slfairless

Roy Williams 'Trade Talk'

Lots...lots of teams are better than the Lions....but that isn't really relevant to the question of trading or keeping Roy. What's relevant is what will it cost to keep him, what willl we gain from trading him and ...finally...which of those two options is best suited to meet the needs of the franchise.

The fact that a man with the mentality of a cheese danish is one of the key decision makers in that process adds to the entertainment value....

That question wasn't about Roy, it was about cruzer. I'm interested in knowing how many teams cruzer thinks are better than the Lions.

The best thing the Lions can do is get the Eagles & Cowboys in a bidding war for Williams.

Quick - News Coming On Roy Williams

Written by Garry Cobb

Mike Quick who is the analyst for the Eagles games with Merrill Reese says there will be news about Roy Williams before the week is out.

Mike Quick says he thinks the Birds are going to make a major move at the wide receiver position. He talked about Roy Williams and the potential that the Eagles will make a deal to acquire a wide receiver. He says there will be news on Roy Williams before the week is out.

That means the Cowboys, Redskins or the Eagles will probably wind up with the receiver before the week is out.

Mike just finished doing a live interview in a webcast with G. Cobb and Steve Martorano from Infiniti of Westchester and he says the Birds will try to do something this week. They're in a bidding a war right now.,

When asked about the Birds fear of being upstaged by the Phillies, Flyers and Sixers, Mike said he believes the Eagles are going to do.

http://gcobb.com/content/view/1371/46/

Didn't the Lions have a better record with a tougher schedule?

They both finished 7-9 but cinci didn't cut half the team over the offseason.

They're in a bidding a war right now.

This can only be good for the Lions... if true. They still don't need to deal Roy but they can sit back and let the offers build. I just hope they only pull the trigger if it's a deal they can't refuse.

The best thing the Lions can do is get the Eagles & Cowboys in a bidding war for Williams.

Quick - News Coming On Roy Williams

Written by Garry Cobb

Mike Quick who is the analyst for the Eagles games with Merrill Reese says there will be news about Roy Williams before the week is out.

Mike Quick says he thinks the Birds are going to make a major move at the wide receiver position. He talked about Roy Williams and the potential that the Eagles will make a deal to acquire a wide receiver. He says there will be news on Roy Williams before the week is out.

That means the Cowboys, Redskins or the Eagles will probably wind up with the receiver before the week is out.

Mike just finished doing a live interview in a webcast with G. Cobb and Steve Martorano from Infiniti of Westchester and he says the Birds will try to do something this week. They're in a bidding a war right now.,

When asked about the Birds fear of being upstaged by the Phillies, Flyers and Sixers, Mike said he believes the Eagles are going to do.

http://gcobb.com/content/view/1371/46/

Old non-news. This report was fabricated, even Mike Quick was quick to deny inside info.

Better teams than the Lions:

Vikings

Packers

Giants

Cowboys

Redskins

Eagles

Saints

Cardinals

Seahawks

Steelers

Browns

Titans

Chargers

Colts

Patriots

Jaguars

Ravens

just t toss this out...

league leader in sacks just got traded...was worth a single #1 and two#3...and that is being called in some circles a haul in picks...

do not think even remote chance of getting equal to that for a wr...skins offer was considered probably over the top...and that a single #1 and a single conditional #3...

so could we just temper the expectations (two #1?...a#1 and another starter?, etc) and assume the lions are serious about just keeping him for the year...

and then adjusting to the team and market needs next year...as well as having a better understanding of what cj can and cannot do?...

if he is willing to play here (unlike oucho) and isn't going to be a problem child, why the urgency?...essentially he's playing this year for a new contract...might just be a highly motivated fella that starts hanging on to those easy catches now...

I hope the Lions keep Roy, but I'm not against a deal if they can get value for him. & by value I mean at least 3 picks in the 1st 3 rounds of this year's draft.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/04/kowalski_on_wdfn.html

Sure, the Roy Williams rumors won't seem to die. But it's all driven by sources other than the Detroit Lions or by Williams himself, says Tom Kowalski. It's not that there's absolutely no chance they'll trade him – they could always get "an offer they can't refuse."

For now, the Lions Insider thinks that there's a lot of misunderstanding of the situation.

"People say 'You gotta get rid of Roy Williams right now because he's gonna leave next year, and you're not going to get anything," he tells Sean Baligian on It is what it is. "Well, that's not true. The Lions believe, first of all, he's cheap. His contract, I think, is less than $600,000. They believe he's going to have a gangbuster year – most players due when they're on a contract year.

"The other thing is the Lions still have an option of franchising him next year. What did the (Kansas City) Chiefs just do with (Pro Bowl defensive end) Jared Allen? They franchised him, and then just got a blockbuster deal from the Vikings."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080428/SPORTS01/804280392/1049

I think it's interesting that Millen and Marinelli seem to be on totally different pages here... all while Millen has been trying to convince everyone that they are so in step that they finish each other sentences. Marinelli was clear that 'they will not trade Roy, period - there's no interest what so ever' and Millen tells the press "'Yeah, we could..." but there were no real offers.

