Motor City Sonics

And it starts already.

What's with Drew Sharp calling Verlander out for the loss yesterday?

I thought he did good. He was tired in the end. It happens at this portion of the season.

I think he's just trying to ruffle some feathers. I disagree with calling out Verlander too, but that his thing...or is it Rob Parker's? I can't really keep them straight, not that I try to hard to.

I laughed at the part where Sharp wrote about Verlander looking "intimidated" toward the end. What?!? I didn't see that on my Dad's TV screen. I do remember seeing Verlander looking very intimidated (almost freaked out) in the finale of the '06 WS, and he certainly didn't look like that yesterday.

Sometimes columnists will write something that you can tell they thought was funny, when it obviously isn't. Sometimes something a columnist writes is pure comedy gold, even if that wasn't his intention (which was probably something that he thought was very intelligent or thought-provoking).

Not to go all anti-columnist here all of the sudden or anything.

He probably read the box score and saw Verlander gave up 4 runs in 6 innings. It's a problem with offical scoring. I can easily "blame" Verlander for the guy he left on third with no out, but the guy on first scoring I put on the bullpen.

On the radio this morning, I heard a local broadcaster mention that he didn't see the game, but did have a chance to look at the box score, which told him that Verlander didn't look too good.

I don't know how Leyland can be criticized for bunting. We are still debating a day later and using all kinds of stats to determine the chances of him scoring. He needed to make a gut reaction, and I can't say it was a wrong reaction. We were counting on Renteria to at least elevate the ball.

There are some people here that Leyland needs to have on speed dial on the dugout phone!

i'm not one of them

I do remember seeing Verlander looking very intimidated (almost freaked out) in the finale of the '06 WS, and he certainly didn't look like that yesterday.

I think the cameras cut away right before Verlander hurled in the WS game you speak of.

On the radio this morning, I heard a local broadcaster mention that he didn't see the game, but did have a chance to look at the box score, which told him that Verlander didn't look too good.

I can't believe someone who gets paid to cover sports is in the 10% of people in the area NOT watching the game yesterday.

This is for the football peeps:

Think of the baseball season as ten 16-game seasons, with a couple leftover games just for fun.

I don't know if that will actually help anything or not.

Let us now remember that "fan" is short for "fanatic" and then quietly observe that there are some fans that need to be locked up in an attic.

Hey, don't insult us real morons!

But we're organized: The Amalgamated Association of Morons. Local six and seven eighths.

We are morons! Tried and true! We will do our yell for you!

Nggghggashhddgghhh!

three_stooges.jpg

George Will said it pretty well:

{snip}

"ONLY failing at the plate 7 out of 10 times will likely get you into the All-Star Game"

Oh, good grief, aren't we past this idea yet already?

These people all failed at the plate 7 out of 10 times, give or take five points, at some point in the last five seasons. How many of them made All-Star teams based on their ability to fail at the plate 7 out of 10 times?

SEASON
2003-2007
OBP BETWEEN .295 AND .305

YEAR OBP
Omar Vizquel 2007 .305
Corey Patterson 2007 .304
Justin Morneau 2005 .304
Vernon Wells 2007 .304
Adrian Beltre 2005 .303
Jack Wilson 2003 .303
Brad Ausmus 2003 .303
Alex Cintron 2004 .301
Richard Hidalgo 2004 .301
Craig Monroe 2006 .301
Jason Kendall 2007 .301
Juan Uribe 2005 .301
Royce Clayton 2003 .301
Jose Reyes 2005 .300
Aaron Boone 2005 .299
Jose Castillo 2006 .299
J. Encarnacion 2004 .299
Jack Wilson 2005 .299
Jeromy Burnitz 2003 .299
Joe Crede 2004 .299
Bengie Molina 2007 .298
Neifi Perez 2005 .298
Mike Lowell 2005 .298
Ray Durham 2007 .295
Chris Young 2007 .295
Alex Gonzalez 2003 .295

well I don't think the point is to be taken literally. The general point is that baseball is a game of failure. And I'm sure he's speaking of batting average and not OBP.

Taking things literally takes the fun out of it.

Not wanting to bump the "goofy" threads, I'll register one of my gripes/whines/questions here:

Are we really going to start coloring our sarcastic posts? I mean c'mon, like I'd have to color half of mine!

Not wanting to bump the "goofy" threads, I'll register one of my gripes/whines/questions here:

Are we really going to start coloring our sarcastic posts? I mean c'mon, like I'd have to color half of mine!

Sarcasm loses its effect if you have to tell someone it is sarcasm.

well I don't think the point is to be taken literally. The general point is that baseball is a game of failure. And I'm sure he's speaking of batting average and not OBP.

Taking things literally takes the fun out of it.

Thanks for seeing my point Oblong...sorry if that was one of those long exhaustive posts that I missed in the past...