jake

Revisiting Drew Stanton

Announcer: "They're dropping 8 into coverage, and Stanton is killing them".

Drew had some bad games, but this was not one of those. But it was NW. We'll see. I wasn't a Drew fan every game, but he does have some talent. The Lions will probably destroy him if he doesn't do it himself.

Kind of random, but if you read the NBA scores at the bottom, sometime in the first 30 seconds, you see that the Pistons lost to the Grizz. I blame Stanton for this.

Not only that, but I don't remember game four of the 2006 World Series was postponed due to rain. I would hope they would make it up soon.

Stanton was a Martz guy that he wanted to tear apart and rebuild the 'right' way. I wonder where things stand now that Martz is gone (i.e. already good on the new throwing motion, didn't get far enough so he'll fall back to his old motion, or stick a fork in him cuz they broke him down and left him in shambles)?

Stanton was a Martz guy that he wanted to tear apart and rebuild the 'right' way. I wonder where things stand now that Martz is gone (i.e. already good on the new throwing motion, didn't get far enough so he'll fall back to his old motion, or stick a fork in him cuz they broke him down and left him in shambles)?

Kowalski reports the opposite. Martz didn't want him, that it was Millen who fell in love with Stanton.

Interesting, I wonder if that's why Martz so publicly criticized him over bad technique. Do you know how far they got with him before letting Martz go?

Interesting, I wonder if that's why Martz so publicly criticized him over bad technique. Do you know how far they got with him before letting Martz go?

They couldn't do much, since Stanton was on IR. He's got that former UM Quarterback coach now to teach him. He'll be fine.

That's what I was hoping - saved by IR! It would have been a shame to tear him apart and forget about him.

The one thing Martz does best is grooming QB's so it would have been nice if he had enough time to mold this kid a bit.

That's what I was hoping - saved by IR! It would have been a shame to tear him apart and forget about him.

The one thing Martz does best is grooming QB's so it would have been nice if he had enough time to mold this kid a bit.

He did have some time with Martz, which I agree is good. Scott Loeffler is the QB coach I couldn't think of.

The Lions have confirmed the hiring of former University of Michigan quarterback coach Scot Loeffler to fill the same position in Detroit. Loeffler, who was also linked to job openings with UCLA, Alabama and Tennessee, will work closely with new offensive coordinator Jim Colletto and passing coordinator Kippy Brown.

One of Loeffler's first duties will be developing an off-season program for Drew Stanton, last year's second-round draft pick. Stanton had all of his mechanics, from his grip on the football to his footwork, changed by former offensive coordinator Mike Martz. It will be interesting to see if Loeffler continues with Martz's plan or develops a different approach with Stanton.

This is a good sign for Stanton. Keeping Gase on as an assistant might mean they plan to keep him on the Martz plan. I don't think it would make much sense to go away from it.

Yup I thought I had read Gase was staying on as an assistant but it looks like your right, it seems Martz took him along to the 49ers.

Something struck me when I saw the quotes from Detroit Lions quarterback Jon Kitna on the surprising departure of running back Kevin Jones.

"They have a plan,'' said Kitna, who didn't seem too worried that Jones could be replaced. "(Lions head coach Rod Marinelli) has had to make some hard decisions. I think he's trying to build the youth and depth of the team. He's trying to do what he thinks is going to be best for the team.''

Here's what I'm wondering: Is Kitna still going to like the "plan'' when Drew Stanton is starting at quarterback this season?

Here's what Kitna and every other player on that roster needs to know: You're closer to being benched than you think. Marinelli can be absolutely ruthless in making decisions that he believes are in the best interest in the team. And if you think your talent is going to save you, have a chat with a couple of former Pro Bowlers like Shaun Rogers and Dre Bly.

And if you think sacrificing your body and battling through pain and injury and proving your worth as a warrior will save you, talk to Kevin Jones.

Former offensive coordinator Mike Martz is no longer here to explain why Kitna is playing so fabulous but why there still seems to be too many interceptions and fourth-quarter failures.

I'm not picking on Kitna here because he's just one of many veterans -- and young players alike -- who are on extremely short leashes. Now, Marinelli is going to tell you that he loves Kitna's leadership and that he's currently the starter but know this: Marinelli's only loyalty is to his 'plan' of winning a championship. As soon as he believes that you're part of the problem and not the solution -- regardless of your talent level or resume -- you're history.

The Lions say that immediate salary cap pressure played no part in the decision to dump Jones. If that's true, there was absolutely no reason to get rid of him now. The Lions could've waited well into training camp to see how he was progressing before making their decision. And please -- puh-leeze -- don't tell me the Lions let him go now so he'd have a better chance to land with another team.

Marinelli got rid of Jones because he felt he wasn't going to be able to help him win. Was it a risky decision because Jones might be back sooner than the Lions thought? Sure, but that's not the point. Marinelli had made up his mind and that's that. Marinelli's 'plan' didn't include Kevin Jones.

