PuNk42AE

Brian Bluhm Day

having written that sort of haunts me....

I've got the bracelet on today. I can't say anything that hasn't been said already. Just thinking of the family.

I remember when I heard the news report, Brian was the first person to come to mind. I just knew he'd be checking in at any time, but started getting a really bad feeling later that evening.

We miss you Brian. God bless your family.

I just want to throw my 2 cents in real quick, I wasn't a member of this site while Brian was, the way that I heard about it was through Curtis Granderson's blog last year when he mentioned Brian and how he was a huge Tiger fan and a member of motownsports.com. Nobody deserves to go out like that, unfortunately that's the world we live in. The fact that you guys won't ever let his memory die is a great tribute.

Thank you all for honoring and remembering Brian. If anyone has a picture of the plaque for Brian I would love to see it. Brian was one of my closest friends. He and I lived 3 doors down from each other during the last year of his life and had been friends since he came to Virginia Tech. To be honest with you, for most of my life I wasn't a baseball fan. I grew up in the DC metro area and was a very passive at best Orioles fan. Brian had such a passion for the game of baseball that I rarely ever understood. He and friend Matt Gwaltney (also an April 16th victim) had two vaults of baseball trivia for brains. When they would start spouting off history and trivia I would simply smile and nod. I have read over and over again how well thought out and articulate Brian's posts were on here. That was Brian. I think you will be happy to know that we got 200 Tiger hats shipped in to Virginia Tech shortly after the tragedy and many who knew Brian have continued to wear theirs, just like Brian did for so many years. Brian's passion for the game has rubbed off on me a bit. I'll never be as good of a fan as he was, but I try to share at least some of the zeal. In the last year of his life, he let me be part of his fantasy baseball league which was an honor. His team was playing mine the week he died and despite that he still beat me by about 14 points that week. I love seeing the Tigers succeed because I know he enjoyed watching them so much. Even in the down years, he was a loyal and thoughtful fan. I still remember when the Tigers were in the WS and he went out and bought a DVD recorder so he could keep a record of each game they played. Brian loved the game, he loved talking sports at all hours, and he loved people. Brian was a dedicated Christian and I can picture him right now sitting down with Jesus talking about a strategy for how the Tigers can get out of their early season funk. I thank you all for carrying on his legacy. I think the best way to do so is to live each day the best way you know how. None of us know how many days we have, life is precious, live well. Brian did.

Wow....nice summary of a good guy's life. Thanks for sharing.

Actually that was Oblong, but I definitely feel the same. :(

Yeah, I just went in to check the original thread & was coming back to correct it before anybody noticed. D'oh.

That whole thread just tears me apart. I remember at the time reading all the posts about Angela's myspace page & thinking "This can't be." As I read the thread today, THIS post makes my heart just ache.

But I will say this, my tears are for myself & all of us - not for Brian. I know where he is. And I believe this single event, as horrific as it was, was a turning point in the history of this forum. I believe all of us who were members here @ the time this happened took stock of our lives & just what this place means to us. I believe we've been more civil with each other when we disagree (for the most part), and we've come to appreciate each other a bit more. It's helped me realize how much I love this place.

RIP Brian and all the victims of the VA Tech tragedy, we think of you this day, and every day.

HonoringBrianB, thank you for sharing your memories. We were all blessed for knowing Brian, and he has rubbed off on everyone here at MTS. These people have become like extended family for me.

I believe that Brian, if he could speak to us right now, would say that he is definitely in a better place. All of us have that same option, we can walk in the world, living for ourselves, or we can give our life over to Jesus Christ.

I know one day I'll meet Brian in Heaven, I never met him here. I have never met anyone here in person, but I know that when we give our lives over to Jesus Christ and repent then by his death, the chasm between us and Him has been closed.

There is more to this life than living in dying.

Until Glory,

Tracy Beyer

John 3:16

bluhm_stone.jpg

I Hear America Singing

by Walt Whitman

I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear,

Those of mechanics, each one singing his as it should be blithe and strong,

The carpenter singing his as he measures his plank or beam,

The mason singing his as he makes ready for work, or leaves off work,

The boatman singing what belongs to him in his boat, the deckhand

singing on the steamboat deck,

The shoemaker singing as he sits on his bench, the hatter singing as he stands,

The wood-cutter's song, the ploughboy's on his way in the morning, or

at noon intermission or at sundown,

The delicious singing of the mother, or of the young wife at work, or of

the girl sewing or washing,

Each singing what belongs to him or her and to none else,

The day what belongs to the day--at night the party of young fellows,

robust, friendly,

Singing with open mouths their strong melodious songs.

still brings back the tears. One year to the day I sit here and reflect on wearing a bracelet in honor of a man I never met. I would like to say we are all better people for his being here, along with Ringo and all the others who have left us for their final out.

