Hitstick

Trade Deadline Thread

I expect and want Holland to avoid the big names (Hossa, Jokinen, Fedorov, etc). The cost is too high for these guys.

I think we're set on D. Meech, Ericsson, and Quincey have shown we have the depth neccesary if there are injuries. I personally think Ericsson should start for us when everyone comes back, and Lebda should go to the bench.

As for forwards. Two guys I really like if the price is right is Vrbata (Phoenix) or Peca (Columbus). Two playoff veterans that would add grit and scoring, exactly what we need for the playoffs.

cant wait until tomorrow just to end the speculation

http://www.usatoday.com/community/profile.htm?UID=7f199720956b03f0&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a7f199720956b03f0Post%3ad73e85e7-d53a-4988-aa49-5243e8b1fa98

With 30 hours to go before the trade deadline, Brad Richards remains the most talked-about name in the NHL trade market and the Atlanta Thrashers now might not decide where to trade Marian Hossa until Tuesday.

Originally, the Thrashers were aiming to make the decision Monday, but the expectation is there will now be increased interest in Hossa because Mats Sundin is staying in Toronto.

As of 11 a.m. Monday, the Ottawa Senators, Montreal Canadiens and the Detroit Red Wings, in this order, are the teams that I believe have the best chance of acquiring Hossa, but the favorites could be knocked off quickly if some team makes an offer that wows general manager Don Waddell off his feet.

I expect and want Holland to avoid the big names (Hossa, Jokinen, Fedorov, etc). The cost is too high for these guys.

I think we're set on D. Meech, Ericsson, and Quincey have shown we have the depth neccesary if there are injuries. I personally think Ericsson should start for us when everyone comes back, and Lebda should go to the bench.

As for forwards. Two guys I really like if the price is right is Vrbata (Phoenix) or Peca (Columbus). Two playoff veterans that would add grit and scoring, exactly what we need for the playoffs.

I would much rather have lebda play than lilja.

Is he only being called Awful because Lidstrom has one more point?

No, he is being called awful because he is. He is an overrated, finesse-type player with limited playoff experience and a cowardly style. He ducks hits, stays out of the corners and waits for people to pass him the puck. He is the type of player that teams give up too much for based solely on their name and not what the player would actually bring to the table.

I don't want Hossa on the Wings and I hope Ken Holland doesn't jump at adding a big name *cough*Todd Bertuzzi*cough*.

and now Babcock says Filppula isnt going anywhere

it would be hard to get Hossa with out Filps in the trade, so that may be the end of that

No, he is being called awful because he is. He is an overrated, finesse-type player with limited playoff experience and a cowardly style. He ducks hits, stays out of the corners and waits for people to pass him the puck. He is the type of player that teams give up too much for based solely on their name and not what the player would actually bring to the table.

I don't want Hossa on the Wings and I hope Ken Holland doesn't jump at adding a big name *cough*Todd Bertuzzi*cough*.

How is a finesse player who ducks hits a bad thing? If anything I'd be happy a guy does that, especially a guy with Hossa's skill level. The last thing you want is a guy like Hossa or if you think about our team, like Datsyuk or Zetterberg, getting crushed and knocked around all the time, and then having an injury that would keep them out for an extended period of time.

As far as going after a big name like Bertuzzi.....what'd we even lose? Shawn Matthias & conditional draft picks, but since Bertuzzi didn't re-sign with us, I think Matthias was the only thing we lost. Wow, horrible trade huh?

I'm pretty sure Ken Holland knows what he's doing, and he's shown that year after year. Hossa isn't having as good of a year as he did his first two seasons with the Thrashers, but that doesn't mean he's awful. Plus limited playoff experience should have nothing to do with us going after him. Maybe if he was on teams that went deep into the playoffs every year we could talk about that, but the only time he's played in double digit games in the playoffs, he's recorded double digit points.

So I don't really get why, but you seem to have something against Hossa. I can understand not wanting to give the farm up for the guy, but calling him awful just makes you sound dumb, because it's pretty obvious he's not....

According to ESPN, Blake is now willing to waive his no trade clause, but I can't read it because its insider only.

According to ESPN, Blake is now willing to waive his no trade clause, but I can't read it because its insider only.

rumors are he waives it for only San Jose or Colorado

rumors are he waives it for only San Jose or Colorado

Heh. Colorado... I will laugh so hard if the Avs get Blake Foresberg back and still miss the playoffs. If Blake does go back, dos that mean we can call them "the Dives" again?

Heh. Colorado... I will laugh so hard if the Avs get Blake Foresberg back and still miss the playoffs. If Blake does go back, dos that mean we can call them "the Dives" again?

When did we stop calling them the Dives? Did I miss that memo?

Holland was on trade deadline show

Will you team make any big or small moves?

Holland - "More likely small move than a big one"

No to Hossa. 50/50 chance he'll be Robert Lang in a couple of years. Rather add depth now or in the summer with much lower priced forwards with good size that can create scoring chances. Like young Philly centre Jeff Carter for example, who's on the block but only a restricted free agent this summer - that's who Canucks fans are clamoring for, with good reason, instead of someone like Brad Richards who they were in the running for.

Wow. McGuire really hates the Detroit Red Wings. He bashes them any chance he gets, and it there is a 50/50 opinion, he always takes the opportunity to paint Detroit in the darkest light possible.

He said something earlier about being "really worried about the Detroit Red Wings", and Milbury slapped him down with "Let me remind you that those Red Wings are missing their top four blue-liners and still have a five game lead on the entire league." There was no response.. lol.

Foote to Avs, talks of Avs trying to get Blake as well. Getting their old players back, including signing Forsberg last night.

Foote to Avs, talks of Avs trying to get Blake as well. Getting their old players back, including signing Forsberg last night.

Haha, wow. Did someone hypnotise the Avs into thinking it was 2001?

More and more I want Nashville to be Detroit's 1st round opponent. The Avs also will have Sakic, Stastny and Ryan Smith returning from injuries soon.

Wow, the Habs are only a few points out of 1st in the conference and they unload Christobal Huet for a draft pick, turning the goalie keys over to 20-year old Carey Price?!