hueytaxi

Spring Training 2008 in photos and thoughts

A lot of people think Skelton is too small to be a catcher. Maybe they are right but I've never really understood why a catcher needs to be big. Other than blocking the plate on close plays (which really doesn't happen that often), I don't see why size is that important for a catcher. I actually like the idea of a wiry mobile catcher behind the plate.

I'm aware of all the comments about him being too small. This is just the first picture I've seen of the guy. I thought he was white before I saw the picture. :ponder:

I'm with you on this one - why should a catcher be a big guy? Then again, there are tons of preconceived notions about build in baseball. Guys like Lincecum drop down in the draft because of them, but tell his 98 mph heat that he's too small to pitch effectively.

So yes, I agree. If his performance stays where it was last year in the high minors, there is no reason he shouldn't be very seriously considered as our catcher of the future.

I need to get out there, but I think if I do, all the players will be in the club house and I will miss everything

Roger,

what is a good time to show up? I have to work until 10:30 in the morning..I really can't get out there until 1 or so..is it worth coming over?

The only thing I can think of is the thought that bigger guys will hold up to the rigors of catching better, but then you have a guy like Joe Mauer who's 'too big' to be a catcher...

Do bigger players really hold up better? I've heard that a lot but I'm not convinced it is true. Strength is important but size does not always indicate strength. I think a smaller wiry catcher might have a lot of stamina because he doesn't have to carry so much weight on his knees. I'm just guessing though. I'd like to hear what some of our scouts think about this issue.

Most of the Detroit staff will be headed for the parking lot by then with the minors possibly on the field. I really think the minors will mostly take the day off. 1 would be late to catch many players.

Viewing the Detnews and Freep online galleries, I've seen Deadshot and one of our lurkers. I think I saw ESPEN1978 the otherday and LKLDTigers.. Michigan is already well represented. No one believes I'm local due to my lack of regional accent.

Ground crew told me they will have a normal workout tomorrow. Undecided if I'm going yet.

Cool I might just make it out there tomorrow.

A lot of people think Skelton is too small to be a catcher. Maybe they are right but I've never really understood why a catcher needs to be big. Other than blocking the plate on close plays (which really doesn't happen that often), I don't see why size is that important for a catcher. I actually like the idea of a wiry mobile catcher behind the plate.
Brad Ausmus is not a big guy, and IIRC Mike Heath wasn't that big of a fella either. There have been others (Manny Sanguillen, etc).

Brad Ausmus is not a big guy, and IIRC Mike Heath wasn't that big of a fella either. There have been others (Manny Sanguillen, etc).

Good point on Ausmus. I was trying to think of examples. Hell, Inge isn't a big guy, and we're looking at him as our back up.

Wockenfuss wasn't huge, was he?

I remember when I met Skelton at at Host Family mixer. I asked him if he was a shortstop. He said he was a catcher and I said he was small to be a catcher. He stated he hears that alot.

I remember him from GCL, he is HUGE by comparison!

Edit: And he did get the nod for ST over Mr. Graham........?

Good point on Ausmus. I was trying to think of examples. Hell, Inge isn't a big guy, and we're looking at him as our back up.

Wockenfuss wasn't huge, was he?

Nope, he went about 180-190 from my recollection.

Johnny B. played some C, some OF, some 1B. His appearances at third were very rare. He DH'd a lot since he had the foot speed of a fire hydrant, but hit lefties pretty well.

Johnny B. played some C, some OF, some 1B. His appearances at third were very rare. He DH'd a lot since he had the foot speed of a fire hydrant, but hit lefties pretty well.

Thanks for the knowledge, Yoop.

Here's a couple of photos for today suprising alot of people here today and an unbelievable event Andy VanSlyke was actually signing today.

100_2214.jpg

Willis and Verlander

100_2234.jpg

DD on his way out to see work outs

100_2217.jpg

Wilson, Pudge, & Inge

Verlander and Willis seem to be walking together in a lot of these pictures. That's a good sign I think, but where is Bondo? If those three combine for 600 innings and 50 wins this year, we'll be in good shape.

Verlander and Willis seem to be walking together in a lot of these pictures. That's a good sign I think, but where is Bondo? If those three combine for 600 innings and 50 wins this year, we'll be in good shape.

630 innings and 54 wins... but who's counting?!?! :grin:

Willis looks pretty thick in the trunk area there... sort of like Bondo... good for really generating some power... and hopefully, those innings, wins, and... long-term health.

Bondo has been walking out with Rogers for the most part this spring.

Dave has a little Jar Jar Binks in his walk.

Not only that but what the heck is he wearing on his feet? They seem to be a really funky colored pair of loafers. I hope that he would not wear "crocs" with that attire (note: crocs should never be worn by any man.....any time:cheeky: ).