Sign in to follow this  
Mschottey1985

3-10 Mock

1- Derrick Harvey (DE-Florida)

2- Felix Jones (RB-Arkansas)

~N.B. I severely doubt he drops this far, but NFLDraftScout has Jamaal Charles ranked above him now. We could get Jones/Charles/Chris Johnson at this point or wait until 4th or 5th round. All depends if you want a talented young body or someone to help immediately.

3- Tavares Gooden (ILB-Miami)

3- Marcus Howard (OLB- Georgia)

4- Eric Young (OG-Tennesee)

5- Lionel Dotson (DT- Arizona)

6- Kevin O'Connell (QB- San Jose State)

7- Wilrey Fontenot (CB-Arizona)

It looks ok at first glance but I'm going to wait until TSE comments on it before deciding how I should feel.

What does the entire mock look like?

Cruz,

Its a full 7-round mock so I don't want to post it here. If you want to ask specific questions I can answer them. Otherwise a trip over to the actual website would fix it!

As for the player rankings (I've gotten a few questions) we use primarily NFL Draft Scout, but there are quite a few other sources that we weigh against it.

Team needs is my bag--at least for the Lions--so thats what I debate.

where did Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie go?

18 to Houston

-I had kept CB as one of the top priorities until the signing of Kelly. I still think we need young blood in there but its no longer a pressing need. Cromartie would be a great player in a Lions uniform, but teams don't usually take a 1st rounder when they've spent a lot of FA money there.

18 to Houston

-I had kept CB as one of the top priorities until the signing of Kelly. I still think we need young blood in there but its no longer a pressing need. Cromartie would be a great player in a Lions uniform, but teams don't usually take a 1st rounder when they've spent a lot of FA money there.

i agree with you on that one, i was just curious how high his stock rose, i dont expect a cb first 2 rounds at least anymore

18 to Houston

I'd be shocked if DRC lasted past the Pats at 7. He's really a superstar type, and the Pats have a need there. I don't mind Harvey at 15, but he didn't look very good in the bowl game against UM. I don't like that he put on weight, he needs to trim down and be quick. One guy who I think won't get picked by the Lions for sure is Calais Campbell, who's too tall, and plays too high to get leverage. He's also inconsistant, and is overrated in my book.

what makes you think Gholston jumps so high? #2 overall is a huge reach. I also can't imagine Long dropping all the way to 5 but that would be a great pick for KC. Actually, I have to admit I question all 5 of your top 5 selections and would like to hear the thoughts on those. I think there's very little chance Atlanta doesn't take Ryan(even though I think he's crazy over-rated). I personally also think Dallas is gonna trade into that top 5 or 6 and get McFadden, but I think predicting trades when doing a mock draft is silly.

what makes you think Gholston jumps so high? #2 overall is a huge reach. I also can't imagine Long dropping all the way to 5 but that would be a great pick for KC. Actually, I have to admit I question all 5 of your top 5 selections and would like to hear the thoughts on those. I think there's very little chance Atlanta doesn't take Ryan(even though I think he's crazy over-rated). I personally also think Dallas is gonna trade into that top 5 or 6 and get McFadden, but I think predicting trades when doing a mock draft is silly.

I don't see that as high at all for the best pass rusher in the draft. He (Gholston) reminds me of Andre Carter of the Redskins.

I'd be shocked if DRC lasted past the Pats at 7. He's really a superstar type, and the Pats have a need there. I don't mind Harvey at 15, but he didn't look very good in the bowl game against UM. I don't like that he put on weight, he needs to trim down and be quick. One guy who I think won't get picked by the Lions for sure is Calais Campbell, who's too tall, and plays too high to get leverage. He's also inconsistant, and is overrated in my book.

I think Aqib is the best CB in the draft and he'll be a steal in the late teens if he falls that far.

Campbell is a real freak of nature who very surprisingly tested very poorly at the combine. I think from seeing how he performed shows he may have not put in the full effort in the weight room. When he gets to the NFL I think he's gonna surprise a whole lot of people though, when he gets into an NFL training program. Definitely had an off year and a poor combine though, so I'm not surprised he's falling. Both he and Phillips should have returned to school this year.

I don't see that as high at all for the best pass rusher in the draft. He (Gholston) reminds me of Andre Carter of the Redskins.
Well, technically, #2 is high for anyone...too high is the question, and I don't think Gholston, who prior to the combine wasn't considered even a top 10 pick by many(IIRC) is that worthy of such a high pick, particularly when the top 5 teams have far more pressing needs.

