NHL

Wings 1st Round Match Up Choice

Who would you rather see the Wings play in Round 1 of the 2008 Playoffs ?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather see the Wings play in Round 1 of the 2008 Playoffs ?

• Colorado
    • Vancouver
    • Calgary
    • Nashville
    • Edmonton
    • Minnesota
    • Dallas
    • Phoenix

Any thoughts on the WINGS goal tending situation for the play-offs. Neither O or H is play-off ready in my opinion.

Gotta give it to Hasek to start.

The Canucks are really, really sucking right now. Luongo has been ordinary since Christmas.

The Sens haven't yet clinched a playoff spot in the East! But last night's losses by Philly and Boston (in SO) helped their cause.

The Canucks are really, really sucking right now. Luongo has been ordinary since Christmas.

The Sens haven't yet clinched a playoff spot in the East! But last night's losses by Philly and Boston (in SO) helped their cause.

Well, Hasek is probably the right choice. But judging from his performance of late, I'd hate to count on him for long if the WINGS get into a dog fight in the first couple of rounds. Key will be how the WINGS handle rounds 1 and 2.

Luongo has really surprised me. He looked shoddy at best in the loss to Colorado the other night.'

IMHO goal tending is always CRITICAL in the play-offs. So much depends on whether or not net minding can determine a game here or there.

I'm undecided right now as to I prefer in the first round --- Nashville or Vancover or even Dallas or Colorado. Based Vancover's seeming weakness of late (Luongo and Vancouver's no offense) I would almost say I'd rather face them over Nashville, even with the travel issue.

As they were saying on the radio...and I believe so as well.

You start Hasek - that's why he's here. He screws up you go

to Osgood.

If you start Osgood - Hasek would not like the call and then

probably play average at best. Osgoods your 3 year man backup.

He doesn't mind the roll. But, that could change if we lose out.

Hasek bails/let go next year. Then Howard starts # 2 next season.

Senioity is the way the Wings have been doing it all along.

I'm undecided right now as to I prefer in the first round --- Nashville or Vancover or even Dallas or Colorado. Based Vancover's seeming weakness of late (Luongo and Vancouver's no offense) I would almost say I'd rather face them over Nashville, even with the travel issue.

Plus the Canucks have been rocked by injuries. Brendan Morrison lost for the season with an ACL this week. Winger Taylor Pyatt got a concussion Tuesday and will miss tonight's game. Mattias Ohlund and fellow defensemen Aaron Miller and Lukas Krajicek hurt as well. Thinking rationally, the Canucks should be a breeze. But I'm just terrified of the Wings falling victim to a shock upset right here in my backyard, I'd end up hearing about it for months if not years.

this is a tough call...I'd like Vancouver simply because it would guarantee they'd be on TV, although I have 4 exams and 2 papers in the next 2 weeks so my TV viewing will be limited :bored:

but I'd still rather have Nashville I think...there's always the chance Luongo could get hot...no matter what, the Wings are not losing in the first round

Over the past 2 seasons the WIngs and Preds have gained a lot

of intensity in their games. Physical (Goon type stuff from N.P.)

Now, that Voukon and cheap shot Hartnell has departed the Wings should match up well and win in 5 or 6. The only thing I can't stand is hearing

the continuous Detroit Sucks, Goalie de jour - you suck over and over

and "THE PREDATORS ARE ON THE POWER PLAY - THEN THE SCRATCH SOUND"

but it's not as bad as hearing someone squeezing a horn 3 times in a row

for an entire game like in Calgary.

Plus the Canucks have been rocked by injuries. Brendan Morrison lost for the season with an ACL this week. Winger Taylor Pyatt got a concussion Tuesday and will miss tonight's game. Mattias Ohlund and fellow defensemen Aaron Miller and Lukas Krajicek hurt as well. Thinking rationally, the Canucks should be a breeze. But I'm just terrified of the Wings falling victim to a shock upset right here in my backyard, I'd end up hearing about it for months if not years.

Haha. I understand your concern. As well as the WINGS have been overall this year, it really means little in the Play-offs. Upsets abound. I think I'd hate to be you too if the Canucks upset the WINGS in the 1st round.:paranoid:

Yeah --- unbelievable how injuries have depleted the Canucks. I have to wonder if they are surprised themselves that they're even still in the race.:grin:

main reason i wouldnt mind vancouver is because i would be able to catch the games when i get out of work late. I dont care how loungo has played lately i still dont want to see him in a 7 game series.