I have lost a lot of people in the last 10 years, they all bring back a tear now and then. I am a better man for sharing their friendships. For those of you who are of younger years, take the time today to tell someone you love them, for tomorrow is promised to no one.

God bless our fallen comrades...and those of us who are left to carry on the mission on this spinning rock. :cool:

To my dearest family, some things I'd like to say...

but first of all, to let you know, that I arrived okay.

I'm writing this from heaven. Here I dwell with God above.

Here, there's no more tears of sadness; here is just eternal love.

Please do not be unhappy just because I'm out of sight.

Remember that I'm with you every morning, noon and night.

That day I had to leave you when my life on earth was through,

God picked me up and hugged me and He said, "I welcome you."

It's good to have you back again; you were missed while you were gone.

As for your dearest family, they'll be here later on.

I need you here badly; you're part of my plan.

There's so much that we have to do, to help our mortal man."

God gave me a list of things, that he wished for me to do.

And foremost on the list, was to watch and care for you.

And when you lie in bed at night, the day's chores put to flight.

God and I are closest to you....in the middle of the night.

When you think of my life on earth, and all those loving years

because you are only human, they are bound to bring you tears.

But do not be afraid to cry; it does relieve the pain.

Remember there would be no flowers, unless there was some rain.

I wish that I could tell you all that God has planned.

But if I were to tell you, you wouldn't understand.

But one thing is for certain, though my life on earth is o'er.

I'm closer to you now, than I ever was before.

There are many rocky roads ahead of you and many hills to climb;

but together we can do it by taking one day at a time.

It was always my philosophy and I'd like it for you too...

that as you give unto the world, the world will give to you.

If you can help somebody who's in sorrow and pain,

then you can say to God at night......"My day was not in vain."

And now I am contented....that my life has been worthwhile,

knowing as I passed along the way, I made somebody smile.

So if you meet somebody who is sad and feeling low,

just lend a hand to pick him up, as on your way you go.

When you're walking down the street, and you've got me on your mind;

I'm walking in your footsteps only half a step behind.

And when it's time for you to go.... from that body to be free,

remember you're not going.....you're coming here to me.

~Author~

Ruth Ann Mahaffey

©Copyright 1998

Thank you all for honoring and remembering Brian. If anyone has a picture of the plaque for Brian I would love to see it.

Welcome to Motownsports. It's cool to have another friend of Brian's here.

Here's a photo of the plaque we have in memory of Brian, up in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

2035805982_8c1fc320d7.jpg

Some more photos of the dedication ceremony are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/potthole/sets/72157603195797322/

RIP Brian. I miss reading your informative posts.

Prayers and thoughts to those who knew him.

I hope paradise is everything you want it to be.

We sorely miss your input on all things Tigers. You are truly missed.

While I'm saddened by the terrible tragedy of one year ago, I am comforted by the fact that Brian is spending his eternity in heaven.

R.I.P. estrepe1:disappnt:

So I logged into Myspace today and this was in the bulletins. It's from Curtis Granderson's Official Page.

For the rest of this month, I will keep Brian Bluhm in my top friends slot. Brian was one of the many students killed at Virginia Tech one year ago today.

Brian was a Tigers fan all the way. The fans such as him stuck with our team through the good and bad times. Even though I never had a chance to meet him, from what I know, he was a bright and caring young man.

Those who he left behind will never forget him. My thoughts and prayers not only go out to Brian's family and friends, but to all the family and friends of the victims of last year's tragedy.

-Curtis

Just another reason why he is my favorite Tiger.

Whatever happened to the Toledo, Erie and Lakeland plaque ideas?
In regards to Toledo, a brick has been purchased in Brian's honor and a duplicate brick will be sent to Brian's family, courtesy of the Mud Hens organization. Here is the latest info regarding the brick status as received today:
The 2008 brick order is at the engraver and we should be receiving the bricks any day now. They had some delays on their end but we wouldn't have been able to install them until now with the untimely cold weather we have had here over the last month. Once I receive the bricks I will send out any duplicates and work to schedule a time with the company that installs them. Looking at our schedule the most logical time for that time happen would be mid May but that needs to be worked out with the installer. I can tell you that the bricks will be placed outside the 3B entrance along Monroe St.

When I know more about the installtion, I will pass the information along.