slfairless

Roy Williams 'Trade Talk'

I don't get it. Seriously, I don't.

Were you listening to The Dude's story? You have no frame of reference here. You're like a child that wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know. We're talking about unchecked agression here, dude. Forget it, you're out of your element.

Trading up to draft Matt Ryan would be the stupidest move of all time by the Lions. I just don't see what is so great about him. I have heard about the intangibles and such, but he is not worth a top 10 pick.

You also don't understand the term sarcasm
Um... Okaaay... I'm pretty sure it wasn't sarcasm, I think it was a Big Lebowsky (or however its spelled) joke.

Trading up to draft Matt Ryan would be the stupidest move of all time by the Lions. I just don't see what is so great about him. I have heard about the intangibles and such, but he is not worth a top 10 pick.
What?!? He's gonna be better than Brady and Manning put together! He's gonna win 7 super bowls, pass for 100000 yards and be a first-ballot HOF! ... Oops, sorry... That was my inner Todd McShay typing. I totally agree. Matt Ryan is overrated!

Were you listening to The Dude's story? You have no frame of reference here. You're like a child that wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know. We're talking about unchecked agression here, dude. Forget it, you're out of your element.

This is what happens when you...you know... :classic:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/04/rick_gosselin.html

Will the Detroit Lions trade Roy Williams to the Dallas Cowboys? We won't know for sure until that opportunity presents itself during the NFL draft Saturday, says Dallas Morning News NFL writer Rick Gosselin.This is the fourth installment of MLive's five-part series, featuring national draft experts discussing their opinions on the upcoming NFL Draft. Bob Gaunt, aka Blackhat24, conducts the five interviews.

Today, we're speaking with Rick Gosselin. He's the NFL columnist for the Dallas Morning News, and is well known throughout the country, not only for his insightful writing, but for the fantastic accuracy of his annual mock drafts.

With the swirling rumors of the Dallas Cowboys' interest in Lions wideout Roy Williams, Gosselin says that he doesn't see anything happening before the draft, but that Detroit would have to consider the offer if it comes on draft day.

"The Lions have two lead receivers in Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams," Gosselin explains. "Now, that's a great luxury to have, but it is a luxury. Defense still wins championships, and the Lions are the worst defense in the NFL. This unit needs to be overhauled, obviously.

"I think the Lions can start by taking a defensive player at 15, but at 28, when the Cowboys are on the clock, say they pick up the phone and offer that pick for Roy Williams. I think that pick will look more attractive on the clock than it does today. The Lions can have a defensive starter on a unit in dire need of some fresh faces and fast legs."

Gosselin also thinks that if he's available when they're on the clock in the first round, the Lions should jump at the opportunity to draft Florida Gators defensive end Derrick Harvey.

"If Harvey slips to them at 15," he says, "I would say that's a marriage of best value on the board and need."

Gosselin's problem is that he is looking at the situation logically - he is not thinking like Millen.

Who are you going to replace Williams with? The #28 player in this draft? Thats not even close to fair compensation.

Who are you going to replace Williams with? The #28 player in this draft? Thats not even close to fair compensation.

Perhaps the 28th overall pick and a low 2nd / high 3rd rounder would be fair compensation?

Perhaps the 28th overall pick and a low 2nd / high 3rd rounder would be fair compensation?

No, that doesn't do a thing for me. It must be a HR type of deal, since the best player in that deal is Williams. I'd insist on at least their two first rounders, with other picks tacked on. The Lions have no reason to trade their best offensive player right now.

No, that doesn't do a thing for me. It must be a HR type of deal, since the best player in that deal is Williams. I'd insist on at least their two first rounders, with other picks tacked on. The Lions have no reason to trade their best offensive player right now.

