slfairless

Roy Williams 'Trade Talk'

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/567615.html

Lions receiver understands nature of NFL

AUSTIN -- Detroit Lions receiver Roy Williams has heard all the talk and rumors about a possible draft-day trade to the Dallas Cowboys and said he is prepared for whatever happens.

The former Longhorns star -- who was in Austin over the weekend for the Texas Relays and the Michael Huff celebrity basketball game -- wants to stay in Detroit.

"Of course I want to stay in Detroit," Williams said. "Everybody wants to stay with the team that drafted them. They are telling me I am going to be a Lion for at least one more season. That's what I have on my mind."

Williams knows what he's been told by the Lions, but he also understands the business of the game. He recited the money the team has guaranteed to fellow Lions receiver Calvin Johnson. Williams is in the final year of his contract and the Lions have yet to approach him about an extension.

So even though he has been told he will be in Detroit next season, he understands there remains the question of, "What are they going to do with me?"

"Could they pay me? Yes," Williams said. "Will they pay me? That's the question that needs to be answered.

"If I get franchised, I get franchised. If they want to go in another direction, that is part of the business."

The Lions could put the franchise tag on Williams after the season, guaranteeing him roughly $9 million in 2009. But the question is not going away. Either then or now, Detroit will have to decide to either commit to a long-term contract with Williams or let him walk away.

The question is coming up now because the Cowboys are searching for a veteran receiver. And Williams' uncertain status makes him a prime target for a possible draft-day trade. He is a Pro Bowl receiver who can put the "wow" in the Cowboys' offense that owner Jerry Jones promised next year and who is young enough to take over for Terrell Owens as the team's go-to receiver in the years to come.

And if the Lions hope to get something in return for Williams rather than let him walk as a free agent and/or cause resentment by holding him hostage for a year with the franchise tag, this might be a prime opportunity.

"I have thought about all of that," Williams said. "I just do what I do. I am getting prepared for the season. I just want to play ball. If things don't work out, I wouldn't mind playing anywhere."

A source close to Williams said he wants to play for the Cowboys if he isn't in Detroit.

A politically correct Williams wouldn't go that far, saying, "Man, you know I can't answer that question."

When asked if he grew up a fan of the Cowboys in Odessa, he quipped, "Of course, I'm from Texas."

Williams said he wouldn't have a problem playing with Owens or same-name safety Roy Williams.

"I could see myself playing with anybody," Williams said. "Everybody talks about T.O. All T.O. wants to do is win. If he don't get any balls and you win, you won't hear nothing from him. But if you don't win, you are going to hear from him, but that goes with any big-time receiver. You want to help your team win. If you don't, you are going to be [upset]. And with Roy, at least I don't have to worry about that hit. They have a good football team."

Williams reiterated that his goal is to stay in Detroit, but admitted that he is somewhat frustrated about his uncertain future there.

"The only thing I can do is play ball," Williams said. "It's a little disappointing. That's the nature of this business. Whatever they do with me, they do with me."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080402/BLOG21/80402033/1049/SPORTS01

PALM BEACH' date=' Fla. – Lions coach Rod Marinelli sat down for breakfast with reporters this morning at the NFL owners’ meetings, and one of the first questions was about the latest Roy Williams trade scenario.

“There’s another one?” Marinelli said over his steak and eggs. “Who started this?”

Yep. Another one. The Cowboys want to add a veteran wide receiver before the draft, and Williams is one of their targets.

As he has many times before – as he did as recently as Sunday – Marinelli strongly quashed the trade talk. He wants Williams and Calvin Johnson making big catches on the outside this season.

“No,” Marinelli said. “I’ll say it again: He’s not going anywhere. No. There’s no way. Like I’ve said, I want to see those two big trees playing together.

“Like I’ve said to these guys …”

Marinelli gestured to two Detroit reporters.

“I’m like the dad sitting at the doorway,” Marinelli continued. “Nobody’s dating my daughter. Nobody’s coming in. Just no. He looks fabulous right now. He’s in that position for having a tremendous year, I think. So, just no.”

Is there anything that could change the Lions’ mind? The Cowboys have two first-round picks. What if they offer the Lions the 28th overall pick straight-up for Williams?

