Motor City Sonics

And it starts already.

one interesting thing i've heard this week is on that overplayed george will intro before every game on espn...

to paraphrase...

he states that every team will win 60...

and every team will lose 60...

it's what the team does with the other 42 that matter...

and that's the kind of perspective that gets lost in our current talk radio/internet posting world nowadays...

and I would bet the 42 games come at the expense of the team like the KC Royals. As an example: Cleveland won a realatively close game against the WhiteSox. If Cleveland wants to go to the post season, they need to beat teams like Chicago, if they do, then they can play .500 against the Tigers, RedSox and yankers.

When the Tigers lose to KC, the need to win against the AL powerhouses (in regular season) in creases

Also, someone needs to tell George Will about the 2003 Tigers they only won 43 games

and I would bet the 42 games come at the expense of the team like the KC Royals. As an example: Cleveland won a realatively close game against the WhiteSox. If Cleveland wants to go to the post season, they need to beat teams like Chicago, if they do, then they can play .500 against the Tigers, RedSox and yankers.

When the Tigers lose to KC, the need to win against the AL powerhouses (in regular season) in creases

Also, someone needs to tell George Will about the 2003 Tigers they only won 43 games

its ONE GAME, you cant sweep every bad team every time

No, but if you are going to look ahead --- it would be nice to win all the games we have against Cleveland, Boston, New York

but it would be easier to play .500 against them and .800 against KC and Chicago and the Twins

No, but if you are going to look ahead --- it would be nice to win all the games we have against Cleveland, Boston, New York

but it would be easier to play .500 against them and .800 against KC and Chicago and the Twins

Thank god we play more then 3 games against KC, so we have a chance of going 800 against them.

don't forget the twins and whitesox

On the other hand if you win all of your games against Cleveland, Boston, New York, Los Angeles

you still have to do something against the Cardinals

Is it really surprising there are a bunch of people that care way too much about the Tigers on a message board that features dedicated year-round coverage of every last thing involving the Detroit Tigers?

It was fairly obvious to me that KC earned this one. They scrapped one out, and it still took a lot breaks to get it done. Look no further than the play to end the game which added to a lot of scrappy hitting. If we learned anything today, we can expect every team to bring their best when they play us.

In some ways, this place was more fun when the Tigers weren't as good.

I know exactly what you mean. At least then, we had legitimate reasons to bellyache!

Funniest thing I heard today was on the Ticket when Valenti said "don't be surprised if we see Rick Porcello in the BP"...

I nearly fainted.

I don't get this thread. Is there really that much negativity on the board? I think most of it is just people expecting there to be negativity, so they joke around about it. But there are very few posts that I read that are serious negative posts.

Honestly, I think that a lot of the joke negative threads are really people saying what they want to say, without being labeled as a negative poster.

I don't get this thread. Is there really that much negativity on the board?

Detroit sports fans in general are very pessimistic but there is a difference between pessimism and complete negativity to the point it's hard to enjoy organized sports. Yeah, I think there is a lot of negativity on this board more than you would see at most dedicated city boards but I guess that is the nature of the beast. Being realistic and being negative are often synonymous to some posters but that simply is faulty logic as sort of a diversion to criticism. Oh well, you learn to live with some things that don't make sense in life I suppose like acne or karaoke.

Let them panic. The ignore function is there for a reason. We shouldn't have to play teacher after every loss and explain why Renteria doesn't suck.
Truer words were never spoken.

Irony.

Irony.
What's ironic is that some don't understand my use of sarcasm and humor, but (EDIT: Took out the rest because it was mostly over-reaction.)

Dear New Tiger Fan Who Just Discovered the Team in 2006:

First of all, a belated welcome aboard. Between my busy work schedule and your scraping the Red Wings logos off your SUVs after you realized the Wings weren't going to win the Cup every year, we haven't had time to chat.

I'm happy to hear that you've replaced all your Red Wing merchandise with Tiger merchandise, and so is Mr. Ilitch.

But, judging from the radio call-ins yesterday after the game, and from some of the posts on this and other boards, it's apparant there are a lot of you newly-minted Tiger fans out there who don't understand much about the great game of base ball.

So I just wanted to let you know that these here baseball seasons last a long, long time, and you can't judge anything by one game.

I hope that helps, and if you get confused further, there are a lot of intelligent baseball fans on this board who will be happy to patiently explain the nuances of the game to you.

Now, New Tiger Fan, I know you think you already have this baseball-rooting thing down pat, but you really don't. It involves more than wearing a Tiger hat; sipping a foo-foo drink out of an elongated, overpriced plastic glass; yelling "go, Tigers!"; and whining after every little loss.

In baseball, it's best to take the long view. If the team is 20 games below .500 by the 4th of July, then it's time to worry.

On April Fools Day, it's probably too early to tell anything one way or another.

What Tyrus said. Those of us who stuck around during the 119 loss years don't read a whole hell of a lot into one 5-4, eleven inning defeat.

in positive news, Cabera's on pace to hit 162 home runs

And commit 162 "errors"!

Tyrus, well done. I think we should all try to contribute to that to make it perfect.

Dear New Tiger Fan Who Just Discovered the Team in 2006:

First of all, a belated welcome aboard. Between my busy work schedule and your scraping the Red Wings logos off your SUVs after you realized the Wings weren't going to win the Cup every year, we haven't had time to chat.

I'm happy to hear that you've replaced all your Red Wing merchandise with Tiger merchandise, and so is Mr. Ilitch.

But, judging from the radio call-ins yesterday after the game, and from some of the posts on this and other boards, it's apparant there are a lot of you newly-minted Tiger fans out there who don't understand much about the great game of base ball.

So I just wanted to let you know that these here baseball seasons last a long, long time, and you can't judge anything by one game.

I hope that helps, and if you get confused further, there are a lot of intelligent baseball fans on this board who will be happy to patiently explain the nuances of the game to you.

Now, New Tiger Fan, I know you think you already have this baseball-rooting thing down pat, but you really don't. It involves more than wearing a Tiger hat; sipping a foo-foo drink out of an elongated, overpriced plastic glass; yelling "go, Tigers!"; and whining after every little loss.

In baseball, it's best to take the long view. If the team is 20 games below .500 by the 4th of July, then it's time to worry.

On April Fools Day, it's probably too early to tell anything one way or another.

Now this is a comment that actually deserved its own thread. This isn't football, peeps. I can assure you, the Tigers will play more than 16 games. One loss isn't going to amount to much.