NHL

Wings 1st Round Match Up Choice

Who would you rather see the Wings play in Round 1 of the 2008 Playoffs ?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather see the Wings play in Round 1 of the 2008 Playoffs ?

• Colorado
    • Vancouver
    • Calgary
    • Nashville
    • Edmonton
    • Minnesota
    • Dallas
    • Phoenix

Florida 4, Carolina 3, final - Carolina finishes regular season, will finish 3rd ... or 9th!

I'm personally hoping Washington gets in. I'd love to see what Ovechkin can do in the playoffs. Plus, he's just so damn fun to watch play!

I'm personally hoping Washington gets in. I'd love to see what Ovechkin can do in the playoffs. Plus, he's just so damn fun to watch play!

I agree. Washington ownership really stepped up in signing him, and their GM George McPhee pulled some moves (Sergei Fedorov, Cristobal Huet, Matt Cooke) at the trading deadline. Things can jumble around a bit more in the final weekend, but as of now some nice regional/rivalry 1st round matchups in the East:

Pittsburgh vs Philly

Habs vs Ottawa

NJ vs NY Rangers

I agree. Washington ownership really stepped up in signing him, and their GM George McPhee pulled some moves (Sergei Fedorov, Cristobal Huet, Matt Cooke) at the trading deadline. Things can jumble around a bit more in the final weekend, but as of now some nice regional/rivalry 1st round matchups in the East:

Pittsburgh vs Philly

Habs vs Ottawa

NJ vs NY Rangers

The Caps need one point in the last game to take away the 3rd seed. If they tie, the Hurricanes hold the tie breaker.

Chicago 3, Nashville 1, final. It's the Wings vs. Nashville!!

The Western matchups are pretty well set. Unless Colorado makes up a 22-goal differential vs. Dallas in their final game, the only possible change in the standings 1 through 8 is Colorado and Calgary for 6th and 7th.

Interesting scoreboard watching tonight:

Chicago 3, Nashville 1, end 2nd - a Nashville loss would ensure they're #8

Philly 3, NJ 0, final - Flyers clinched playoff spot

Florida 4, Carolina 3, final - Carolina finishes regular season, will finish 3rd ... or 9th!

Boston 2, Ottawa 1, final - both clinched

Nice to see Philly, Boston and Montreal all in. The NHL needs such franchises in the playoffs.

Definitely agree with you on your comment re; Philly, Boston, Montreal.

In the case of Nashville, I have to wonder if by losing to Chicago tonight, they preferred meeting Detroit in the First round as opposed to San Jose. If Nashville had won, depending on Calgary's last game, they may have overtaken Calgary for the #7 seed. Just wondering.

Between Calgary and Nashville, who does Detroit match up better with? I'm thinking Nashville. Calgary strikes me as faster and more in-the-face, factors that could disrupt Detroit's puck possession style.

Between Calgary and Nashville, who does Detroit match up better with? I'm thinking Nashville. Calgary strikes me as faster and more in-the-face, factors that could disrupt Detroit's puck possession style.

I think Calgary definitely matches up better, because they have the goaltending (Kipper) and Defense (Regehr, Phaneuf) to shut down the Wings top line. Remember, Regehr was not healthy during last years series.

I have a feeling if our top line doesn't score, we're going to have to win games 1-0. Not a pleasant thought when we're banking our hopes on a 43-year old goalie.

I'm personally breathing a sigh of relief that we didn't draw Calgary.

4 matchups now decided:

Nashville at Detroit

Dallas at Anaheim

Boston at Montreal

NJ Devils vs NY Rangers (home ice still to be decided)

- Calgary can pass Colorado for 6th in the West if the Flames win tonight and the Avs lose tomorrow

- Whether Ottawa or Philadelphia plays Pittsburgh or Washington depends on tomorrow's Philly-Pittsburgh game

A few games with playoff seeding impact going on right now:

- NJ Devils leading the NY Rangers 2-1 after 2. The two teams will play each other in the 1st round; Rangers need to come back and win in regulation to claim home ice for that series

- Minnesota leading Colorado 2-1 after 2. Colorado needs to win or to lose in OT/SO in order to move up to 6th place and play Minnesota in the 1st round. Otherwise the Avs will finish 7th and play San Jose. Calgary will play Minnesota or San Jose depending on this result.

- Philly leading Pittsburgh 1-0 after 2. If Flyers win, they'll move up to #6 and play #3 Washington, while Pittsburgh would remain #2 and play #7 Ottawa. If Pittsburgh wins, Pittsburgh would get #1 and play #8 Philadelphia, while #3 Washington would play #6 Ottawa. Montreal and Boston will play each other, as either a #1 vs #8 matchup or a #2 vs #7 matchup.

Wow, I hope the Flames end up getting the Sharks. They would beat each other to a pulp, and I'd love every second of it.

Wow, I hope the Flames end up getting the Sharks. They would beat each other to a pulp, and I'd love every second of it.

This is what I am hoping too...hopefully Dallas and Anaheim will do the same

Shinma and DD get their wish. The Avs take Minnesota into OT, ensuring it will be Minnesota vs. Colorado and San Jose vs. Calgary.

The Devils clinch home ice for their series against the Rangers by taking the game into OT.

Philadelphia beat Pittsburgh so it will be Flyers vs. Caps and Pens vs. Sens. Someone big will be knocked off in the Pens-Sens series, many in the pre-season would have predicted that to be the conference final.

For the first time since 1979, the Montreal Canadiens finish the regular season as #1 in their conference.

I am happy to see the Sharks and Flames have to play each other..it will cut down the travel to the west coast by one team!

Shinma and DD get their wish.

Hmm. Since that worked so well, I want the Sharks/Flames series to go 7 games now, please, thank you.

Hmm. Since that worked so well, I want the Sharks/Flames series to go 7 games now, please, thank you.

I second that motion :classic:

I think Calgary definitely matches up better, because they have the goaltending (Kipper) and Defense (Regehr, Phaneuf) to shut down the Wings top line. Remember, Regehr was not healthy during last years series.

I have a feeling if our top line doesn't score, we're going to have to win games 1-0. Not a pleasant thought when we're banking our hopes on a 43-year old goalie.

I'm personally breathing a sigh of relief that we didn't draw Calgary.

OK, that's what I meant by my question. I was looking at it from DETROIT's perspective -- which team, the Preds or the Flames, would the Wings have an easier time handling.

regarding possible 2nd and 3rd round opponents for Detroit, IMO San Jose and Anaheim are the two most dangerous teams right now and I'll be extremely relieved if either of them get knocked off in the first round. Of the the others I would think either Colorado or Calgary. I'm really not that worried about either Dallas or Minnesota. Anaheim could very well be Detroit's second round opponent if they eliminate Dallas

regarding possible 2nd and 3rd round opponents for Detroit, IMO San Jose and Anaheim are the two most dangerous teams right now and I'll be extremely relieved if either of them get knocked off in the first round. Of the the others I would think either Colorado or Calgary. I'm really not that worried about either Dallas or Minnesota. Anaheim could very well be Detroit's second round opponent if they eliminate Dallas

Correction: Given the 1st round seedings, assuming the Wings defeat the Preds, it would have to be either Minnesota or Colorado in 2nd round.

My prediction: Nashville, Calgary, Minnesota and Dallas will all be defeated in the 1st round.

2nd round West will Probably look something like this:

Detroit vs. Colorado (Detroit in 6)

San Jose vs. Anaheim (Anaheim in 7)

3rd round:

Detroit vs. Anaheim (My prediction: TBD):grin: