jake

Revisiting Drew Stanton

In hindsight, the Martz hiring was a bad move, only because his philosophy didn't match what the rest of the organization was trying to do.

However, I think it was probably worth the risk. Afterall, while the offense was bad, at least they moved the ball, which is a hell of a lot more than I could say about our West Coast Offense.

I don't know. I think every problem that was created with Martz was easily seen and actually discussed on this board beforehand.

Have you ever seen a coach taking shots at a draft pick in the media like Martz did over Stanton's mechanics? I certainly haven't.

All I remember reading is that Mike Martz loved the Drew Stanton pick. And that Martz wanted Stanton.

(For some reason the link doesn't work. It's from a sparty blog that I googled.

1. On Stanton: “His ability to quickly receive and process information is remarkable.” Most players who enter the NFL can’t do it. In this Stanton is “comparable to Marshall Faulk and Isaac Bruce.” Martz talked about Drew’s performance against Notre Dame last year. How well he handled adversity in a game situation. “His competitiveness is beyond reproach.” “He is comfortable is all situations. A real leader.”

Maybe he was just toeing the company line, and it's clear Martz thought Stanton had terrible mechanics, but it didn't seem at the time that the pick was made over Martz's objections.

We had a solid tailback in Jones and I at the time, rather we had built around the run, but Millen had drafted these wide outs R. Williams, Rogers, and M. Williams. I think he wanted to show case them.

Martz being hired in San Fran. is worst then him being here. They have a pro bowl caliber back in Gore but they are going to be passing the ball with lack luster wide outs and even worse QBs. Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, and Martz old friend J.T O'sullivan are battling to start.

And it wasn't just Martz and Michigan fans talking about Stanton's mechanics. Lots of people said he had a problem throwing the ball correctly in college, IIRC.

I also thought it was a Martz pick but I've since been corrected, turns out it was a Marinelli and Millen pick and Martz wasn't a fan.

It's one thing to talk about a draft pick needing to work on his mechanics but Martz took that to a whole other level. I remember watching Martz talk to the media about how terrible Drew's mechanics really are, how ridiculous it is that he made it through college without someone fixing him, and how Martz is going to have to break him down and start over.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080522/SPORTS01/805220349/1049

Sounds like Kitna's a lock for the starting job this season!

Drew Stanton is still getting into the swing of things after having his mechanics changed by former offensive coordinator Mike Martz and missing his rookie season because of a knee injury.

Stanton, a second-round pick out of Michigan State last year, is participating in only his first few practices since the third day of training camp last year, and sometimes he has struggled even to throw a spiral. He has been working closely with new quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler.

"He's gotten better," offensive coordinator Jim Colletto said after the first practice Wednesday, the second day of a mandatory minicamp. "Scot's worked on it with him a lot, and sometimes he reverts back to some old habits. Today he didn't throw an interception, so that was a huge plus."

One of Stanton's passes was particularly poor Wednesday morning. He threw a ball down the left sideline that wobbled and died in the air. Wide receiver Devale Ellis had to stop and come back to catch it.

Asked about that pass, Colletto smiled and said: "I kind of close my eyes and don't pay attention."

Can't we already see what's going to happen? Stanton will struggle and the organization will blame it on Martz for changing his mechanics.

Can't we already see what's going to happen? Stanton will struggle and the organization will blame it on Martz for changing his mechanics.

Hook, line, and sinker right there.

Hopefully he'll get it together. I have to think once you have it, you have it... it just might take a minute to find it again *I hope* :ponder:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080803/SPORTS01/808030586/1049/SPORTS01

Lions quarterback Drew Stanton has discarded virtually all of the changes former offensive coordinator Mike Martz made to his mechanics last season.

"I have no idea looking back why all that happened, all the changes that he made," Stanton said Saturday. "There's one thing that I still use that he taught me, and that's it.

"And that was just changing my grip a little bit, and I'm sure just any coach probably would have come along and changed that a little bit, just the difference between an NFL ball and one of those Nike college footballs."

The NFL ball is shaped slightly differently, a little narrower at the top. Stanton puts his index finger higher on the ball than he did at Michigan State. He has more space between his palm and the ball.

Martz breaks down quarterbacks and builds them back up based on his beliefs. He made what Stanton called wholesale changes to his mechanics after the Lions drafted him in the second round last year.

Then Stanton suffered a knee injury three days into training camp and spent the season on injured reserve.

Stanton essentially started from scratch this off-season. Martz had gone to San Francisco, and the Lions had hired Scot Loeffler, a former Michigan player and assistant, as quarterbacks coach.

Asked about his mechanics now, Stanton said they are "much closer to what I used to be than what Coach Martz had me try to be. Scot's changed some things that really make sense to me, and I feel great doing it.

"It allows me to put more on the ball and put less stress on my body and get my body in position to make all the throws and get to my check-downs."

Stanton is concentrating on opening his hips, so he doesn't throw across his body as much.

He struggled in the off-season and early in camp. He would think about his mechanics, while trying to process the offense, while playing football for the first time in months. He had trouble getting into a rhythm. Many passes weren't pretty.

He still has a long way to go. But during Saturday's controlled scrimmage, the closest thing he has had to game action since his last game at MSU, he looked better. He completed a couple of touchdown passes and said he couldn't wait for Thursday night's exhibition opener against the New York Giants, his first chance to play at Ford Field.

Is it better to make a quarterback fit a certain mold, or better to let him be himself with some minor adjustments?

"I think people throw the way they throw," Stanton said. "There's things you can do to help aid that, to be more efficient with it. But there's obviously different schools of thought on that, which last year was a prime example of."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080822/SPORTS01/80822039/1049

Quarterback Drew Stanton has a sprained right thumb and likely will be in a cast for four weeks, putting him out for the rest of the Lions’ preseason and the start of the regular season.

Stanton hit his throwing hand on a teammate’s shoulder pad during practice Thursday. Dean Kleinschmidt, the Lions’ director of athletic medicine, said today there was no fracture and no need for surgery. But the thumb needs to be immobilized.

The cast will come off after two weeks so Stanton can be reevaluated, but it likely will go right back on.

“He should start throwing quickly after the cast comes off,” Kleinschmidt said.

Stanton likely would not be available until Oct. 5 against Chicago. Four weeks from today is Sept. 19, just before the Lions play Sept. 21 at San Francisco. The bye week follows.

But Stanton likely would not have played early in the regular season. He is expected to be the third quarterback.

More important is missing Saturday’s exhibition against Cleveland and Thursday night’s exhibition finale at Buffalo. Stanton badly needs the playing time for his development.

Stanton suffered a knee injury three days into training camp last year and spent his rookie season in injured reserve. He looked good in his first two NFL exhibitions this year. He tossed a 50-yard touchdown pass and ran for a 10-yard TD in the fourth quarter Sunday night at Cincinnati.

Why?

I believe that was a joke alluding him being IR'd after a minor injury last season.

I believe that was a joke alluding him being IR'd after a minor injury last season.

I should have written it in color. :happy:

Poor Stanton. I wonder if now this mean Henson makes the team as a third or if they only carry 2?

I don't know the rules exactly, but can't Stanton start the season on the PUP to free up a roster spot for the first six weeks?

This is something ive wondered as well...do you have to start camp on the PUP to start the season there??

Poor Stanton. I wonder if now this mean Henson makes the team as a third or if they only carry 2?

No need to carry three.