slfairless

Roy Williams 'Trade Talk'

there are no WR's as good as Roy williams in this years draft.

Oh and would you be wanting more money when your the 6th highest payed WR?

Roy and CJ sould have a higher yards per catch this season with the stronger emphasis on the running game. (If) we can sustain a running game PLAY ACTION FOOTBALL ALL DAY BABY!!!!!!

I don't think they'd give us both 1st rounders for Roy.

But if they offered their 1st, 2nd, and 4th... would you say yes? (to anyone who wants to comment...).

It'd have to be considered.

Mendenhall, Mayo, and (2) 2nd's, 3rd's, and 4th's to pick up another WR, and fill multiple needs on the O&D-Line, another LB'er, and another CB.

IE: Oniel Cousins & Charles Godfrey in the 3rd, Dre Moore with the later 2nd rounder, Mike McGlynn in the 4th... and there's still 1 more 2nd and 1 more 4th to choose between a OLB and a WR...

I would find that very, VERY, hard to pass up....

The Lions should trade Roy for picks and prospects just based on the sound principle that no one single NFL team should devote a significant percentage of their cap space to wide receivers, which they would be doing if they resigned Roy to a mega-contract.

The Lions should trade Roy for picks and prospects just based on the sound principle that no one single NFL team should devote a significant percentage of their cap space to wide receivers, which they would be doing if they resigned Roy to a mega-contract.

I don't think this holds as much water as before. When the NFL added on 8 million plus to each cap a year ago, it should have changed some of the rules that applied before. I know what you are saying, but times have changed.

I don't think this holds as much water as before. When the NFL added on 8 million plus to each cap a year ago, it should have changed some of the rules that applied before. I know what you are saying, but times have changed.

Cruzer, isn't it reasonable to conclude that all contracts have gone up by the pecentage that the cap increased, thus over a relatively short period of time rendering that cap increase "null and void"?

Cruzer, isn't it reasonable to conclude that all contracts have gone up by the pecentage that the cap increased, thus over a relatively short period of time rendering that cap increase "null and void"?

Just the new contracts. Players playing under the "old" system were playing under different ground rules, and you must allow that the NFL has a greater turnover rate than most sports. The contracts that are most effected seams to be the rookie contracts, especially those in the top 10.

isiah wondering how millen keeps his job?...

nice double mr. golden...can't usually get two birds with one stone...

If we can get 3 picks & a player for him, or even a first rounder this year & next and a player, I'd consider it. It's tough to get enough value to trade a guy with Roy's potential.

Right now Roy's value will never be higher. In my dream scenario the Lions take Chris Williams #1 & trade Roy for #22 (Mayo) & Marcus Spears who has been dangled by the Cowboys.

If they want to establish the running game next year, Roy won't be emphasized as much and his value decreased. Take a rb at #2 & you would then be able to add 4 starters, 2 on both sides of the ball and shore up your biggest needs.

But with the Lion's luck they'll keep Williams, he'll get injured for most of the year & they'll be stuck franchising a depreciating asset.

Marcus Spears has no value to the Lions right now. They need speed rushers, and he isn't close to that. I wouldn't take any less than the two firsts, which I would turn one into Devin Thomas, who I think is fantastic.

Considering the following history...

Randy Moss (30) = 4th round pick

Darrel Jackson (28) = 4th round pick

Deion Branch (26) = 1st round pick

Roy Williams (26) = ????

My guess is a #20 pick in the 1st round is the best the Lions can expect. Expecting (2) #1 picks or a 1st round pick and 2 players won't be happening.

It could be Dallas #28 pick and Bobby Carpenter for Roy Williams and a 5th round pick.

Drafttek is doing a "live" mock right now and i'm trying to unload Roy Williams and the deal is looking like this. Detroit gets #28 and Carpenter, Dallas gets Roy, and they swap 2nd round picks. In that scenario I could imagine taking O-line and Running Back in 1st since Carpenter (a VERY good cover LB) would definitely improve our defense right away.

Detroit : Roy Williams, #45

Dallas : Bobby Carpenter, #28, #61

I agree that the Lions should only deal if it's for both of the first rounders but should we really turn around and spend one of them on a WR? Williams, Mayo, and Talib would be an awesome haul in the first.

I agree that the Lions should only deal if it's for both of the first rounders but should we really turn around and spend one of them on a WR? Williams, Mayo, and Talib would be an awesome haul in the first.

I disagree on Talib. Williams is pretty likely to not to fall to 15. Signing Roy is a high priority to me.

I disagree on Talib. Williams is pretty likely to not to fall to 15. Signing Roy is a high priority to me.

Why are you so high on Roy Williams? IMHO, he has had 1 good season in Detroit and that is it.

Why are you so high on Roy Williams? IMHO, he has had 1 good season in Detroit and that is it.

He's an elite receiver, and the Lions best player on offense right now. His skill set is not easy to acquire.

Roy doesn't run great routes, drops too many balls and doesn't make big plays in in the red zone. Still, he manages to be one of the best WR's in the NFC. Think about where he'll be as a player once he figures these things out. He has great work ethic and all the physical tools to become the best playmaker in the league.

Drafttek is doing a "live" mock right now and i'm trying to unload Roy Williams and the deal is looking like this. Detroit gets #28 and Carpenter, Dallas gets Roy, and they swap 2nd round picks. In that scenario I could imagine taking O-line and Running Back in 1st since Carpenter (a VERY good cover LB) would definitely improve our defense right away.