I agree with the principle that says get as much as possible for Roy given his stature as the Lions' best offensive player. But.....he a) is in a contract year, b) will want a BOATLOAD of $$$, c) if resigned he and Calvin Johnson will take up a significant portion of available cap space, d) has expressed a desire to play for Dallas, and e) would get the Lions picks to address much more pressing needs if traded. Given Roy's value and the perceived interest from multiple teams, I think it makes the most sense to trade him IF they get a good deal in return (which I think they would since it looks like multiple teams will be making offers).

Roy isn't going to get two 1sts.

If Dallas offered #28 and #61, I might do that deal, probability factor of 90/10. I don't think they'd offer even that much though. If the offer were #28 and a 3rd, I'd probably still wanna do that deal, but it's more like 50/50. If they can't offer that much... I'd rather keep him here.

If Dallas were to overpay, and offer #28, #61, and a 4th or 5th, I wouldn't hesitate to pull that trigger. Not a chance. Too much opportunity to build a team that Marinelli wants, even though he also wants Roy.

Furrey and McDonald.

The point is that the Lions have talent at WR that they can't take advantage of because the other areas of the team are so weak. So the idea is that you don't really need to replace Williams, you just use a WR core of CJ, Furrey and McDonald - which is still a stronger unit than most of the Lions' other units.

But it doesn't really matter, because the Lions don't think like this. They think that their LBs, OL, DL, and RBs will be adequate. That's how they differ from most objective people who are analyzing them.

Furrey and McDonald.

That weakens the offense considerably.

It's why there has to be a HUGE hesitation factor in any RW trade possibility.

Would you rather have RW and CJ on the outside, with McDonald and/or Furrey in the slot (depending on 3-wide or 4-wide), or RW & CJ on the outside with 2 TE's or RB/FB & 1 TE....

Or CJ and McDonald on the outside with Furrey in the slot?

If Dallas is offering the #28 ONLY, I say a resounding NO to that trade. And if their best offer is #28 and a 3rd, I have a strong interest in still saying NO. The badly weakened offense may not be made back up with the extra 3rd rounder.... I'll want someone better than McDonald or Furrey to at least provide some competition for a 2nd outside receiver... Any good 3rd round WR possibilities...?

It must be a HR type of deal, since the best player in that deal is Williams. I'd insist on at least their two first rounders, with other picks tacked on. The Lions have no reason to trade their best offensive player right now.

Dead on! This is the only scenario that should get the Lions to consider dealing Roy.

Furrey and McDonald.

Please be serious. They are both good role players, not front line players.

The point is that the Lions have talent at WR that they can't take advantage of because the other areas of the team are so weak. So the idea is that you don't really need to replace Williams, you just use a WR core of CJ, Furrey and McDonald - which is still a stronger unit than most of the Lions' other units.

But it doesn't really matter, because the Lions don't think like this. They think that their LBs, OL, DL, and RBs will be adequate. That's how they differ from most objective people who are analyzing them.

They need to bring the rest of the talent up to the level of the WR talent, not otherwise. Besides, it makes sense to put money into that position. They score TD's, stretch the field, and usually stay healthy. They aren't subject to the repeated beatings that RB's do.

The Lions had both Roy and CJ last year and they didn't use them much. Unless they can find a way to use both of them much more significantly they would be better off adding some talent to the defensive side of the ball. Maybe you are more confident in the new OC.

CJ was hurt most of the season and don't forget it was his rookie season in a very complex offense. If they want to keep both of them they'll figure out a way to get them signed.

Reggie Wayne / Marvin Harrison

Larry Fitzgerald / Anquan Boldin

Tory Holt / Isaac Bruce

Chad Johnson / TJ Houshmanzada

Roy Williams / Calvin Johnson

There's something to be said for having two big threat WRs on the outside.

Not only that, but they need to build on the talent they have. Reggie Wayne and Harrison have been enhanced with Dallas Clark and Joseph Addai. Keep on building, trading Williams would be taking a huge step back the Lions don't need to take. Nor can they afford to.

I'm all for keeping Roy, it doesn't make sense to trade him for anything less than 2 first rounders or a first rounder and a young starter.