Sign in to follow this  
TigersFan81371

...behind the plate for the Tigers?!?

I thought this was odd. First time I've seen Raburn mentioned in conjunction with catching.

Leyland said Ryan Raburn will play "all over" the field during the exhibition season -- including catcher. Raburn doesn't have a catcher's glove of his own but said Saturday that he plans to ask Brandon Inge if he can borrow one.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080224/SPORTS02/802240674/1050

Now, from the 'out of left field' department (both literally and figuratively), here's a weird hypothetical for discussion by y'all who might have a better idea about it than I...

IF, Inge is a Tiger this year causing a logjam on the bench and necessitating somebody to go to the minors, Raburn is a distinct possibility to be this guy due to his remaining option.

MIGHT Raburn, in AAA begin catching on a more everday or part-time basis, with the intention of becoming the elusive Catcher Of The Future?

Raburn is obviously not a candidate to be the 2nd catcher on the major league club- he's working out there as a 3rd option. If Wilson can't go, then Inge is the 2nd, or some slouch like Sardhina or St.Pierre. If Raburn shows any type of natural aptitude towards catching, would the organization sacrifice having him on the big league club this year in order to create the heir-apparent behind the plate from their own system? Or is he slated rigidly in either the '2nd baseman of the future' or 'corner outfielder of the future' slot?

The catching situation at AAA is nothing to write home about, so I don't think the organization would suffer at all by shoe-horning him in there.

Anyway- just a thought to throw out to the collective wisdom of the group for a rousing discussion... or not.

Good question. How often do you successfully switch someone to catching, within a year's time? I can recall some past attempts (Phil Nevin, etc.) that were dismal failures, but anything is possible I suppose.

Now, from the 'out of left field' department (both literally and figuratively), here's a weird hypothetical for discussion by y'all who might have a better idea about it than I...

IF, Inge is a Tiger this year causing a logjam on the bench and necessitating somebody to go to the minors, Raburn is a distinct possibility to be this guy due to his remaining option.

MIGHT Raburn, in AAA begin catching on a more everday or part-time basis, with the intention of becoming the elusive Catcher Of The Future?

Raburn is obviously not a candidate to be the 2nd catcher on the major league club- he's working out there as a 3rd option. If Wilson can't go, then Inge is the 2nd, or some slouch like Sardhina or St.Pierre. If Raburn shows any type of natural aptitude towards catching, would the organization sacrifice having him on the big league club this year in order to create the heir-apparent behind the plate from their own system? Or is he slated rigidly in either the '2nd baseman of the future' or 'corner outfielder of the future' slot?

The catching situation at AAA is nothing to write home about, so I don't think the organization would suffer at all by shoe-horning him in there.

Anyway- just a thought to throw out to the collective wisdom of the group for a rousing discussion... or not.

Looks like that is what may happen if we trade Inge to the Dodgers and Wilson can't go.