“No,” Marinelli said. “I just think for our team right now, where we’re at, we need his presence. He’s one of our leaders. He can be a guy that’s going to be special for us.”

The Ft. Worth Star-Telegram quoted an anonymous source that said Williams “wants to play in Dallas.” Marinelli said that didn’t bother him. Williams has said he wants to stay in Detroit, and he’s acting like it in the off-season program.

“He’s out working extremely hard,” Marinelli said. “It all seems fine.”

Marinelli called Williams a while back when trade rumors first started circulating.

“I said, ‘You’re going to be here. I just want to make sure you know that. You’re wanted here. I want to see you succeed here,’ ” Marinelli said.

Marinelli has no plans to make another call.

“I don’t think I have to say the same words again,” Marinelli said.

[b']JUST ASKING

Some in Dallas think the 28th pick in the draft could look more attractive to the Lions when they are on the clock April 26th.

No matter whom the Lions draft at No. 15, another good player who could fill another need could sitting there on the board. Maybe a right tackle like Boston College's Gosder Cherilus. Maybe a linebacker like Oklahoma's Curtis Lofton or Tennessee's Jerod Mayo. We could go on.

Hmm. The Lions have Calvin Johnson. Williams is in the last year of his contract, and it would be expensive to keep two wide receivers like that. The Lions have Shaun McDonald and Mike Furrey, and Furrey, despite being short, has racked up catches on the outside before. What would you do?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080402/BLOG21/80402033/1049/SPORTS01

PALM BEACH' date=' Fla. – The Roy Williams trade talk will not go away. But I still have no reason to believe the Lions will do anything but what they have said they will do – keep him.

The Ft. Worth Star-Telegram reports the Cowboys could make a play for Williams. The paper quotes an anonymous source saying Williams, an Odessa native who played at Texas, “wants to play in Dallas.”

At the NFL owners’ meetings today, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones made it clear he wants to add a veteran wide receiver soon.

“I don’t want to dismiss that we could look at a veteran situation, and we could look at a veteran situation before the draft,” Jones said, according to the Star-Telegram. “This is that time of year when you do get good value for players, and picks for players get good value. Players are depreciated right now before the draft; picks are premium. You’ve got to have your eyes open, and that’s what we’re doing.”

Now, we all know Roy. He’s a Texas guy. He loves Texas. He talks about Texas all the time. But he’s under contract for another year. Even if it’s true that he wants to play in Dallas – despite saying he wants to stay in Detroit – what he wants doesn’t matter unless he holds out or something to gain leverage. He hasn’t done anything like that.

Now, we all know Jerry, too. What Jerry wants, Jerry usually gets. But if Jerry thinks he’s going to get Roy for some draft picks, it better be a boatload of draft picks – and high ones – because unless he really overpays and makes the Lions an offer they cannot refuse, I don’t see the Lions changing course on this.

Coach Rod Marinelli has denied the Lions will trade Williams multiple times. I don’t think he’s playing poker, trying to get the best deal. If he were, he wouldn’t deny it this way, this forcefully. He has called Williams personally to tell him not to believe the rumors. He has told reporters to look into his eyes.

My favorite quote? Asked about teams calling about Roy, anyway, Marinelli said: “I guess probably when you’re a beautiful girl, everybody keeps knocking on your door for a date. Then the old dad keeps coming out and says, ‘Nope.’ ”

Marinelli has reiterated down here that the Lions will not trade Williams. If the Lions turn around and trade Williams, he’s going to have a lot of explaining to do. I just don’t see it.

Nope.

The Lions have not spoken to Williams about a contract extension. Why? My guess is they want to keep that carrot in front of Williams. If he has a great season and the Lions start winning, maybe he’ll be happier in Detroit and both sides will be happy to do a long-term deal.

Remember, the Lions always have the option of using the franchise tag on Williams to essentially keep him off the free-agent market. That would allow them to keep him or trade him next year.

[/quote']

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/04/ok_one_more_time_williams_isnt.html

The rumors of a potential trade involving Detroit Lions receiver Roy Williams won't go away, but -- once again -- there is nothing to it. Yes, both the Eagles and Cowboys (and a few others) would love to have Williams, but the Lions aren't interested in dealing him.

