Sign in to follow this  
Big Toe

Erie Rotation?

Usually I've got a tough time figuring out who they're going to leave out of a rotation, but not this time. I figure Gerbe and French are locks. Christiansen's in too. Nickerson skipping Lakeland maybe? Castro? Sendy? I'd rather see Wise return to starting than either of the other two. Or even Rainwater, if his conditioning allows it.

Any thoughts?

I talked with Gerbe at yesterday's game and he said that he tought he would be in Lakeland. I don't know if he was being modest or not though. Did he have a rough time in AFL?

Wow. I figured he'd be there because they didn't have many candidates, plus he did see a little time there last year. Gerbe would help Lakeland have a pretty nice rotation, potentially.

Anyways, I guess that shows what I know. (Or else maybe what Gerbe knows.)

And thanks for the info. Kind of amazing that I could post this and someone would've talked to the guy in question about it the day before.

I've got Erie's rotation as:

Eddie Bonine

Danny Christensen

Luke French

Ben Fritz

Andrew Kown

I guess if Christensen is hurt, Connolly would go in there as I don't have a place for him right now.

Had to look up Fritz...must've missed the signing. He looks pretty bad! I had figured Bonine would end up in Toledo...if he's there it's a better rotation for it.

I've got Toledo's rotation as:

Virgil Vasquez

Jordan Tata

Macay McBride

Chris Lambert

Armando Galarraga

I guess if one of those guys goes down, Bonine could be up, but as of now there's no room.

Thought I remembered at the time of the trade that the Tigers viewed Galarraga as a reliever. Not sure about that though. Agree on the first four though.

Had to look up Fritz...must've missed the signing. He looks pretty bad!

He got picked up in the AA portion of the Rule V draft out of Oakland. A first rounder in the "Moneyball draft," he had a mid-90s fastball (I think) before he got hit with TJ surgery. Had a pretty mediocre season in Venezuela this winter...Looks like he was again plagued by control problems. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a stater or in the bullpen.

-Tony

Right now I'm projecting Erie's rotation as....French, Connolly, Kown, Bonine, and Johnson

Not good..Is it fair to say Bonnine is the only real prospect..This rotation speaks to the current depth and quality of our system..

Not good..Is it fair to say Bonnine is the only real prospect..This rotation speaks to the current depth and quality of our system..

I like French more than Bonine.

I've got Toledo's rotation as:

Virgil Vasquez

Jordan Tata

Macay McBride

Chris Lambert

Armando Galarraga

I guess if one of those guys goes down, Bonine could be up, but as of now there's no room.

Isn't McBride seen as a reliever by the organization? I see from his minor league stats that he made some spot starts the last few years in the minors with the Braves, but I thought the Tigers had him pegged as a reliever.

I like French more than Bonine.

I absolutely agree.

I absolutely agree.

It's a beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing..Eddie won 14 at Erie last year..French..struggled at Lakeland..I'm hopin French gets the magic back this year..there is some upside there..

French is more than five years younger, struck out more guys last year, and had a God-awful team behind him offensively and defensively for most of the year. If you are judging them based on W-L records, you are going to have a very distorted view of their career potential.

French is more than five years younger, struck out more guys last year, and had a God-awful team behind him offensively and defensively for most of the year.

Didn't realize how bad it really was...French was the runaway Detroit Tigers minor league leader in unearned runs, with a gaudy 27. The next highest was something like half that. I imagine that has to mess with you after awhile. Other than that, and the hits (which may be related to the defense), French's 2007 looked almost identical to his 2006. He a youngish, big lefty that's had a decent track record among raters (before his '07, Sickels seemed to like him). From what I've read, his stuff isn't particularly great (when drafted I think he topped out at 89 - but that's probably changed). I'd have him as a C/C+ prospect that's probably in the 25-30 realm of the system. The rest of the rotation looks like traditional upper level filler.

-Tony