RSS Feeder

Thomas final addition to Detroit roster

Posted by Jim Molony on Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:48:00 EDT.

Detroit takes another step towards April as manager Jim Leyland unofficially named rookie Clete Thomas to the Tigers roster on Friday. With Curtis Granderson starting the season on the DL, the outfielder's presence is more than warranted.

More...

Congratulations to Clete! And to the rest of his very proud family. When a player makes the roster, we never seem to hear from the family again on MTS. I hope that is not a MLB rule and you folks hang around.

Congratulations to Clete! And to the rest of his very proud family. When a player makes the roster, we never seem to hear from the family again on MTS. I hope that is not a MLB rule and you folks hang around.

Rog, while we're all extremely excited and proud that he has realized his dream with this opportunity that has been presented to him, we also know that this is a very fluid situation and there is no certainty of him staying there. There are a couple of us (I bet you can't guess the other poster :wink: ) who can't stay away from these boards, even if we wanted to; just ask our wives!!!!:happy: We have many, many more players discussed in this section of the boards that we're still interested in and rooting for.

Also, thanks to everyone else for their kind words regarding this latest news. Clete has enjoyed his stops and the support he's received in Oneonta, Grand Rapids, Lakeland and Erie. We're trusting his time in Detroit will be just as enjoyable and that he can have the opportunity to contribute to the teams success!!!

Opening Day....Here I come!!!!

Roger----

We're here and NOT going anywhere. This is NOT an end of a dream, it's just the beginning.

We're hoping that even though this is a huge milestone for Clete, we think

he still has much, much more to show. The talent is there and we can only

hope and pray that he can continue to work with the right people to expose to everyone else what we've seen for years. The instructors he's been working with have apparently unlocked some power and confidence that we've witnessed in his early years. Let's all enjoy the ride and thank God for the timing of the opportunity and the production while under the microscope of DD and Leyland.

What a ride, hopefully, it's just the beginning.

We'll be here Roger, THANK YOU for everything -- from ALL the players and their families. If you weren't there to support these young men and be a connector to their families as you are, life wouldn't be nearly as relaxed!

"Unofficially"?

I thought the same thing. If Leyland said it, who does it have to come from to make it official?

Congatulations to Clete first and to Susie for being there with him and then the rest of the family who had not only supported him in this dream but have been there all the way for him. I can't tell you how many family members of his and Susie's we have met. He has certainly proved he has deserved this. His smile is very big these days.

Congastulations
Mom, that is the greatest typo ever! I just pictured the French guy shouting, "I faaart in your general direction!".

:wink:
Mom, that is the greatest typo ever! I just pictured the French guy shouting, "I faaart in your general direction!".
Did she just coin a new Moronic Greeting?

Sorry guys I really do need new glasses. I can spell just can't see to type.

he still deserves the congrats

The talent is there and we can only

hope and pray that he can continue to work with the right people to expose to everyone else what we've seen for years. The instructors he's been working with have apparently unlocked some power and confidence that we've witnessed in his early years.

Baseball3, Congrats!! A coach here or there can make a huge difference in a player's development (or lack of). It's refreshing to see a person so close to the situation realize and understand that people can make a difference with people. It's not a widely held view around here that coaching can make any difference whatsoever.

I love these stories: A kid busts his butt and impresses his coach, and when an opportunity presents itself, the kid gets a shot. It's one of the best things about being a baseball fan.

It's not a widely held view around here that coaching can make any difference whatsoever.

Most of us realize that coaching is very important to player development. Coaching has a lot more effect on a high school , college or minor leaguer player than it does on Gary Sheffield or Kenny Rogers.

These kind of stories are awesome. He might only stay a short time or he might be there 10 years but I just can't imagine how proud the family is going to be heading to Comerica Park for Opening Day. Just awesome that we can share in it even in a small, small way.

I can tell you this for sure:

...........We/he owes a lot of gratitude to Jim Leyland, Dave Dombrowski and the coaching staff for giving him an opportunity to produce. Their confidence in him and his development with his hitting under supervision of Larry Parish and Bull Durham have made this (short term?) opportunity possible.

Thank you for the kind words and let's see what tomorrow holds, hopefully more opportunity and more positive results.

--Personally, I agree with the statement above, "A kid busts his butt and impresses his coach, and when an opportunity presents itself, the kid gets a shot. It's one of the best things about being a baseball fan"-------it is refreshing to see in a major league organization and THIS story is truly one of hard work, diligent work ethic, a coach seeing something special, an opportunity given, confidence and results, hitting coaches bringing out something hidden within the tool set as well as the good fortune of timing, production and consistency while looking like he belongs there as opposed to having the "deer in the headlights" appearance.

As with all these hard working young men striving for a chance like this, one doesn't really know how things will play out, but, for this moment in time and the moments that have lead to this day, WOW -- THE shock of Spring Training 2008!

I had asked on these boards before ST began, WHO would be the "diamond in the rough" to be discovered or to shine that wasn't expected to -------early on, before his injury, it was Wilkin Rameriz with his great hitting prowess, then, Casey Fien was outstanding as were others, but, in the end result of spring, the real surprise is Clete's story.................

Clete is doomed!!!

Thomas will wear 36

Posted by Danny Knobler March 29, 2008 16:10PM

HOUSTON -- Clete Thomas will wear uniform number 36 when he is introduced at Comerica Park on opening day.

Thomas was given number 76 as a non-roster invitee this spring. He'll have 36 during the season, taking a number that hasn't been worn by a prominent Tiger since Jeff Weaver was traded midway through the 2002 season.

Others who have worn 36 since then, according to Baseball-Almanac.com: Eric Eckenstahler, John McDonald, Jack Hannahan, Colby Lewis and Eulogio De La Cruz.