While I still say there's a small chance there could be a draft-day trade, the only way that's going to happen is if the Lions get a blockbuster bargain -- a Herschel Walker type deal -- which they simply can't refuse. And that's not going to happen, so get over it.

I don't think whether the Lions want to trade Roy or not is the issue any longer. The real question is would Dallas be willing to give the Lions enough to make the deal possible.

I'm going to speculate that Rod is secretly lusting for Derek Harvey at #15. If he's there, Roy stays. If he isn't and they're forced to go another direction (Mendenhall or an OT) they'll swap Roy for #28 and Marcus Spears. Spears is better than what's left & will succeed in a 4-3 defense.

Roy is so much better than the 28th pick in the draft. It's not even close. Now, if the Cowboys started talking #22 AND #28 that's a different story.

I would ask for their #22 and at least 2 other players .. or their 1st rounders in each of the next 4 drafts to make it happen.

If Cowboys offer less than their 2 first round picks for Roy Williams, then no trade.

If Cowboys offer less than their 2 first round picks for Roy Williams, then no trade.

..and with Mario Manningham dropping like a load of bricks, he may be there in later rounds once the other needs are addressed.

Could it be that it's just the Cowboys floating a trial balloon to see what it would take? Maybe Millen is trying to work the best deal, while Marinelli tries to keep Roy focused on the season. Kinda like good cop/bad cop.

I would ask for their #22 and at least 2 other players .

Yeah you're probably right, I sold too cheap. Considering that the Eagles want him too and they have #19....

Considering the following history...

Randy Moss (30) = 4th round pick

Darrel Jackson (28) = 4th round pick

Deion Branch (26) = 1st round pick

Roy Williams (26) = ????

My guess is a #20 pick in the 1st round is the best the Lions can expect. Expecting (2) #1 picks or a 1st round pick and 2 players won't be happening.

It could be Dallas #28 pick and Bobby Carpenter for Roy Williams and a 5th round pick.

My guess is a #20 pick in the 1st round is the best the Lions can expect. Expecting (2) #1 picks or a 1st round pick and 2 players won't be happening.

You forget the supply and demand dynamic. Cowboys & Eagles both need a WR & are competing for the same playoff spot. RW is better than any receiver in the draft so he's worth more than a #1 choice. If Dallas wants to keep #22 and give us #28 they'll have to include 2 players to beat Philly's probable offer of #19 and a player (Lito Shepard?).

BTW Bobby Carpenter has been a bust. I'd rather have a draft choice.

Considering the following history...

Randy Moss (30) = 4th round pick

Darrel Jackson (28) = 4th round pick

Deion Branch (26) = 1st round pick

Roy Williams (26) = ????

It could be Dallas #28 pick and Bobby Carpenter for Roy Williams and a 5th round pick.

i would give up a top 10 pick for RW or Randy moss. In fact I would take the bet that no wr in this years draft will outplay either of them.

You forget the supply and demand dynamic. Cowboys & Eagles both need a WR & are competing for the same playoff spot. RW is better than any receiver in the draft so he's worth more than a #1 choice. If Dallas wants to keep #22 and give us #28 they'll have to include 2 players to beat Philly's probable offer of #19 and a player (Lito Shepard?).

BTW Bobby Carpenter has been a bust. I'd rather have a draft choice.

I doubt Philadelphia will offer Lito Shepard and the #19 pick in the draft for Roy Williams. Philadelphia didn't become a model franchise by making stupid trades.

I think Lito Shepard for Roy Williams straight up is very close to being the offer.

I would trade Roy for the Cowboys 2 first rounders in a heartbeat.

If all goes as planned, we could end up with Rashard Mendenhall, possibly Aqib Talib and possibly Jerod Mayo.

The Cowboys wouldn't trade two first round picks for Roy Williams, get serious.

The Lions do have to get a Karma trade after lucking out with the Rogers to Cincy, wait Rogers to Cleveland affair.

The Cowboys wouldn't trade two first round picks for Roy Williams, get serious.

Cowboys would have the best WR tandem in the league. RW would flourish in Dallas.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/04/14/0414golden.html

Monday, April 14, 2008

Roy Williams wants to get paid.

And why shouldn't he? He's a two-time Pro Bowl wide receiver who has led the league in receiving yards. His first three seasons were the most prolific in his team's history, and he has Hall of Fame potential.

