should be more or less or whatever. This isn't my money so I don't want to make it sound like I'm making an executive decision.

And of course the donation line is still open. Shoot me a PM if you want details on how to donate.

How about a portion going to a youth baseball program somewhere? Isn't Granderson involved in some program that is trying to revive baseball in large cities in the United States? Perhaps Curtis could help with directing the funds somewhere where they're needed/wanted.

THANK YOU for all of the love and support you guys show. It is so sad and tough without him. We miss him alot. We know he is in heaven but miss him here with us. Thank you for remembering him and keeping him in your hearts.

the only other thing I might think of for some of the money is the Boys and Girls Club of Southeast Michigan. http://www.bgcsm.org/

I know it's an important charity for Dontrelle and Grandy, and I think the Boys and Girls Club has ties to the Detroit RBI Program, so it might satisfy some of our desires to have some sort of the funding directed towards youth baseball, but whatever we do is good with me, just something else to maybe consider.