Buddahfan

1st Round Pistons Opponent

Looks like Philly. I would have preferred Toronto, but Toronto needs to lose and Philly win on Wed for Toronto to finish 7th.

A Toronto win or a Philly loss and Philly is 7th. Toronto has the tie-breaker

Toronto plays at Charlotte Wed.

Philly at Chicago.s

Neither team will be much of a match for Detroit.

There's only two teams in the East that have much of a chance against Detroit in a 7 game series.

Neither team will be much of a match for Detroit.

There's only two teams in the East that have much of a chance against Detroit in a 7 game series.

Boston and Orlando,

It is impossible that we will play Cleveland, because no way that Cleveland beats Boston. Even with a healthy Lebron they would have zero chance.

I still think that we have a good chance to lose to the Magic. The whole key to the series will be the Magic's 3 point shooting. If we can shut down their 3 point shooting we will beat them if not we lose.

Not very complicated.

P.S. Philly has beat us twice this year. A. Miller matches up very well with C-Bill and could in fact more than neutralize him in a seven game series. If we can't do to them as I indicated elsewhere then we will have a good chance of losing to them.

Philadelphia has been playing well. I would rather face Toronto. I do not think Philadelphia would win, but they could force the series to 6 games and be a pain in the ***.

Wake me up when the ECF's start. Till then the Pistons have no challenge. If either of the first two series go 6 games I would be shocked.

Wake me up when the ECF's start. Till then the Pistons have no challenge. If either of the first two series go 6 games I would be shocked.

Prepared to be shocked.

Well Stern made sure his minions started pulling the playoff BS stuff early with that foul call on Delambert that allowed the Cavs to win and get the home court advantage against Washington. Lebron vs Celtics is a bigger tv rating than the Wiz vs Celtics.

We get Philly. This could be tough. Philly has picked up a lot of media and national support. However, Stern would rather us see us fall to Superman than to the the 76s. So we should win a close series with them and most likely lose to the Superman and the Magic in the second round.

Pistons fans will screen for Flips head and Stern will get Superman vs KG.

The Celts will win that series and go on to the Finals

In the West not all seeds are decided but most likely the Lakers come out of the West to allow the league to have a big media story around the Celtics and Lakers history, full of interviews with Bird, Magic etc etc.

Should be fun.

Prepared to be shocked.

Well Stern made sure his minions started pulling the playoff BS stuff early with that foul call on Delambert that allowed the Cavs to win and get the home court advantage against Washington. Lebron vs Celtics is a bigger tv rating than the Wiz vs Celtics.

We get Philly. This could be tough. Philly has picked up a lot of media and national support. However, Stern would rather us see us fall to Superman than to the the 76s. So we should win a close series with them and most likely lose to the Superman and the Magic in the second round.

Pistons fans will screen for Flips head and Stern will get Superman vs KG.

The Celts will win that series and go on to the Finals

In the West not all seeds are decided but most likely the Lakers come out of the West to allow the league to have a big media story around the Celtics and Lakers history, full of interviews with Bird, Magic etc etc.

Should be fun.

Nobody dogs the Pistons and Flip more then I do, but they are not losing in the first two rounds.

Theres no one good enough to beat them in round one and two. I just hope the pistons dont relize that.

Pistons over lakers. Thats my bet.

If anything, I think Stern/NBA would want the Pistons in the ECF for Boston to knock off. If there is one team who could be considered the juggernaut/dynasty in the East, it'd be Detroit.

Who cares (speaking in casual fandom terms) if Boston beats an unproven Orlando team?

Boston and Orlando

Actually, I was thinking Boston and Cleveland. However, you may be right that Cleveland doesn't have much of a chance to get by Boston. Personally, I hope Boston does beat them down.

Orlando is not a bad team, but I think Detroit would be a heavy favorite against them. As I recall, Detroit has dominated them pretty well during regular season games.

There is no way the Pistons lose more than one game to the sixers.

The orlando series will go six

And hopefully one of the celtics get hurt in their playoff series.

It really is a perfect setting for the Pistons. They should breeze into the ECF's without much effort. Then they hope Cleveland and Boston beat each other up for 7 games, while the Pistons rest up some.

You have to figure the western conference will be a total bloodbath. If the Pistons make the Finals, hopefully they are playing a beaten up and tired team from the West. On paper at least, it looks as if the Pistons have a pretty good path to the title.

Couple of things:

1) There is no guarantee that Cleveland even makes it to Boston.

2) I think Orlando will be tougher than most people think. 6 or 7 very hard fought games.

3) Right now, the only team in the west that scares me is Utah. They are amazing at home and just give the Pistons matchup nightmares. I might include LA to this if Bynum comes back and is effective. That's a big if.

4) San Antonio is always dangerous, but I don't see them making it out of the west this year. Manu is banged up and they really aren't very deep.

Nobody dogs the Pistons and Flip more then I do, but they are not losing in the first two rounds.

Quoted for fact =)

I actually expect to breeze through the first two rounds so easily .. the challenge will be turning it on in the ECF, which has been a problem in the past.

But to try and give reasons on why/how the Pistons could lose - come on, you're just tapping key boards here, nothing more. It won't happen.

This worked out well for us. Boston had troubles with Washington and Cleveland all season. We'll get somewhat tested vs the 76ers, and then we'll beat Orlando because we're better and we're more experienced in the playoffs. This Piston team has been coasting since about the All-Star break, so they will be rested and now have a quality bench that could start for some teams in this league. Under the radar, just how I like it.

Keep in mind, Garnett, Allen and Pierce, while they are a great combination, have never won anything in the playoffs. Our guys will not be intimidated.

