hueytaxi

Spring Training 2008 in photos and thoughts

I don't want to hog the title, so added the photo part. I hope many locals and visitors will contribute their photos and experiences, good or bad, between now and Opening Day. Feel free to link the Freep/DetNews like we did last year.

no brandon inge sightings yet?

Nope. He's supposed to have a meeting with Leyland and the media today though. I expect they've told him to not pout this time. We'll see though.

Is that Porcello with Bobby Seay?

Who is that with Grilli?

Wow, James Skelton is a little guy. Eat some steaks and come start for us soon.

You're right on Porcello, the earlier post was correct on Dontrelle and I believe that is Byrdyk with Grilli

Who is that with Grilli?

Tim Byrdak, I believe....spectacle are a giveaway. Man it looks great down there, wish I was coming down for a bit.....maybe next year to see the reigning WS champs:classic:

hey guys im new here. Im very close to buying 2 tigers phillies tix on stub hub (final preseason game @ lakeland) I was looking at all of the photos posted and was wondering whether that was a game day or not. Whats my best bet for player interaction?

by the way, 2 choices 1st row above tiger dugout or 1st row along right field.... initially i thought dugout without a doubt but stub hub's details says the 1st row outfield because both teams walk right by you on the way to and from field (apparently good for autographs)

thanks

brent

Saturday; another beautiful Tiger Day of Excitement!

I'll post the short version here and if you just have to see more, the link will be at the bottom.

My dear friend, Mike Rojas

2269746698_43273f0672.jpg

Londell Taylor, Craig Maddox and Richard Zumaya

2268956189_9018f9a194.jpg

A rare almost smile from Clete Thomas

2269745984_2b1a8a9cd1.jpg

Kenny Rogers

2268956023_4c3dd9dbd6.jpg

Tata, Willis and Verlander

2269745130_027f26b318.jpg

2269745460_b53a48879d.jpg

Rodriguez and his son

2268957129_b3fdae34af.jpg

Brandon Inge returns to his fans

2268955873_daeb509a94.jpg

Max St. Pierre returns to the tigers

2269747574_6f3ea2dcc6.jpg

This set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hueytaxi/sets/72157603919985818/

Long version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hueytaxi/sets/72157603920081826/

...Wow, James Skelton is a little guy. Eat some steaks and come start for us soon.

And Joe Bowen & Dusty Ryan look like the big guys in that group of catchers...

Hopin' for a breakout season from Joe...

Wow, James Skelton is a little guy. Eat some steaks and come start for us soon.

A lot of people think Skelton is too small to be a catcher. Maybe they are right but I've never really understood why a catcher needs to be big. Other than blocking the plate on close plays (which really doesn't happen that often), I don't see why size is that important for a catcher. I actually like the idea of a wiry mobile catcher behind the plate.

Another note to Roger:

I just bought a couple packages of Hebrew Natl's.... your post the other day was driving me crazy!

And for all you Michiganites, I just ordered 10 pounds of Koegal Vienna's, you bring the beer, we'll have a party!

A lot of people think Skelton is too small to be a catcher. Maybe they are right but I've never really understood why a catcher needs to be big. Other than blocking the plate on close plays (which really doesn't happen that often), I don't see why size is that important for a catcher. I actually like the idea of a wiry mobile catcher behind the plate.

The only thing I can think of is the thought that bigger guys will hold up to the rigors of catching better, but then you have a guy like Joe Mauer who's 'too big' to be a catcher...