hueytaxi

Spring Training 2008 in photos and thoughts

Orlando back, good news on Clete and Casey and still I am a little depressed as so many Spring friends have returned this week. I hung out much later than usual with Mudman savoring our time with the entire franchise. The departure of so many of our Tigers is inevitable, but marks a change in my schedule. No early morning trips to Tigertown, hot dogs for dinner 3 days a week and planning your schedule around home games. I can't wait!

Clete Thomas entered Spring Training Camp with a rare smile on his face. He left with a larger one.

What a wonderful morning to watch the last meeting of our AA/AAA Detroit Tigers facing the Cleveland Indians. Warm and Bright Sun as our boys took the fields a little late. With thoughts of their next adventure deep in their heads, they still concentrated on their game as Ezell tended his flock with nothing missing his eyes. A few players may have been out of place today, but the rosters are almost locked for destinations. For Josh Rainwater fans, he has been told he will pitch in Erie. Casey Fien believes he will join Josh, yet relieved for Toledo today. A surprise was Cale Iorg at SS for AAA today. Of course a highlight was the Jerry Lewis smile of Jeff Frazier returning to the Tigers Line up and he made his presence known with the AA club by a 2 run Home Run.

Ryan Roberson for AA

2371779668_f41ce3deda.jpg

Max St. Pierre said he could have gone to Toledo to watch or play in Erie...

2370939107_2058b76b70.jpg

Eddie Bonine for AAA

2370940903_fafb5459a9.jpg

Does he always throw the knuckleball?????

2370939761_e1248395a2.jpg

Some more of Eddie Bonine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hueytaxi/sets/72157604302689237/

Some of the AA Dugout waiting their turn

2370939401_d5cb938d22.jpg

Jeff Frazier wasn't smiling as he ripped a hard shot to drive in himself and a runner.

2371777538_45a91576ab.jpg

Casey Fien was in strong contention for that elusive roster spot and i am very proud of my AAT as are two of our Morons. I'm told he will play in Erie, but he pitched today for Toledo.

2370940027_80ebc1e3fb.jpg

More of Casey Fien: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hueytaxi/sets/72157604298334716/

My 2007 AAT Matt Rusch pitching for Toledo

2371779360_c5a75c3d60.jpg

More of Matt Rusch: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hueytaxi/sets/72157604302971979/

The final Line up cards:

AA

2370942025_5df994f49e.jpg

And AAA

2370942569_634a80d39e.jpg

And it was over. As an insult for the Indians players, no one told the bus driver it would only be a 7 inning game (normal for a last game in ST or IL). I don't know when the bus returned for them. We will still have morning workouts for the Extended Spring Training and possible some afternoon games later prior to their June seasons. The LFT will begin afternoon workouts prior to their games. It is GAME ON! I'll be here to share as always.

For our bloggers that so nicely ask for permission to use anything I capture and post for you, you already have my thanks for sharing with your readers.

It was a great last day. Seeing the guys finally getting their assigments and going forward. Several people asked us what the score was or what inning it was. Jo and I looked at them and said who cared. We knew it was 2-2 and about the fourth inning but today wasn't about scoring but scoring up positions and people. I talked to several players and they were healthy and ready for the season. The injured ones are working at getting ready within the month hopefullly. Some wondered where I had been. Had to tell them I have a NATZI of a new boss and she could care less about giving people their scheduled vaction times. Too bad she won't read this.

I missed being out there with you guys the last few days. Here is to a successful season for the Tigers and all of their farm teams.

I hate to sign off on this thread, but it is time for us to move on to our own teams and establish new threads. I thank all of the contributers to "thoughts" and " photos" for these are what this thread was about . Not to showcase our cameras or our abilities. I got into this when I shot a pic of Justin Verlander in Winter Haven with a simple early digital and he wanted a copy. The photo threads should be for every level of participation. Just sharing your view of the game is important. That can be with a camera or a story of what happened at the game. Look at the numbers of this thread. I've tracked it daily throughout ST from inception and mark the views at new post time in my TV guide daily. Some of the attendance is amazing. I, as well as many of you, look forward to our Team's Opening Day. Still one expression covers it all: "Go Tigers"!

That's because you get pictures that others can't get. You do a great job for others that can't be here or others that are here and can't because they are working. Love you for being able to do this.

I can't believe March is over!!! it seems like last week that we were planning on which games we would attend.. vacations, road trips, and calling in sick! time to close out the thread..some great pics!

Roger---

Thank you for a wonderful spring training 2008

It would NOT be nearly as good without your daily contributions. The scorecard photos continue to be priceless for those of us looking at the "inside" details of those playing on the field.

THANK YOU,

THANK YOU,

THANK YOU!

Was a fun spring training & thanks to gracious host the DeWitt's ...your love foe the guys & for the game is deeply appreciated by friends, family & fans...we know there is someone there to take over caring for our guys.....looking forward to next year, but for nor, Thanks from the bottom of our heart, you two are AWESOME friends....now PLAY BALL!!!

I wasn't coming back to this thread, but I realized something was not said. My deepest thanks to all of our young men who give us their Spring as they compete for their Future. Most take the time to make a few friends along their journey and some of us are blessed to be included in that short list. My thanks to the families who have reached out to me as they support their son, or loved one. My thanks to the hundreds of fans who I have shared Spring moments with this year and in years past. And my thanks to Glenn Ezell and the magnificent staff around the Minor League Franchises. You have welcomed me and allowed me to share times that few are can know.

And how can I finish this thread without thanking Scott for allowing me to take up so much space on MTS. He has helped create the monster in me and I like it. The Morons are family and always welcome to share my space!

See you in another thread my friends.

Thank you for all of your information and pics in this thread Huey. Can't wait to hear how the Lakeland season is going.

Through the grapevine I've learned of a couple players who will be starting out at EST... one of which came as a bit of a surprise to me.