Detroit : Roy Williams, #45

Dallas : Bobby Carpenter, #28, #61

I'm not real high on Bobby Carpenter. He's been mainly a special teams guy since being picked in the 1st round and is much closer to the label of draft day bust than defensive improvement. He may have been a good cover LB three years ago at Ohio State but all he's proven since coming into the league is that he's not a good fit anywhere in a 3-4 defense. A change of scenery would probably help him and I'd be for the Lions taking a flyer if the risk was minmal but in no way should this guy be one of the centerpieces in a deal for Roy.

It would be a total coup for Dallas to trade a guy they wish they never drafted and a late 1st round pick for a pro bowler that hasn't even come close to reaching his full potential.

I think we should trade roy williams for bledsoe and a 6th rounder. After all that would give us a qb for this year and we could pick a QB at 6th who would lead us to 3 super bowls. I know its a long shot but we have to take the chance now before we lose roy.

I think we should trade roy williams for bledsoe and a 6th rounder. After all that would give us a qb for this year and we could pick a QB at 6th who would lead us to 3 super bowls. I know its a long shot but we have to take the chance now before we lose roy.

Who peed on your rug?

http://gcobb.com/content/view/1371/46/

Mike Quick who is the analyst for the Eagles games with Merrill Reese says there will be news about Roy Williams before the week is out.

Mike Quick says he thinks the Birds are going to make a major move at the wide receiver position. He talked about Roy Williams and the potential that the Eagles will make a deal to acquire a wide receiver. He says there will be news on Roy Williams before the week is out.

That means the Cowboys, Redskins or the Eagles will probably wind up with the receiver before the week is out.

Mike just finished doing a live interview in a webcast with G. Cobb and Steve Martorano from Infiniti of Westchester and he says the Birds will try to do something this week. They're in a bidding a war right now.,

When asked about the Birds fear of being upstaged by the Phillies, Flyers and Sixers, Mike said he believes the Eagles are going to do something this weekend to take back all the attention.

As always take with a large grain of salt this time of year...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080421/SPORTS01/80421070/1049

NFL DRAFT

Lions address rumors as draft nears

By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • April 21, 2008

The NFL draft is six days away. That means teams are keeping their cards close to the vest while rumors run rampant, and it’s time to try to sort the information from the misinformation.

Lions president Matt Millen has been an active trader, especially in the draft, and there is a lot of talk about moves he might make this weekend.

Will the Lions trade wide receiver Roy Williams? Will they try to move up to take Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan? Will they move back from No. 15? Will they maneuver later?

There has been trade talk involving Williams for weeks, fueled by two main things: The Lions drafted wide receiver Calvin Johnson second overall last year, and Williams is in the last year of his contract.

Coach Rod Marinelli has denied the Lions will trade Williams — strongly and repeatedly — comparing himself to an old dad shooing away suitors for his pretty daughter.

But the talk persists. In the latest episode, Eagles radio analyst Mike Quick says there will be news on Williams before the week is out. GCobb.com — a Web site run by former Lions, Eagles and Cowboys linebacker Garry Cobb, now a Philadelphia media personality — reports “that means the Cowboys, Redskins or the Eagles will probably wind up with the receiver.”

At the Lions’ pre-draft news conference today, Millen was asked if there was any way the Lions would trade Williams. He just laughed.

Seated next to Millen, Marinelli said: “Don’t even ask me.” Asked if that meant no, Millen continued to laugh and said: “That thing is brutal.”

The Lions do not appear to be in the market for a quarterback. They drafted Drew Stanton out of Michigan State in the second round last year.

Stanton sat out last season with a knee injury. But he has recovered, and Marinelli has said Stanton and Dan Orlovsky, a fifth-round pick in 2005, will have a legitimate shot to compete with veteran Jon Kitna.

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, however, writes on SI.com: “If Ryan is sitting there at six or seven, I expect Detroit, Carolina and Chicago to inquire about trading up.”

At the news conference, Marinelli was asked if quarterback was a priority at all in the draft and about Stanton.

“To me, it’s just a long process yet,” Marinelli said. “But he’s healthy and he’s working. It looks like he’s getting a little bit better. But there’s a lot of hurdles left before the season starts.”

So that’s not something the Lions are really focused on as far as the draft?

“You never know,” Marinelli said.

Told of the report about possibly trading up for Ryan, Marinelli asked whose report it was. He was told it was King’s, then asked for his view of Stanton’s future.

“He was injured last year, and he’s just getting a chance,” Marinelli said. “We like him. We liked him last year. But it’s just a process right now, getting guys ready to play.”

Millen spoke about maneuvering. At one point, he sounded content to stay at No. 15.

“We’ll be patient, and then we’ll just wait and see what’s there,” Millen said. “There will be a good player for us to pick at 15.”

But at another point, talking about trading in general, he said it all depended on how players were coming off the board.

“Last year, we were sitting there,” Millen said. “I’m like, ‘Coach, if we want something, we’re going to have to do one, because they’re moving off the board too fast.’ And so that dictated we moved. Sometimes you don’t have to do anything.”

Asked about the possibility of trading down from No. 15, Millen said: “Sure.

Absolutely. You’ll cut the best deal that you can. You have to read the board, and it’s more than just who we like and where we’re at. You have to see what the rest of the league is doing.”

Marinelli seems most worried about another team leapfrogging the Lions to take a player they like.

“I think it’s just so important that we do our work quietly, keep our business to ourselves,” Marinelli said. “That’s the best way to do it.”

First off, Bledsoe retired. Secondly, Roy is worth much more than a 6th rounder. Thirdly(is that even a word??), Millen has never made a good 6th round pick. He's had two good picks in the last 5 rounds. Finally, the best QB's left in the 6th would probably be Colt Brennan and Matt Flynn. I'm not highly confident in either one.

Who peed on your rug?

Fantastic!

350px-The.Big.Lebowski.1998.Screenshot.1.jpg