Shinma

11 years ago today.

There was some awesome headline in the Detroit News the next morning. I'd like to say the headline was unforgettable, but well, I forgot it. :cheeky: "Bloody Yes!" or "Bloody Good!" or something like that.

There was some awesome headline in the Detroit News the next morning. I'd like to say the headline was unforgettable, but well, I forgot it. :cheeky: "Bloody Yes!" or "Bloody Good!" or something like that.

I just remember the National media going crazy with it for a bit.

Back when they actually reported on hockey on ESPN..

Awesome. Thanks for posting.

No prob! I couldn't find any decent pics of the game so I just vid capped them.

My favorite of this set is this one of Roy getting his block knocked off:

vlcsnap-1522515.jpg

Everyone talks about McCarty vs. Turtle or Roy vs. Vernon.

My favorite part of this whole thing is Shanny doing a flying cross body into Roy from off screen right.

Well that and the fact that Larionov, of all people, started the whole thing. LOL

Everyone talks about McCarty vs. Turtle or Roy vs. Vernon.

My favorite part of this whole thing is Shanny doing a flying cross body into Roy from off screen right.

Well that and the fact that Larionov, of all people, started the whole thing. LOL

Yes, the open ice body check by Shanahan on Roy was excellent. And the fact that you can almost see Larionov, of all people, saying "To hell with it," after being frustrated with Forsberg and igniting the whole thing.

The 1997 WC finals were really brutal later that year. One of my all-time favorite playoff series.

No prob! I couldn't find any decent pics of the game so I just vid capped them.

My favorite of this set is this one of Roy getting his block knocked off:

vlcsnap-1522515.jpg

A friend of mine blew up a photo of McCarty pounding Claude Lemieux into his turtle shell and gave it to me for Christmas about ten years ago. I love it.

This event represents the apex of my interest in the Red Wings and the NHL in general. I'd love if the Wings could have another passionate rivalry such as the one they had with the Avalanche during this time period.

Yeah I wish we could have a rivalry go on like this one now-a-days too. Seems like everyones pushing for a rivalry against the Blue Jackets since we play them so much every year, but they pretty much suck, so that rivalry is going nowhere fast IMO. I'd think Chicago could turn into a pretty good rivalry with us.....they gave us a hard time this year, and they have nothing but loads of young talent with Sharp, Toewes, Kane, Keith, etc.

Truth is, we'll never see another rivalry with the Wings like we had with Colorado......those were some of the most entertaining & fun Wings to watch.

lost in the bruhaha over all of that is that the win was a milestone for Mike Vernon and Roy knew about it and flipped the puck down the ice so he could keep it.

I was delivering pizzas at the time and was only a few blocks from my house. As soon as I heard Ken Kal's description I hurried home and watched the rest of it. People got cold pizza that night.

As the late Bob Hope used to say, "Thanks for the memories."

Anyone remember Scotty Bowman getting into it with the Avs coach (Can't recall his name at the moment)? Not sure that was part of this game either, but I remember it was nice seeing Scotty animated.:happy:

As the late Bob Hope used to say, "Thanks for the memories."

Anyone remember Scotty Bowman getting into it with the Avs coach (Can't recall his name at the moment)? Not sure that was part of this game either, but I remember it was nice seeing Scotty animated.:happy:

Avs coach was Marc Crawford. I'm sure there was some jawing going on between Crawford and Bowman that night, but also you're probably thinking of Game 4 of the conference finals that year. Wings were on their way to a 6-0 victory and 3-1 series lead, and Crawford and Bowman got into each other's faces from their respective benches. Afterwards in the post-game press conferences, I believe Crawford made a comment about the plate in Bowman's head, Bowman said something like he knew Crawford's dad and Crawford's dad wouldn't be proud of this, and then I think a couple of days later Crawford's mom chimed in to defend her son, lol. Good times.

Shinma! you dog...I have been waiting days to post this thread!!! I can't believe it.. I have the video on my MySpace and watch it a least a couple times a week..

1997 Vernon fights Roy, wings win cup

1998 Osgood fights Roy, wings win cup

2002 Hasek attempts to fight Roy, wings win cup

maybe since a goalie named Roy got in a fight this year we can win the cup

1997 Vernon fights Roy, wings win cup

1998 Osgood fights Roy, wings win cup

2002 Hasek attempts to fight Roy, wings win cup

maybe since a goalie named Roy got in a fight this year we can win the cup

LMAO!

WOW -

I forgot all about PASS.

Nice thread.

Hate the Avs !

regarding, Crawford's tirade against Bowman. I got a book on the rivalry that has a transcript. I guess that was the first time it was published. I'll dig itou ttomorow and type it up. Lots of words that rhyme with punt.

regarding, Crawford's tirade against Bowman. I got a book on the rivalry that has a transcript. I guess that was the first time it was published. I'll dig itou ttomorow and type it up. Lots of words that rhyme with punt.

What's the name of the book ?

Gonna see if my library has it.

Thanks in advance.

Blood Feud or something like that. Written by the beat writer for the Avs at the time. It's a great read. Read it in about 3 hours. Lots of behind the scenes stuff and most of the guys cooperated. It's amazing when you think about how there were connections between the key players and it all set up. Lemieux's big playoff run in 1995 led to friction with the Devils over contracts that forced the trade. The Wings smoking out Roy forcing his trade. Lemeiux and Shanahan being close friends, Claude named his son Brendan after him.

One neat thing at the end was McCarty talking about his problems with drinking and Lemiux found out. He skated up to him during a game and told him good luck and he went through it himself and if he ever wanted help or to talk that he'd be there for him.

Blood Feud or something like that. Written by the beat writer for the Avs at the time. Lemeiux and Shanahan being close friends, Claude named his son Brendan after him.

One neat thing at the end was McCarty talking about his problems with drinking and Lemiux found out. He skated up to him during a game and told him good luck and he went through it himself and if he ever wanted help or to talk that he'd be there for him.

Wow - never thought CL had any class whatsoever. :ponder:

That being said - it was a Av beat writer so I don't

know if I can buy that.

Thanks - gotta get that book.

Just googled it -http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Feud-Colorado-Avalanche-Nastiest/dp/1589793196

Written by Dater who just had some real silly comments not too

long ago re: the game Lidstrom got hit by Ian LaDrink Water.