slfairless

ESPN: Lions will go 9-7 next season

Will the firing of pass-happy offensive coordinator Mike Martz equal two more Lions wins? ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth thinks so.

He declared on Tuesday's "SportsCenter" that the Lions would go 9-7 next season.

Schlereth didn't give much reasoning other than a focus on the running game and better offensive balance would take the Lions, who went 7-9 in 2007, to 9-7.

Draft guru Todd McShay thinks the Lions need to get more physical. He suggests taking Jeff Otah, offensive tackle from Pittsburgh as a first-round pick (No. 15 overall) and says Otah could be a starter right away. McShay also suggests CB Tracy Porter (Indiana) in the second round and DT Letroy Guion (Florida State) and Mike Hart (Michigan) in the third round.

I'd love to see 9-7 but I feel it's a bit optimistic. I do think they'll be a much more consistent team next season but unless they have an outstanding A++ type draft I'm not sold on 9-7 quite yet.

The more interesting part fo the article is McShay's draft suggestions :pirate:

Otah can be a starter right away? This kids a beast! I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions grab him @ 15, there's no doubt he'll be a force in the NFL someday but I never saw him as someone who could be a starter right away.

Wasn't one of the knocks against Porter that he's not physical? If so, I don't see how that fits.

As a UM fan I'm trying real hard to get behind the Hart pick but I can't.

Well if Mark Schlereth says so, then the Lions will be great next year. The guy knows what he's talking about, and has clearly taken all variables into consideration.

I hope he's right. Every year we see this stuff though and every year we just hope it's right - not that we think it's possible.

The last 4-5 seasons have been some of the most bleak I've had as a sports fan with the Lions. There were a few years I just went into the season expecting something like 3-13 or 4-12. And you are doing that thinking that's the high end, hoping it happens. There's nothing worse than that.

i have a hard time imagining the Lions to get back to 7-9 let alone 9-7. This is the NFL and every year a team comes out of nowehere. Perhaps this is Detroit's year. I keep telling myself if Tampa was able to win a Super Bowl, why not Detroit?

The Lions have a tough schedule with the AFC South next year, so it will be difficult to achieve 9-7.

i have a hard time imagining the Lions to get back to 7-9 let alone 9-7.

I could buy in at 7-9 this season and maybe 9-7 for 2009. At that rate we might even make the playoffs in 2010 :confused:

EDIT: I'm curious to hear what some of our draft guys think of McShay's draft suggestions?

Those morons at ESPN are so out of touch with the state of the lions. I don't see anything the lions did this season to improve on last years record. I hope they prove me wrong but, history on my side tells me otherwise.

I could buy in at 7-9 this season and maybe 9-7 for 2009. At that rate we might even make the playoffs in 2010 :confused:

EDIT: I'm curious to hear what some of our draft guys think of McShay's draft suggestions?

I usually think highly of McShay, but not here. Tracy Porter as a cover 2 corner? He shys away from contact. Mike Hart in the 3rd round? Are you kidding me?

Isn't Otah a bit soft? I mean he's a big man, but I thought the knock on him is that he looks soft and he's slow...slow even for a lineman.

Mike Hart would be a stupid pick in the third round ... so the question becomes now; does Millen trade up in the 3rd round to get Mike Hart?

IMO, McShay is a guesser and not particularly good at it! I think ESPN is just trying to develop an alternative to Kipper. I don't think it is working thus far!

Mike Hart would be a stupid pick in the third round ... so the question becomes now; does Millen trade up in the 3rd round to get Mike Hart?

Give Millen some credit. He will trade up in the first round to get mike hart.

Hopefully we draft a corner, and Rodgers-Cromartie or Leonidas McKelvin falls to us. If not, I think Aqib Talib would be a decent pick. If all 3 are gone, I might be for taking a runningback.

It's sad that we're looking forward to a 9-7, probably miss the playoffs season.

What's sad is that 9-7 is a pipe dream.

I understand why people don't think the Lions can go 9-7. I understand the frustration of years of ineptitude. I even understand that on paper it doesn't look good - but for my own mental stability I've decided I will now expect the best out of this team. I know there may not be one shred of evidence in my corner, but I don't care any more. I feel better being optimistic. So, having said all that...

The Lions will go 11-5 next season.

How the hell can ANYONE predict the season before the draft happens? That's like predicting the NCAA tourney with only 1/2 of the field named.

How the hell can ANYONE predict the season before the draft happens? That's like predicting the NCAA tourney with only 1/2 of the field named.

I think he meant 7-9

I can see the headlines now...

"Back to Back seasons were Lions do not have double digit losses, they are improving"

Lions managment want you to be happy and excited about just getting to 7-9

It's called throwing **** against a wall. In the highly unlikely event that it sticks he can toot his horn about what a great prognosticator he is, but when the Lions go 5-11, no one will remember he made the prediction to begin with.

I would be quite happy with 8-8 next year. One of my rules of thumb is don't expect draft picks to significantly help the team as rookies. So considering where the talent level is right now, 8-8 would be significant evidence that Marinelli's approach is turning things around.

From the various sports guys I have listened to, several predict that the Bears are not going to be any better in 2008 (some predict worse). They also question whether a Favre-less Green Bay will fall from grace. I've heard many predict that Minnesota will be the team to beat in our division, with the Lions and Green Bay having an outside chance.

I think Green Bay was so much more than Brett Favre this year. They should be fine and win 10 games next season IMO. I don't know if Minnesota will stay as hot at the beginning of 2008 as they were the second half of the 2007 season.

I'm skeptical as well, and I'll wait till everything shakes down. I'm not sure that Roy Williams isn't on his way out. If Millen is looking to dump him getting a couple quality starters for him, and Calvin turns into the receiver that most claimed he would become, I could see us being a 8-8/9-7 type team. My gut tells me we are 6-10 in 2008 though.

You should see the French whore after Millen is done with her

Nah - Millen would trade her for Courtney Taylor and a 7th rounder