Pistons will smoke Philly. Orlando will be dispatched quickly, they frustrate Howard, and Billups/Hamilton torch their mini backcourt, bad matchup's for Orlando. Cleveland and Boston are the two teams that can frustrate/break the Pistons, luckily they only have to play one of them. It's not 100% a given that Boston will beat Cleveland either, Cleveland matches up well with Boston, and Lebron owns Pierce (worse then he owns Prince).

I'm wondering how the bench will do in the playoffs. They're inexperienced, but Imo experience is overrated.

I think one of the keys to a successful playoff run is having a young guy / unexepected player step up and I see no reason why Amir or Stuckey or both can't do it. I think we know what our starters/maxiell will bring - so it's just a matter of who will be clutch.

12 hours, 59 minutes ago

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP)—Flip Saunders only cares about one more thing in the regular season. He wants his Detroit Pistons to get through Wednesday’s game in Cleveland without an injury.

After Detroit’s 115-103 victory over Minnesota on Tuesday night, Saunders said he wasn’t worried about someone getting hurt in the meaningless game against the Cavaliers, but he knocked on the wooden table as he said it.

Tuesday’s win clinched the league’s second-best record for Detroit, meaning it would have home-court advantage if it gets past Boston and the rest of the Eastern Conference an into the finals.

“That’s nice to have, but I don’t think it is critical,” Saunders said. “With the 2-3-2 format, I don’t know how much it even means.”

The Pistons won the 2004 championship without having the home-court edge in the finals, and didn’t push themselves too hard to earn it this time. In the last two weeks of the season, Saunders limited his starters to around 25 minutes a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We decided on April 1 that we were going to start rotating in the young guys, and we’d take whatever happened,” he said. “Luckily for us, the kids have done a great job, and we went something like 10-2.”

Tuesday, Detroit got 55 points from the reserves, including 20 from Jarvis Hayes and nine each from three others.

“We’re having a good time out there right now,” said Richard Hamilton, who led the starters with 18. “We’ve gotten ourselves into a rhythm and we’re ready to go.”

Detroit finished the season with a 34-7 home record, eight games better than a season ago.

“Last year, we lost sight of taking care of our home court,” said Chauncey Billups. “This year, we didn’t want to let that happen again.”

The loss, which ended Minnesota’s two-game winning streak, was its 60th of the season. The Timberwolves finish the season with a home game against Milwaukee on Wednesday.

“We tried to hang around—we were right there at the end and they just made some plays,” Minnesota coach Randy Wittman said. “Their bench just shot the lights out on us.”

Billups added 17 points and six assists against his former team, while Al Jefferson led Minnesota with 30 points.

“Everyone makes good plays on that team, even their bench,” Jefferson said. “That’s why they are one of my favorites for the playoffs. When they won it in 2004 they had a good bench, and now they’ve got young guys who can play and make shots.”

The first half followed Detroit’s recent pattern. The starters kept the game close in the opening quarter—the Pistons led 24-23 at period’s end—and the reserves convincingly won the second quarter.

This time, it was Hayes and Lindsey Hunter combining for 20 points as the Pistons pulled to a 52-43 halftime lead.

“Lindsey made shots, Jarvis made shots and we have good energy,” Saunders said. “With that group, when we’re making shots, we can turn it up defensively. That’s important.”

Detroit’s starters returned for the third period, expanding the margin to 14, then let the reserves finish off the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=Ak1Tlln0b1oWqgGFGqXrtzS8vLYF?gid=2008041508&prov=ap

Getting Inside

Every minute saved by the Pistons in the waning moments of the regular season goes into the playoff vault.

They should have vast reserves of energy when their first-round playoff series against Philadelphia begins Sunday. For the starters, this season has been the equivalent of a four-day work week.

“That’s a good thing,” power forward Rasheed Wallace said with a grin. “It’s about time.”

Iron man Tayshaun Prince leads the team in overall minutes but his game-by-game average is just 33.1. Shooting guard Richard Hamilton averages a team-high 34.0 minutes but recently sat out eight games with a sore hip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Point guard Chauncey Billups (32.6), Wallace (30.7) and center Antonio McDyess (29.5) have played even fewer minutes than a typical NBA starter. There are 65 players averaging more minutes than any of the Pistons.

Even Prince, who played for the USA National Team this summer, feels spryer than usual.

“Those first 15 or 20 games were tough to get through. After that, everything was fine,” he said. “I feel great. I’m pretty sure some of the other guys are feeling a lot better this time around. It’s just a matter of us playing more consistent in the playoffs now. Obviously, when you’re fresh and more energized from the outset, that helps out a whole lot.”

In recent weeks, the starters have played even less but the Pistons haven’t sacrificed many victories in the process. They have won eight of their last 10 heading into the regular-season finale at Cleveland Wednesday.

“I’m more excited about how the young guys are playing right now,” Wallace said. “Come that fourth quarter in the last week-and-a-half, they thought a majority of the subs were going to (sit). I was talking to Jason (Maxiell) the other night and I told him, ‘Hey, we’re not coming in the fourth quarter. It’s all on you guys to win it or lose it.’ Some games they’ve won, some they’ve lost but either way, it’s a learning experience.”

They’ve learned plenty while the starters have watched and rested up for the postseason.

As Flip Saunders describes it, “I told our guys from day one, we thought when got to the playoffs that if we were healthy and we were rested, we were going to be a tough team to beat in seven games, no matter where we play.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmlQEx0omMPAr0.TifGF8jV80bYF?slug=teamreports-2008-nba-det&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report

I still worry about McDyess being tired. Sure he hasn't played much for being a starter, but he has still played more minutes then any of the past few years.

true, but on the plus side he's only played 23 mpg in April, and has been under 30 mpg all season but November and December. I think last year he just peaked too soon(March and April). I think this year he's focusing more on rebounding and playing defense, which is where he'll really be needed come playoff time. I want a championship for that guy more than for any other reason.