I think I'd hate to be you too if the Canucks upset the WINGS in the 1st round.:paranoid:

I'd hate to be him or me - if we lose in the 1st round

I will be one unhappy camper and just may have

to yell on the David Stein show. lol :wink:

no matter what, the Wings are not losing in the first round

Detroitdan: I believe you're right! My big concern (right now) is the guy between the pipes. I realize the WINGS have really not had to play with alot of enthusiasm for too many games the last month or so, but HASEK and OSGOOD have both looked shakey. And while some of that is the five guys up front, there have been far too many weak goals scored. Osgood and Hasek are supposed to be elite goalies. Are they? Really?

I've never been a Hasek fan and don't care for him even more since he's not playing well and has been inconsistent all year.

Ozzy has started out great but tapered off soon after signing his three year deal. Perhaps he reached the comfort zone and decided to take it easy now since he doesn't mind being backup. I would prefer him over Hasek right now.

Though, I think either one isn't going to be good, I would just about opt for Howard. I only hope the defense is on top of things.

Edmonton @ Vancouver now underway. Vancouver must get two to have any chance. Nashville @ Chicago on Friday nite. Chicago could be a REAL spoiler if they take two. Then its up to VANCOUVER at home against CALGARY.

Will be an interesting Friday and Sunday at the Rinks.

The Wings' win to clinch #1 eliminated the possibility of Dallas or Minnesota being their 1st round opponents. Nashville's win eliminated Chicago.

So it's down to Calgary, Nashville or Vancouver. Canucks are on the brink - they're losing to Edmonton 2-0 heading into the 3rd and will be eliminated unless they come back and win.

Vancouver gets a glimmer of hope. Oilers take stupid penalty and Canucks score on resulting PP to cut lead in half 2-1 with 7 minutes to go. Now 4 minutes left.

Henrik Sedin takes a hooking penalty with 1:18 to go so Canucks will end game shorthanded. Talk about an ill-timed penalty.

It's official, Canucks are out! It will be Nashville vs. Detroit unless the Preds do at least 1 pt better in their final game than Calgary does in theirs.

A 1st round matchup against the Flames, given Keenan is behind the bench, would provide some good quotes and soap operas, I'm sure. When was the last time Keenan was in the playoffs, anyways?

It's official, Canucks are out! It will be Nashville vs. Detroit unless the Preds do at least 1 pt better in their final game than Calgary does in theirs.

The hapless Canucks couldn't get it done, penalties did them in. I didn't see the game, but was monitoring the scores on TSN. So now its Nashville unless, as you say the Preds get one more point than the Flames in their respective last games. Vancouver could take two from Calgary and Nashville could get 1 or 2 in their last game against St. Louis and its Calgary as #8 seed. Both Nashville and Calgary win and its Nashville.

BTW Kiprusoff looked strong in the replays I saw.:grin:

OOPs Nashville @ Chicago last game tonight (not St. Louis).

So a Nashville win or O.T loss and a Calgary loss in their last game means Calgary is #8.

So a Nashville win or O.T loss and a Calgary loss in their last game means Calgary is #8.

Actually, I think a Nashville OT loss would not be enough for the Preds to get 7th, even if Calgary loses in regulation. Cuz they'd be tied in points and wins but Calgary won the 4-game season series. If Nashville wins, then an OT loss would not be enough for Calgary, as they'd be tied in points but Nashville would have an extra win.

So it will be Nashville as #8 unless a) Nashville wins tonight; and b) Calgary loses tomorrow night (regardless of whether the Calgary loss is in regulation, OT or SO).

Interesting scoreboard watching tonight:

Chicago 3, Nashville 1, end 2nd - a Nashville loss would ensure they're #8

Philly 3, NJ 0, final - Flyers clinched playoff spot

Florida 4, Carolina 3, final - Carolina finishes regular season, will finish 3rd ... or 9th!

Boston 2, Ottawa 1, final - both clinched

Nice to see Philly, Boston and Montreal all in. The NHL needs such franchises in the playoffs.