Not bad, this is the best that the simulation has produced thus far.

A couple thoughts...

1) I see that Mendenhall went with the 16th pick, I think it would serve well to have a RD 1 Mendenhall "player grab". I wasn't really expecting it to be necessary since I dont think Mendenhall could drop, but if he can in this simulation we should take him.

2) The OG in Rd 4 should be an OT prospect. Right now we have only 3 OTs planned to make the roster: Backus/Foster/Scott. But we have 5 OGs: Peterman/Mulitalo/Davis/Ramirez/Saipaia, plus Raiola. Also, we signed OG Corey Hulsey who is competing at depth and Ben Noll who is a decent raw prospect, so we have lots of camp fodder to compete.

3) I still prefer the RB in round 4 because of the depth there, and I see Curtis Lofton ILB was the next pick in Rd 2 as an example.

4) Would still like to see a player grab function for those top 3 FBs that are also offensive weapons: Schmitt/Hester/Hillis

With the way the players went in this draft, I would have gone:

1) RB Rashard Mendenhall

2) ILB Curtis Lofton

3) DE Chris Ellis

3) OLB Shawn Crable

4) OT Tony Hills

5) QB Colt Brennan*

6) FB Jacob Hester

7) CB Tryon or Zenon, but since the computer had Fontenot higher, can go with him, but I wasn't sure of the list of undrafted players to also choose from.

*For the 5th round there are lots of choices I would also be fine with, RB Tashard Choice is great value even though we have Mendenall. TE Martin Rucker, KR Dexter Jackson. In the end I went with Brennan since Marinelli won't keep Orlovsky and well you know how I feel about Jon Kitna.

TSE, do you know the Lions signed Gaines to be their FB this year? I don't think they'll be drafting one. They should be able to find a blocking TE that they can convert (that seems to be the trend, to bigger FB's) to FB, and stash on the practice squad. The Lions need to draft a returner, whether that's a WR or DB. I'd love to see the Lions draft Dexter Jackson, who's probably the only person who could catch Hester.

TSE, do you know the Lions signed Gaines to be their FB this year? I don't think they'll be drafting one. They should be able to find a blocking TE that they can convert (that seems to be the trend, to bigger FB's) to FB, and stash on the practice squad. The Lions need to draft a returner, whether that's a WR or DB. I'd love to see the Lions draft Dexter Jackson, who's probably the only person who could catch Hester.

Gaines can play FB or TE. He can pass catch and block as a TE, so we could use him as a versatile utility man. Hester can also serve as a RB to spell Mendenhall, and also allows us to consider trading Kevin Jones for another pick. The combo of Hester and Gaines gives us some really strong depth and versatility at the RB/FB/TE positions. Also we could trade Casey Fitszimmons for a draft pick package with Kevin Jones if we want. KR is very tempting, not sure who went undrafted there could be some return guys in that group too.

Gaines can play FB or TE. He can pass catch and block as a TE, so we could use him as a versatile utility man. Hester can also serve as a RB to spell Mendenhall, and also allows us to consider trading Kevin Jones for another pick. The combo of Hester and Gaines gives us some really strong depth and versatility at the RB/FB/TE positions. Also we could trade Casey Fitszimmons for a draft pick package with Kevin Jones if we want. KR is very tempting, not sure who went undrafted there could be some return guys in that group too.

Nobody's going to trade for Jones while he's recovering from an ACL. Hester isn't that good of a football player, period. He could go undrafted. Not easy to pick up good returners off the street. The fast ones get drafted.

Nobody's going to trade for Jones while he's recovering from an ACL. Hester isn't that good of a football player, period. He could go undrafted. Not easy to pick up good returners off the street. The fast ones get drafted.

Well FB Peyton Hillis I think was on the board at that time, he is about equal on my FB rankings. Hillis is #1 on many people's boards, such as our buddy at NFL Draft Countdown. Hester is a great football player, he's all heart and soul and effort, and he is fantastic in short yardage. I watched a lot of LSU games, and this guy is money in 3rd or 4th and short and goaline. Very productive as a HB as well.

And somebody will give us something for KJ, if we can package another player to get a meaningful pick, then it's an option, not a must. Just something I'm keeping in mind on draft day. We can in essence say after the 3rd round, hey everybody, just think of KJ as another RB on the board, we'll take the first pick that somebody wants to spend to select him.