There will always be some inconsistencies here and there, but Marinelli is overwhelmingly a guy who sees in black and white. You either do or you don't -- there is no shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Kitna would be wise to remember that -- especially if the Lions get off to a slow start this season. And, maybe, even if they don't. After all, Marinelli has a 'plan'.

Interesting read from TK - all opinion based but still interesting take.

that next to last paragraph...

the black and white vision...and the no woulda, coulda, shoulda, part...

is that the key to the marinelli-millen bond?...and is that what was missing with his other three previous coaches?...

yet conversely, isn't that exactly what eventually went wong with the marinelli-martz team?...

so then, are we now to believe that switch to the colletto/brown combination will be "the" final fix necessary to get everyone on the same page and with the same vision?...

i guess wcf is just going to keep letting him chop away at it until he gets it right eventually?...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080320/SPORTS01/803200431/1048

Lions quarterback Drew Stanton seems ready to turn the page.

His 2007 rookie season was over before it began. The former Michigan State and Farmington Hills Harrison standout missed the season after arthroscopic knee surgery in August.

"The knee's good -- everything's good," Stanton said Wednesday before a Toys for Tots reading event at the Detroit Public Library. "We started our off-season workouts, and I couldn't be more pleased with where I am right now."

The new season brings with it a new offensive coordinator in Jim Colletto. But Stanton doesn't think his time with Mike Martz was wasted.

"The big thing is that I learned a lot from Coach Martz ... as far as my mechanics are concerned, but also the game itself," Stanton said. "He's so knowledgeable, and I remember writing down everything that came out of his mouth."

Sure, Stanton would love to start for the Lions.

"I think all of us want to start," he said. "I know I have a lot to work on and a lot to get better at, and, hopefully, Jon (Kitna) can work with me on those things; he has to this point. He's been unbelievable.

"I think the important thing for me is to just see where I stack up within this league and this organization and just play to the best of my abilities."

Stanton will fit right in on the lions team, win a bunch of games early and look good, then totally collapse in big games and fail to make the postseason, which he did almost every year at Michigan St.

Stanton will fit right in on the lions team, win a bunch of games early and look good, then totally collapse in big games and fail to make the postseason, which he did almost every year at Michigan St.

That's unfair to Stanton, he really didn't have enough talent around him, and the defense wasn't good enough.

That's unfair to Stanton, he really didn't have enough talent around him, and the defense wasn't good enough.

225 pass yds/game 64 rush yds/game 68% completion 6 TD 2 INT in first 3 games(3-0)

159.8 pass yds/game 38 rush yds/game 57% completion 6 TD 8 INT last 9 games (1-8 record, injured 1 and most of another one, yds/game out of healthy games)

296 yds/game 30 rush yds/game 73 % completion 13 TD 2 INT first 4 games(4-0)

230 yds/game 30 rush yds/game 63 % completion 9 TD 10 INT last 7 games (1-6 record)

while I agree MSU didnt have a great team around him, his numbers sure got worse in those bad stretches, you could blame it on competition. But if thats the case why did we waste a 2nd round pick on a guy with bad numbers against good competition?

The stats don't always tell the whole story. When teams lack talent many QB's try to force things and as a result the stats will take a hit. Take a look at Favre for example, (this is in no way to compare Stanton to Favre) here you have a great QB who puts up great numbers when he is surrounded by a good team but as the talent falls so do his stats. The reason is because he's trying to win games at all cost, not to pad his stats, so he will tend to force things and make more bad throws.

.........Yds...TD/Int

2007 4,155 28/15

2006 3,885 18/18

2005 3,881 20/29

2004 4,088 30/17

It's not that Favre forgot how to play during the 2005 and 2006 seasons, they just lacked talent. Thie biggest difference in 2007 was solid play on defense and in turn, Favre didn't have to force as many throws knowing he could count on them to get a stop. Whether or not Stanton will fit into that same theory is uncertain but I also don't think it's fair to judge him based on his college stats alone.

The stats don't always tell the whole story. When teams lack talent many QB's try to force things and as a result the stats will take a hit. Take a look at Favre for example, (this is in no way to compare Stanton to Favre) here you have a great QB who puts up great numbers when he is surrounded by a good team but as the talent falls so do his stats. The reason is because he's trying to win games at all cost, not to pad his stats, so he will tend to force things and make more bad throws.

.........Yds...TD/Int

2007 4,155 28/15

2006 3,885 18/18

2005 3,881 20/29

2004 4,088 30/17

It's not that Favre forgot how to play during the 2005 and 2006 seasons, they just lacked talent. Thie biggest difference in 2007 was solid play on defense and in turn, Favre didn't have to force as many throws knowing he could count on them to get a stop. Whether or not Stanton will fit into that same theory is uncertain but I also don't think it's fair to judge him based on his college stats alone.

you cant compare NFL stats to college stats. and Favre has proven he can get it done, when has Stanton proven he can play against top competition(even in college)