Four seasons into his career, Williams isn't feeling any love from the Detroit Lions. And the reason is obviou$.

"They drafted (wide receiver) Calvin Johnson and gave him 30 million (dollars) guaranteed," Williams said. "What are they going to do with me?"

Legitimate question. The former University of Texas wideout is entering the final year of his contract, and when we spoke at Michael Huff's celebrity basketball game last week, he still had not been offered a contract extension by Lions president Matt Millen.

While Williams ponders his future, it just so happens the Dallas Cowboys are aging at wide receiver and could use an infusion of young talent. Terrell Owens is great, but he's 34. Terry Glenn has knee problems and will be 34 by the season opener. Williams is just entering his prime at 26.

And did we mention he wants to get paid?

So what about it, Roy? You grew up in Odessa loving the Cowboys. Could you picture a dream team with Tony Romo at quarterback, Marion Barber at running back, you and T.O. at wideout, and Jason Witten at tight end? Could this be the answer to all of your problems?

"Man, you know I can't answer that question," he said.

OK, understood. Williams is a team guy who maintains he wants to retire a Detroit Lion, though the Fort Worth Star-Telegram did quote an anonymous source as saying Williams would prefer to play for Dallas if he's not in Detroit.

Lions coach Rod Marinelli has insisted he's not interested in a trade and went as far as to call Williams last month and assure him the rumors of a deal were just rumors.

"He's not going anywhere,'' Marinelli told reporters at the NFL owners' meetings in Palm Beach, Fla. "There's no way. Like I've said, I want to see those two big trees playing together."

Yeah the tree thing works except that you gave one of those trees $27.2 million in guaranteed money while the other tree was left nervously swaying in the breeze, not knowing if his long limbs will be part of your long-term landscape.

But nothing should surprise us, since this is the Lions, a football wasteland that's gone eight straight years without a playoff appearance. Shoot, Isiah Thomas must be wondering how Millen continues to hold on to a job.

Williams is understandably frustrated. He caught 64 passes for 838 yards and five touchdowns last season but missed the last four games with a knee injury. Now healthy, he would love to put in a full season and put the financial stuff to rest so he can concentrate on football.

"Of course I want to stay in Detroit," he said. "Everybody wants to stay with the team that drafted them. They are telling me I am going to be a Lion for at least one more season. That's what I have on my mind."

The only explanation that carries any logic is that Detroit will place the exclusive franchise tag on Williams after this season, which would net him the average salary of the five highest paid receivers in the league for one year. Williams' $3.85 million base salary in 2007 ranked sixth among the league's wideouts — behind Owens, Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison, St. Louis' Torry Holt, and Cincinnati's Chad Johnson.

The franchise tag would earn get him about $9 million in 2009 but the downside is that franchise deals are not guaranteed, meaning if Williams suffered a career-threatening injury, Detroit could release him without owing him another penny.

Williams would love the six-year, $55 million contract former Javon Walker just signed with Oakland that will earn him a base salary of $1 million this season with an $11 million signing bonus attached. That will net him $12 million guaranteed this season.

Williams won't say it publicly, but a trade to Dallas makes sense for all parties involved.

Jones will open up the vault because he likes star power. If he is thinking about making it rain for the troubled Pacman Jones, he would definitely shell out a few more million to land an elite pass catcher.

Detroit could use the cap relief because Millen is paying $15.2 million of his $116.7 million salary cap to players who aren't even playing for him anymore. Dallas owns two first-round draft picks, and a trade for one of those may benefit the defense-starved Lions, even if Millen is making the picks.

And let's not forget that one other party that stands to benefit. Roy Williams.

Because he would end up getting paid.

I wouldn't do it for any less than their two first rounders, plus. The Lions trade him, they'll need another WR, which is defeating the purpose of trading Roy. Which makes no sense.

Their two 1st rounders would be a must and then some. If the Lions used one of those 1st rounders on Mayo and they could get a solid WR with the other plus throw in a player and/or a late round pick and the deal might look a little sweeter. It's not going to happen.

I understand there's just one year on Roy's contract and it might be nice to go back to his home state but there's still a year left on his current contract and the Lions can always stick him with the franchise tag next season.