Jump to content
Shinma

11 years ago today.

Recommended Posts

FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly ( December 2020 or January 2021). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

1 hour ago, Shinma said:

Merry Turtle day!

 

You guys stay safe out there.

I was going to bump this earlier this morning, but I had a feeling you would do so before the day is out. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I was going to bump this earlier this morning, but I had a feeling you would do so before the day is out. 

Always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shinma said:

Always.

Coincidentally, due to this pandemic, I had the opportunity to get a home workout space set up in the basement, and in doing so stumbled upon a dvd box set of classic red wings games. Might have to fire this one up later tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in my "pyramid of hate" the avalanche still occupy the top level.  right up there with ohio state, michigan state, duke, the leafs, the hawks, the bears, and the bulls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wild that a person now has to pretty much be 30 years or older to have any memory of that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NHL.com posted to Twitter yesterday a clip from 1957 of Yogi Berra and Phil Rizzuto commenting on a Bruins-Habs game during an intermission.  EDIT: Meant to post this to the Wings current season thread instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lordstanley said:

NHL.com posted to Twitter yesterday a clip from 1957 of Yogi Berra and Phil Rizzuto commenting on a Bruins-Habs game during an intermission.

 

Right at the end he says it's a championship game. So Stanley Cup final series after Boston eliminated Det? Probably why Sid Abel was hanging around. Could have been April 15, game 5, the only game Boston won: final 2-0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Right at the end he says it's a championship game. So Stanley Cup final series after Boston eliminated Det? Probably why Sid Abel was hanging around. Could have been April 15, game 5, the only game Boston won: final 2-0

You may be right - although Game 5 was April 14 not April 15. I had thought it was a Habs home game due to the dark uniforms which before 1970 were usually worn by the home team, but looking again no Canadiens logo at centre. Still not sure though why Yogi and Rizzuto would be in Boston on the 14th. The Yankees seemed to have a single-game season opener on April 16 at home to Washington, before starting a 3-game series in Boston on the 18th.  Maybe in town to do some advance promotional work for the season? But I don't think so.

A better guess, even though I said 1957 originally, may be Game 4 of the 1958 Stanley Cup Finals, also between Boston and Montreal. The Bruins won Game 4 on April 15, 3-1. The Yankees were in town for a 3-game series versus the Red Sox between April 15-April 17.  Yankees opened the season with a 3-0 win the afternoon of the 15th, would make sense to then take in Game 4 at night. I had said 1957 because Yogi said it was 12th year. My mistake was counting 1946 as his 1st year - he only played 7 games that season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

You may be right - although Game 5 was April 14 not April 15. I had thought it was a Habs home game due to the dark uniforms which before 1970 were usually worn by the home team, but looking again no Canadiens logo at centre. Still not sure though why Yogi and Rizzuto would be in Boston on the 14th. The Yankees seemed to have a single-game season opener on April 16 at home to Washington, before starting a 3-game series in Boston on the 18th.  Maybe in town to do some advance promotional work for the season? But I don't think so.

A better guess, even though I said 1957 originally, may be Game 4 of the 1958 Stanley Cup Finals, also between Boston and Montreal. The Bruins won Game 4 on April 15, 3-1. The Yankees were in town for a 3-game series versus the Red Sox between April 15-April 17.  Yankees opened the season with a 3-0 win the afternoon of the 15th, would make sense to then take in Game 4 at night. I had said 1957 because Yogi said it was 12th year. My mistake was counting 1946 as his 1st year - he only played 7 games that season.

 

 

well, I was going to go through the Canadiens roster to check for changes between 57 and 58 since they ran the roster over the interview at one point, but there is an easier way. He mentions Abel had become coach of the Wings - which pins it to the 57-58 season so you are right. Sid took over 3/4 of the way through. The uniform thing does seem wrong for Boston though. I'm pretty sure in the 60's at least the Habs wore Red at at home and the Bruins wore dark. I don't remember either arena not having a logo at center ice, that part is before my time. It could be a game in Montreal if was one of the early ones before the season stated. There were a few days between the end of ST and the 1st game and there would have been good train service to Montreal in those days. IIRC, junkets to Montreal were a pretty common thing for East Coasters back in the day. Uniforms aside though, the more I look at it the less I think it is the forum. I thougth when I first looked that the arena looked wide, but on second view not as wide and deep as I remember the forum to have been. Maybe they were wearing light at home in those years. As you noted, the NHL has switched at least a couple of times on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (December 2020 or January 2021). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...