jake

Revisiting Drew Stanton

It seems more and more like Martz may have been bitter over the Lions drafting Stanton and a lot of the mechanics stuff was his way of throwing a fit claiming he can't do anything with the kid.

I remember hearing stuff before the draft about how Stanton had bad mechanics in college. Most of the reports about him were that he had a good attitude, he had a great body for a QB, but that he hadn't been taught how to play quarterback properly at MSU.

Maybe they're ment to be a parody and the joke's on us.

What else explains giving Matt Million contract extension after contract extension? Then on top of that, people continuing to sell out every game? Ford is laughing his *** off all the way to the bank.

I remember hearing stuff before the draft about how Stanton had bad mechanics in college. Most of the reports about him were that he had a good attitude, he had a great body for a QB, but that he hadn't been taught how to play quarterback properly at MSU.

You know something is a little goofy when a school has its highly touted QB recruit play special teams.

You know something is a little goofy when a school has its highly touted QB recruit play special teams.

That has nothing to do with Stanton's mechanics, that has to do with the mental ineptitude of the coaching staff.

That has nothing to do with Stanton's mechanics, that has to do with the mental ineptitude of the coaching staff.

Which is what I was alluding to. I think Stanton has the mental and physical tools to be successful in the NFL - I question his durability and the ability of the Lions to bring out that talent.

Lions QB Drew Stanton back from limbo and 'back to feeling comfortable'

What’s this?

They were just the Lions' first couple of off-season practices. But to Drew Stanton, they were a big deal. He's back on the field again, competing with quarterback Jon Kitna and company.

"I haven't done anything in a whole year," Stanton said Wednesday. "I was joking with Jon yesterday. I said, 'I haven't put a helmet on since last August,' and it felt awkward. I'm excited to get out here and just kind of learn now."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080508/SPORTS01/805080413/1049

Lions QB Drew Stanton back from limbo and 'back to feeling comfortable'

What’s this?

They were just the Lions' first couple of off-season practices. But to Drew Stanton, they were a big deal. He's back on the field again, competing with quarterback Jon Kitna and company.

"I haven't done anything in a whole year," Stanton said Wednesday. "I was joking with Jon yesterday. I said, 'I haven't put a helmet on since last August,' and it felt awkward. I'm excited to get out here and just kind of learn now."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080508/SPORTS01/805080413/1049

DUDE! Just stop, please. How many times can you repost the same news articles, seriously? The damn story is right up above n the same page. I guess at least you didn't creat a new thread this time.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080510/SPORTS01/80510001/1049

Drew Stanton becomes Rod Marinelli’s free pass.

There’s only one instance where yet another regular-season calamity keeps Marinelli’s — and, yes, believe or not, Matt Millen’s — hide off the hot seat for yet another disastrous regular season.

And that’s a commitment to Stanton as the Lions’ new starting quarterback at some point next season.

They’re rebuilding this season.

The tone of their recent draft reflected that sentiment, regardless of Jon Kitna’s insistence that anything short of 10 wins this season — yet again — would be an extreme disappointment. It presents a conundrum that’s so vintage Lions — Kitna’s experience provides the best chance of avoiding 10 losses for the second straight season, but Marinelli must offer some semblance of legitimate advancement to quell growing suspicions that he’s overmatched as a head coach.

The idea of possibly — finally — unearthing that young franchise quarterback remains the one sure remedy in this town of keeping the hounds from baying at the head coach’s heels.

When you’ve enjoyed consistent success with first and second round draft choices, you can more easily cut loose a high draft choice and accept the salary cap ramifications and the possibilities that the player could thrive at his next destination.

But the Lions don’t have that luxury.

Their payroll is flooded with “dead money,” prorated signing bonus money for the Lions’ high draft choices long since gone. Millen and Marinelli cannot sacrifice Stanton without first knowing if he possesses the requisite skills of becoming a quality NFL quarterback.

Both Stanton and Dan Orlovsky have positioned themselves as helpless pawns in Mike Martz’s sadistic mind game last season. Stanton told the Free Press last week that Martz only told him what was wrong, but never provided a road map to the right approach. The coaching staff largely ignored him after knee surgery in training camp placed him in injured reserve, shelving him for the entire season and denying him the opportunity to take practice repetitions during the regular season.

