DennisDubay

Picture of Atlanta tornado

Hey Dennis, upon loading this page I was prompted to enter a username and password for totalfark.com. Also, no picture loads. Just an fyi. :happy:

MCS if you have problems finding it from the links, PM me and I'll upload to flickr. It actually enlarges quite well on my laptop.

That's amazing. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere near that, but what a great picture.

What part is the tornado? I assume thats it over on the left-hand side?

Edit: The article says it's the wide gray strip in the middle (embeded with rain) but I think this is it on the left.

atl-tornado.jpg

Edit: The article says it's the wide gray strip in the middle (embeded with rain) but I think this is it on the left.

atl-tornado.jpg

i thought it was to the right of the anntena

Horrible side-story...

Tornado takes 'Mrs. Bonnie,' animal lover

By Wynn Westmoreland

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- I met Bonnie Turner seven years ago when I was looking for a puppy.

There was just simply no one better to turn to than the eccentric grandmother who loved animals so much that her 86-acre North Georgia farm was home to donkeys, goats, high-priced show dogs and even a few wayward deer.

On Saturday, nothing was left of that bucolic sanctuary after a 130-mph tornado ravaged it. Bonnie died, thrown 50 feet from her home as her husband, Michael, cried out her name, their neighbors Joe and Jamie Wheeler said.

Her death has shaken me. Images of the animals that died -- at least 35 dogs and 100 still missing -- make my voice crack when I speak about her.

More...

atl-tornado.jpg

What a crappy circle......

My daughter lives in downtown Atlanta, well at least she did. She was supposed to be leaving Atlanta Friday NIGHT! She got held over and ended up moving on Sunday to Myrtle Beach. Her building didn't get slammed but the buildings all around her did. She saw people walking the streets and actually saw people FLYING in the air. She had no idea there was a tornado. She looked outside, flipped on the tv -- and it didn't work!

I thought it was the wide gray strip in the middle as well. The thing on the left looks too...disorganized.

One way to determine where the tornado would be in the picture is to use triangulation. The article gives the approximate location of the photographer, and the direction the camera is pointed could be determined pretty well using buildings in the shot. Then, find where this direction intersects the tornado path, and you have your answer.

Now, I don't know Atlanta very well, but I'll give it a shot.

Edit: I gave the buildings thing a quick shot, but that didn't yield much. I did find that the photo is most likely looking south, with the storm moving right to left and slightly away from the camera. I compared the radar from that night to the cloud structures, and I would guess that Yoda is more likely to be right. There is just not enough vertical structure above the gray area to convince me that this is the location of the updraft. It justs looks more spectacular because it's being well-lit by lightning. This looks more like the flanking line, or a rear-flank downdraft, which would be behind the storm. That would make the gray area rain.

Also, the tornado damage path was determined to be about 100 yards wide. That gray area is far wider than that.

I thought it was the wide gray strip in the middle as well. The thing on the left looks too...disorganized.

It's full of debris. You're not going to see the funnel all the way to the ground. It's clearly visible at the top, though, and the debris around the bottom half is classic tornado debris, similar to this.

I left Atlanta THAT morning on a plane. Flew up for the University of Florida SEC tourney game. I guess I'm glad they lost?