I can see the Lions drafting a TE before I can see them draft a FB. I don't know how many of these FB types will play in the NFL, if any. There's a chance none will get drafted.

I can see the Lions drafting a TE before I can see them draft a FB. I don't know how many of these FB types will play in the NFL, if any. There's a chance none will get drafted.

Hillis / Schmitt / Hester is a good crop of FB. All 3 of them can be offensive threats in addition to being able to play FB. This is one nice set of FBs in the draft. All of them will get picked. You may even see as many as 2 of them go in the 4th round, or all 3 gone by the end of the 5th.

Hillis had a 5.7 YPC with 44 receptions. He didnt run the ball much, he was more of a traditional FB with heavy pass receptions.

Schmitt had a similar YPC, and very few receptions. He was more of a traditional FB because of the dynamic threats on offense of WV. But he can be a running option.

Hester had the most runs, 4.9 YPC, although his numbers aren't mind boggling because a glut of his chances were short yardage objectives.

Of the 3, Hillis is FB/pass catcher

Schmitt is FB, potential for runner

Hester is RB/FB hybrid

So you have an interesting set of FBs, with one strong at receiving, one strong for running, and one more traditional FB with potential for running. Hillis is the best well rounded player, thus understandable why a lot of scouts have him #1, Schmitt is the sexiest wild card, and Hester is just a flat out blue-collar footballer. I am hoping one of these 3 is a Lion, don't necessarily care which one. If i had to pick, I'd coin flip on Hillis/Schmitt as the top choice.

Hillis / Schmitt / Hester is a good crop of FB. All 3 of them can be offensive threats in addition to being able to play FB. This is one nice set of FBs in the draft. All of them will get picked. You may even see as many as 2 of them go in the 4th round, or all 3 gone by the end of the 5th.

Hillis had a 5.7 YPC with 44 receptions. He didn't run the ball much, he was more of a traditional FB with heavy pass receptions.

Schmitt had a similar YPC, and very few receptions. He was more of a traditional FB because of the dynamic threats on offense of WV. But he can be a running option.

Hester had the most runs, 4.9 YPC, although his numbers aren't mind boggling because a glut of his chances were short yardage objectives.

Of the 3, Hillis is FB/pass catcher

Schmitt is FB, potential for runner

Hester is RB/FB hybrid

So you have an interesting set of FBs, with one strong at receiving, one strong for running, and one more traditional FB with potential for running. Hillis is the best well rounded player, thus understandable why a lot of scouts have him #1, Schmitt is the sexiest wild card, and Hester is just a flat out blue-collar footballer. I am hoping one of these 3 is a Lion, don't necessarily care which one. If i had to pick, I'd coin flip on Hillis/Schmitt as the top choice.

The role of the fullback in the league has once again morphed. 10 years ago both Hillis and Schmitt would've been picked in the top 100 picks of the draft. The versatile FB with decent speed for the size and good hands is nearly a thing of the past . The vast majority of NFL teams want their FB to do nothing but be a blocker. On average, they barely get any touches these days and that's even includes the old fullback staples of short yardage and goalline. The latest schemes have really dummied up this position. As odd as it sounds, the added talent of all 3 of these guys may actually hurt their draft stock.

TSE, do you know the Lions signed Gaines to be their FB this year?

Just curious if anyone other than Tom K reported this Gaines playing FB news yet? I'm still not at the level where I automatically trust him and always like to have someone else to coorborate any news from the Killer.

Just curious if anyone other than Tom K reported this Gaines playing FB news yet? I'm still not at the level where I automatically trust him and always like to have someone else to coorborate any news from the Killer.

I don't put any stock into anything he says. He has proven time and time again to be very illogical with his opinions. He still gets very good inside information pertaining to the team, so I just try to be sure to make a distinction between what is factual news and what is his opinion.

In terms of Gaines, it's pretty irrelevant whether that is his opinion or if that is something Marinelli actually said to him. Because today, Marinelli may want Gaines as a FB, but if the draft falls to where we can pick up a great FB then he can just change his mind. Coaches set things all the time in advance of what they expect to be their plans, but plans can change overnight in this business depending upon future personnel opportunities that aren't present today.

i.e. Jon Kitna is currently Marinelli's starter today, but if CLE wants to trade us Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson tomorrow for a bag of potato chips, then he might go in a different direction.