Orlovsky resided in Martz’s doghouse because the former offensive coordinator didn’t believe Orlovsky was smart enough to handle the intricacies of Martz’s offensive scheme. He’s more comfortable now with the new streamlined offense, but since Orlovsky was a fifth-round draft pick three years ago, there’s little salary-cap consequence if the Lions bailed on him this season.

Money dictates opportunity for young players in the NFL.

Should Marinelli provide Stanton with that opportunity, he just might get an opportunity to survive another horrible season.

I don't know if it's too soon to put Stanton in or not. That's a real trick in the NFL. Sometimes it's better if a qb sits a season or two. Sometimes a team hit's pay-dirt. With Stanton hurt last season I wonder how much time he put in? Like to game film and on the sidelines. I guess it's a crapshoot.

Stanton is essentially a rookie this year whose lack of activity last season set him back at least a year if not two. He is a long ways off and the Lions will be lucky if he's productive within three season.

These were my initial thoughts on Stanton right after his training camp injury last year. Not much has changed.

Stanton was drafted because all involved in the Lions front office saw some magical leadership quality in him. They chose to ignore his "tape" even though that has been Rod's magic rallying cry all off season. Had they practiced what they preached they'd have seen a tape that featured never winning a single big game at State and a couple of god awful 4th quarter decisions that would've made even Kitna blush. Let's not get started on the injury history that was a complete non-issue for the Lions on draft day yet it pops up before the end of the 1st training camp workout.

Stanton was not a bad pick in the 4th round. He was a horrendous pick to actually trade up and take in the 2nd round.

Hopefully he'll prove me wrong but I seriously doubt it.

The fact is the Lions traded down in the 2nd. They were able to amass extra picks, and had the ammo to take Stanton in a weak draft.

It seems more and more like Martz may have been bitter over the Lions drafting Stanton and a lot of the mechanics stuff was his way of throwing a fit claiming he can't do anything with the kid.

Well, or Stanton has poor mechanics, which he does.

wasn't stanton rated higher then any of the qbs in this years draft?

Haha no, Chad Henne would have been tons better.

IMHO, Stanton isn't as bad as a lot of you are making him out to be. What are you all basing your assessments on? I haven't seen him play in a real NFL game yet.

IMHO, Stanton isn't as bad as a lot of you are making him out to be. What are you all basing your assessments on? I haven't seen him play in a real NFL game yet.

Most of the people who dislike Stanton here are UM fans - so they aren't exactly fair and unbiased.

Cruzer,

They could've gotten someone that could've helped them immediately on defense and possibly been an impact player if they didn't trade down. I will take quality over quantity in that situation.

Well, or Stanton has poor mechanics, which he does.

Have you ever seen a coach taking shots at a draft pick in the media like Martz did over Stanton's mechanics? I certainly haven't.

Have you ever seen a coach taking shots at a draft pick in the media like Martz did over Stanton's mechanics? I certainly haven't.

That was crazy. You draft a QB in the 2nd round and you want to completely overhaul is entire throwing motion. Lionesque.

Really, Stanton in round two was a reach a year ago. I would love to see him play this pre-season.

However, I think the man who is going to benefit from Martz leaving the most is Dan Orvlosky. Martz viewed him as too dumb to run his high tech system, even though he is probley better then J.T O'Suillvan.

I still wish the Lions had spent a 2nd rounder this year on Brohm or Henne. But I understand why they didnt. It is like they have a second round rookie this year in Stanton so...

That was crazy. You draft a QB in the 2nd round and you want to completely overhaul is entire throwing motion. Lionesque.

I'd say it was more Martz-esque than Lions-esque. The whole Stanton situation shows that Martz was not on the same page as Millen/Marinelli in terms of QB drafting and development.

thewave,

And I guess I'm not saying anything you don't already know here and probably agree with, but that's what makes it Lion-esque. We all "knew" that Martz would be a bad match for a rookie coach with a GM that has a bad track record.

The Lions created that confusion - confusion that was predictable before he got the job.

Really, I wish that either we would of hired Martz as our head coach and go full with his system or not hire him at all.

I will never understand the Martz hire. Was dead set against it before it happened and thought pretty much what happened would. And hey, I'm not a genius. I think anyone that had a five-minute history of the situation would've come to that same conclusion. But the Lions didn't. Maybe if you had a strong-minded veteran gone-through-the-wars coach that could deal with Martz. But not the Lions' situation. That was doomed for failure from day one.