CanTig

Minor League Transactions

Nick Trzniak released (not a surprise given the development of St Pierre and Ryan)

Maybe I should start a new thread called 'infielder injuries', but it has now been 9 days since Dlugach appeared in a game and 6 since Alden Carrithers appeared. Anybody know anything?

By the way, another draft pick signed: Eric Broberg

"Gulf Coast League shortstop Brent Dlugach, rehabilitating from shoulder surgery, has not played in more than a week because of a sore lower back."

This from this morning's Free Press

Why would this have been done?

check this out:

In the Knoxville news:

Roster Moves: The Chicago Cubs traded left-handed reliever Darin Downs to the Tampa Bay Rays for a player to be named.

The 23-year-old Downs, who was a fifth round draft pick in 2003, was 0-2 with a 6.56 earned-run average in 22 appearances with the Smokies.

Downs was assigned by the Rays to Class A Vero Beach, Fla.

----------my question..............

Lefty relief pitcher with AA Cubs organization of marginal (to date) results, traded for a player to be named later?

Why?

Seems like a very odd trade to me...........

What thoughts do you guys have?

Its likely that one of the Rays scouts saw something to like about him and they worked out a deal, providing the Cubs a list of players to choose from in exchange. These happen relatively frequently, and with little fanfare.

could be a draft pick from this year that they have to sit on like happened with bonderman

could be they really hated the guy personally and just wanted to get rid of him

could be they are building good will for a later trade and the GMs are friends

could be a draft pick from this year that they have to sit on like happened with bonderman

Can't happen yet. PTBNL have to be announced within six months of the effective date of the trade, and a drafted player must spend at least one year in the drafting organization. Therefore, even if the player signed the day after he was picked, he wouldn't even have two months in the organization yet, and wouldn't even be eligible for inclusion as a PTBNL for another four-plus months.

I had thoughts of (1)......did the Cubs just not want him at all? and (2)......did the Rays see something in him and wanted him relatively badly?

I know this kid pretty well and would see no reason why a team would not want him, but, then again, on a daily basis -- things do happen !!

I have no clue in this matter and i know it took he and his family by surprise, even though they are not disappointed.

I just didn't understand this -----------------

I figured I'd put this here.

http://airhogsbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=323&Itemid=55

DRUCKER SIGNED BY DETROIT TIGERS

(Statistical Information Courtesy of American Association)

Grand Prairie, TX (07.25.08)- The Grand Prairie AirHogs have announced that the contract for starting pitcher Scot Drucker has been purchased by the Detroit Tigers. He will report to the Double-A Erie SeaWolves in the Eastern League.

"This is great news for both Scot and the entire Grand Prairie AirHogs Organization," said Manager Pete Incaviglia. "This is all part of our plan in having players coming here to improve and get scouted to join up with an affiliated team."

In 15 starts with Grand Prairie, Drucker went 8-3 with a 2.41 ERA. He had 20 walks and 57 strikeouts in 93 1/3 innings pitched while having an opponents' batting average of .224. The Miami, FL native was second in the league in earned run average.

The 26-year-old was selected by the Oakland Athletics in the 13th round of the 2004 draft. Drucker pitched three seasons with the A's organization accumulating a record of 20-11 with a 4.70 ERA and 176 punchouts.

Drucker is the first AirHogs player ever to be signed by an affiliated team.

Here is another signing.

http://www.canariesbaseball.com/news/?id=10323

KITE FLIES TO TIGERS

July 25, 2008 - Sioux Falls, SD – Sioux Falls Canaries Left-Handed Relief Pitcher Josh Kite (pictured) was signed on Friday by the Detroit Tigers organization. Kite is the second Canaries pitcher and the eighth player in the American Association to be picked up this season. The list includes Grand Prairie AirHogs pitcher Scot Drucker, who was also signed by the Detroit Tigers on Friday.

“Josh battled back from injuries to prove that he still has what it takes to be a successful pitcher,” noted Canaries Interim Manager and Pitching Coach Mike Meyer. “He has worked very hard to earn this opportunity, and everyone in the organization is thrilled that he is getting this chance.”

Kite missed the 2007 season after undergoing shoulder surgery, but has come back to have a strong season for the Canaries. In 21 appearances for the Canaries this season, Kite is 1-1 with one save and a 2.31 ERA. In 23.1 innings, Kite has struck out 26 batters while walking only eight. Kite struggled out of the gate this year giving up five earned runs in his first two outings. However in 19 appearances since then he has allowed just one run on 12 hits. Kite had shutout opponents in his last 12 innings of work prior to being picked up by the Tigers.

Kite is the second Canaries player to be picked up this season. On May 19, the Canaries sold Right-Handed Pitcher Javier Garcia to the Boston Red Sox organization. Garcia is 2-1 with two saves for the Greenville Drive in the Single-A South Atlantic League. After Garcia was picked up, it was Kite that moved into his role as the Canaries set-up man.

Rudy Darrow RP West Michigan to Erie

Chris White OF Oneonta to West Michigan

Keith Stein OF West Michigan to Oneonta

Brandon Douglas SS West Michigan to Oneonta

Can't wait to see Orlando again. I'll have to bust out his jersey for one of these upcoming games. :classic:

Geez, what does Douglas have to do to stick, hit .800?

I read in the GR Press this morning that Ciriaco was brought off the DL, that probably explains Douglas' demotion.

Worth and Fien to Toledo.
Been waiting for family to post that about Casey. I got the word earlier this afternoon. Outstanding for both.

GREAT, bring them on..........

We need them with the Mud Hens.

worth did an outstanding job last year down the stretch at Erie

Casey is movin' on up the org!

I enjoy reading the feel-good stories of guys getting second chances out of the independent leagues. We saw some of those types of guys play for the River City Rascals when we lived in the 'burbs in STL.