slfairless

Roy Williams 'Trade Talk'

The Lions had both Roy and CJ last year and they didn't use them much. Unless they can find a way to use both of them much more significantly they would be better off adding some talent to the defensive side of the ball. Maybe you are more confident in the new OC.

Charles Johnson had a bad rookie year, injured and not comfortable with the routes, then Williams got hurt, so they never really played together in peak form.

Trading up to draft Matt Ryan would be the stupidest move of all time by the Lions. I just don't see what is so great about him. I have heard about the intangibles and such, but he is not worth a top 10 pick.

Anything that seems like it would be nonsense to most NFL teams, is possible with the Lions. It wouldn't be the first time they've defied the experts and did something crazy on draft day.

Who are you going to replace Williams with? The #28 player in this draft? Thats not even close to fair compensation.

I agree #28 is not fair value, however their are other things that would go into a trade of Roy W. He's fairly injury prone, the Lions have CJ waiting in the wings, their defense is terrible, and Roy W's contract is up after the season, I can't see him resigning with the Lions all things being equal.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would give the Lions anything more than a first and a third for Roy Williams. As such, I find it hard to believe the Lions will trade him.

Charles Johnson had a bad rookie year, injured and not comfortable with the routes, then Williams got hurt, so they never really played together in peak form.

Maybe some player merging going on here...

Charles Rogers + Calvin Johnson = Charles Johnson. :wink:

As for a trade. Doubt we get an offer good enough. Lasts years draft we had good situation and got no offer good enough. Doubt that changes this year. If a deal is done it should include MULTIPLE picks. No way the 28 is enough.

We seem to be forgetting Philly in the list of potentials. Would you do it for the 18 and another pick?

I think you might be mixing up your Lions wideouts. Charles can't get enough of the green stuff and Calvin is the one still sporting the blue and silver. Puff puff... give.

EDIT: You beat me to it knox! :cheeky:

Roy only has one year left on the current deal but they can hit him with the franchise tag next season. But if the offense does well this season they'll find a way to get Roy signed to a long term deal.

CJ was hurt most of the season and don't forget it was his rookie season in a very complex offense. If they want to keep both of them they'll figure out a way to get them signed.

Reggie Wayne / Marvin Harrison

Larry Fitzgerald / Anquan Boldin

Tory Holt / Isaac Bruce

Chad Johnson / TJ Houshmanzada

Roy Williams / Calvin Johnson

There's something to be said for having two big threat WRs on the outside.

The thing to be said is only one of these five teams finished the season above .500 last year, and the one that finished above .500 was without Marvin for half the season. If they offer up a third and first I say jump on it.

If they offer #22 and a second...I'll take it. If they offer #28 and a second...maybe. If they offer either and third....it would depend on what the board looks like.

I don't think Roy has the value to get multiple #1's....yes, he's our best offensive player, but that's roughly on par with being the best ice hockey player in Kenya.

...We seem to be forgetting Philly in the list of potentials. Would you do it for the 18 and another pick?

If it's the #18 and at least a 3rd rounder...

Decidedly so.

The thing to be said is only one of these five teams finished the season above .500 last year, and the one that finished above .500 was without Marvin for half the season. If they offer up a third and first I say jump on it.

You need to view the big picture of overall offensive output instead of just looking at the last season bubble. There are many things that happened last season to help drag this out of context... Isaac Bruce lost a step and STL didn't have a QB most of the season... Fitzgerald and Boldin had injury problems all season... CJ was a rookie in a very complex offense... and Harrison was injured half the season.

I don't think Roy has the value to get multiple #1's....yes, he's our best offensive player, but that's roughly on par with being the best ice hockey player in Kenya.

I think what many seem to be overlooking is the fact that the Lions don't need to deal Roy to anyone. If someone wants him bad enough they need to come strong or stay home and the Lions will get along just fine with CJ and Roy outside.

PS: Here's a clue as to what we could possibly receive in a trade offer for Roy:

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

How serious are the Cincinnati Bengals about not giving in to Chad Johnson's trade demands?

Serious enough to swat away an offer from the Washington Redskins that could have netted the Bengals two first-round draft picks, team and league sources said.

The Redskins offered its first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said.

It was not the first time the Redskins approached the Bengals about a deal, but it was the first significant proposal.

The Bengals have not only rejected the Redskins, but two other NFC East suitors -- the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles -- have been informed that there has been no change in the team's position that Johnson will not be traded.

I think what many seem to be overlooking is the fact that the Lions don't need to deal Roy to anyone. If someone wants him bad enough they need to come strong or stay home and the Lions will get along just fine with CJ and Roy outside.

That's an excellent point....provided they think they can sign him to a new contract next year, or they don't mind putting the franchise tag on him

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

How serious are the Cincinnati Bengals about not giving in to Chad Johnson's trade demands?

Not only did they "swat away" the skins offer but they took a preemptive strike at the Cowboys and Eagles just to let everyone know they shouldn't even waste their time making an offer. I think it's safe to say the Bengals are pretty serious... Chad isn't going anywhere.

Why aren't people piling on the Bengals. Many here have been vocal about the Lions being foolish for holding 2 franchise WR's in spite of their many defensive needs. Haven't the Bengals just chosen the exact same tact.

The bengals don't have as many holes and I think many lions fans are just getting so caught up in the draft that the thought of 'extra' picks seem exciting.

The bengals don't have as many holes and I think many lions fans are just getting so caught up in the draft that the thought of 'extra' picks seem exciting.

Didn't the Lions have a better record with a tougher schedule?

Why aren't people piling on the Bengals. Many here have been vocal about the Lions being foolish for holding 2 franchise WR's in spite of their many defensive needs. Haven't the Bengals just chosen the exact same tact.

The difference being the Bengals have a supporting cast and can afford the luxury of having two upper echelon WRs.

The difference being the Bengals have a supporting cast and can afford the luxury of having two upper echelon WRs.

Dude, that team is a mess.

Lots...lots of teams are better than the Lions....but that isn't really relevant to the question of trading or keeping Roy. What's relevant is what will it cost to keep him, what willl we gain from trading him and ...finally...which of those two options is best suited to meet the needs of the franchise.

The fact that a man with the mentality of a cheese danish is one of the key decision makers in that process adds to the entertainment value....

The fact that a man with the mentality of a cheese danish is one of the key decision makers in that process adds to the entertainment value....

There is no questioning the comic appeal the Lions offer to the NFL world. Following them is like watching a movie that is so bad it's actually good.