Either way, I'm happy he's still a Lion.

The Roy Williams trade talk was a bunch of baloney.

Lions president Matt Millen said Sunday he received no serious offers for the Pro Bowl wide receiver.

"In the world of trading," Millen said, "this is how it goes: 'Hey, you interested in moving Roy?' 'Yeah, we could. It depends.' 'OK, well, we'd give you a bologna sandwich.' It always starts with a bologna sandwich."

Dallas, Philadelphia and Washington reportedly were interested in Williams. Did it ever get up to, say, a party sub?

"You think I'm kidding with the bologna sandwich," Millen said. "They were talking, 'We'll give you such and such.' I mean, it's nothing. ...

"If they're really interested in doing something, they'll say something. But if they're not, they'll just kind of throw something out there. It never got past the introductory speech."

Millen said he listened to offers for Williams as any NFL executive would listen to offers for any player, except for maybe Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Coach Rod Marinelli had denied strongly and repeatedly over the past few weeks that the Lions would trade Williams. He wants a stronger running game to set up the pass for Williams and wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

Marinelli said Sunday the Lions would have received more interest in Williams had they shown interest in trading him.

"If you open the doors, obviously, no question, people would flood in on him because he's a special player," Marinelli said. "But I think we got really a good plan for him."

Trade talks almost nearly always start out with the offering team offering a "bologna sandwich." Smart GMs try to get players in trade as cheaply as possible, so the first offer will naturally be low. Millen wanted an initial blockbuster offer for Roy and he didn't get one.

How do you know that Millen didn't try to get better offers? Were you on the phone with him? Apparently, the Lions had a price tag on Roy...the teams that called didn't want to pay it. I have no problem with them sticking to their guns and not making a deal just to make a deal.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080508/SPORTS01/805080444/1049/SPORTS01

Lions wide receiver Roy Williams talked with reporters after practice Wednesday. He touched on the trade rumors that swirled around him earlier this off-season, whether he wants to play in Dallas someday, his contract situation and the Lions' new approach on offense.

QUESTION: What did you think of all the trade talk?

"It was a lot of talk. I'm here, and that's it. I'm here. My job is to try to help this team win."

How do you feel about being here?

"I'm just happy to be in the league, man. There's a lot of guys that's not in this thing."

Did you ever seriously think you might be traded?

"From all the rumors, I thought I was out of here. Just from listening to everything. But then I listened to Coach saying I wasn't going nowhere, so that reassured me that I wasn't going anywhere."

How many times did Rod Marinelli call you?

"He just called me one time in March. He said, 'It's done. You're not going nowhere.' "

Was that all you needed to hear? Did you have any doubts after that?

"I mean, I don't think it was zero percent chance I wasn't going anywhere. I think if somebody would have come with something that could have benefited the Lions, I think I would have been out of here."

What about the anonymous source that told the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram you want to play in Dallas?

"I don't know who said that. Like I said, I'm just happy to play in the league, man. I'd play for anybody, any team. Like I said, I want to be a Detroit Lion, because this is where I got drafted. It's a challenge to me to try to get this organization from the bottom and take it to the top. That's a big challenge. It's not working too good right now, but we're slowly rising to the top."

Do you want to play in Dallas at some point? (Williams is from Odessa, Texas, and went to the University of Texas.)

"I'll play for anybody, man. But if you can get back home, everybody wants to play at home. But I can't choose that."

Next year you might be able to. (Williams' contract expires after the 2008 season.)

"I don't think I'm gone next year, either. I think they're going to slap me."

With the franchise tag?

"Yeah, I think so. That's a possibility."

Would that be good?

"I'll take whatever, man. Just as long as I can play football, I really don't care who I play for."

You want to play for a winner, though, right?

"Yeah, I want to win. And I think this place can win, man. I don't know what's the problem, what's been the problem. We got a little taste of it last year at 6-2. But that was last year, man. People are asking, 'Can we learn from that?' No, we can't learn from that. That was a whole different ballclub last year."

Has there been any contract talk at all?

"No."

How will you play with that this season? Will it be a motivating factor?

"It's not motivating. I don't play for money, man. I play for wins. The money is there. It's what this league is based on or whatever, but I don't play for money. I play for wins. Growing up, I didn't have money, so that's not a big issue to me. I've always been a winner all my life. That's all I care about."

How do you feel about the changes to the offense?

"It sounds good, man. Everything sounds good in the off-season. I've got to see it Week 1 vs. the Falcons. We're just working hard, man, doing the things we're supposed to do, and hope it pays off Week 1, and Week 1 I can answer those questions."

There is no doubt Roy Williams will be on the Lions payroll come the beginning of the '09 offseason, be it via a contract extension or a franchise tag, with the later being the more likely of the two scenarios in my mind. I also think the Lions will be more willing to shop him during the '09 offseason if they franchise him.