hueytaxi

Clete Thomas - Nice Debut

Clete left me wanting more. The out he threw Home from LF and the double late in the game were great! Nice afternoon performance! (Feed him well tonight Mike).

Inge actually threw the runner out, but, we'll take the 2-strike hit ANY time, especially an opposite field double to lead off an inning!

Thanks Roger, I thought for a second he was going into the record books (with many others) for hitting a HR in his first major league AB !

WOW, it was exciting around the office today!

I saw the Inge out, but thought I saw Clete do the same inning before. Blue Moon clouds memory.

I saw the Inge out, but thought I saw Clete do the same inning before. Blue Moon clouds memory.

Clete made a difficult catch the inning before.

Very nicely played today. I would have liked to see Inge swing away, but that doesn't take away from a great debut for Clete.

Very nicely played today. I would have liked to see Inge swing away, but that doesn't take away from a great debut for Clete.
Indeed!

I agree, it's not like Clete is slow or anything and couldn't score on a single!

But, we all question moves like that when they don't work out, it seems incumbent upon Renteria to do something other than swing at a 3rd strike a foot outside the zone................

Polanco's ball almost got through, Gordon made a nice diving stab on it!

A game of inches!

Fantastic piece of hitting. If he keeps that up, he might be up here longer than expected.

K.C. made the same decison. The difference is their guys produced, ours didn't.

I have no problem with the decision.

I was surprised how far that ball carried. Watching on TV, it looked like it was just gonna be a blop single, but that thing almost went out in one of the deepest parts of the park.

He also looked comfortable at the plate against a tough pitcher.....definitely cant wait to see him get some more playing time.

When Clete came up to lead off the 11th, I said to my Dad, "He (meaning Leyland) should be sending Thames up to hit". Props to the kid for proving me wrong!

Nice to see him get a little post-game show face time. He was interviewed briefly by John Keating, for those who missed it.

Side note in Clete's thread so it is not lost in the game thread; watched the game with Yoda and for the first time in HD on a decent system (my cable hookup is ancient). The camera action today was wonderful. To be able to see the pitched thread rotation was amazing and to view the shock of bat flex on a fly ball was totally unexpected.

I was surprised how far that ball carried. Watching on TV, it looked like it was just gonna be a blop single, but that thing almost went out in one of the deepest parts of the park.

He also looked comfortable at the plate against a tough pitcher.....definitely cant wait to see him get some more playing time.

Me too. And it was a ridiculous pitch that Granderson wouldn't have touched. I have no idea how an inside curveball is hit that far to the opposite field.

Very nice debut. Looking forward to more nice things from him in the future. Unfortunately he will probably get sent down when Grandy returns because of the investment we have in Jones.

It seems to me that since Jones is a veteran Leyland will give him a very long leash to show that he deserves to platoon with Marcus.

I saw Clete three years ago at the White Cap game at the Copa, and he hit a nice triple to the scoreboard in right center.

Let's just enjoy the success that Clete has and not crown him.

This is a fantastic opportunity for Clete to succeed in some limited situations. He will then go down to AAA or AA and continue refining.

He is not better than Jacque Jones right now.....even though Jones sucks. If anyone ought to be starting over Jacque Jones....it should be Ryan Raburn.

Clete left me wanting more. The out he threw Home from LF and the double late in the game were great! Nice afternoon performance! (Feed him well tonight Mike).

He ate very well post game tonight Roger, very well! Sushi, oysters, ribs and, believe it or not, I think I'm missing something! :happy:

It was a great game, we just came up a little short, but man oh man, what an experience!

By the way, did you here in the 11th??? :wink:

And it was a ridiculous pitch that Granderson wouldn't have touched. I have no idea how an inside curveball is hit that far to the opposite field.

That's what surprised me. He came almost to a stop in his stride to the ball, so he hit it with all arms and wrist, no body. I thought it was a popup. And Clete's not supposed to be a power hitter.

He ate very well post game tonight Roger, very well! Sushi, oysters, ribs and, believe it or not, I think I'm missing something! :happy:

It was a great game, we just came up a little short, but man oh man, what an experience!

By the way, did you here in the 11th??? :wink:

YOU?

Me too. And it was a ridiculous pitch that Granderson wouldn't have touched. I have no idea how an inside curveball is hit that far to the opposite field.
Clete must have some VERY strong wrists indeed, because you really have to pull your elbows in to hit a pitch like that the other way.