Edman

Microline

Cruzer

Apabruce

Tiger337

sbCaptain

84Lives

RetiredSportsFan

Here are the final rankings, with only the top 30 shown.

1	Rick Porcello
2 Jeff Larish
3 Mike Hollimon
4 Danny Worth
5 James Skelton
6 Yorman Bazardo
7 Charlie Furbush
8 Scott Sizemore
9 Diek Scram
10 Casey Crosby
11 Matt Joyce
12 Brandon Hamilton
13 Virgil Vasquez
14 Cale Iorg
15 Francisco Cruceta
16 Jordan Tata
17 Clete Thomas
18 Alexis Espinoza
19 Duane Below
20 Brett Jensen
21 Noah Krol
22 Brent Clevlen
23 Wilkin Ramirez
24 Mike Hernandez
25 Jonah Nickerson
26 Lester Oliveros
27 Luke Putkonen
28 Justin Henry
29 Casey Fien
30 Kody Kaiser

I am leaving Michael Hernandez in the rankings, since the rosters were locked at the beginning of January.

Luke French was 31st, if you want to bump everybody up. Carlson finished in a massive tied for 75th, among players who only cracked one honorable mention and didn't make anyone's list. Frankly, that's about where he belongs.

Cool. Glad to see my AAT make the Top 30. I was leafing through an issue of Baseball America at Barnes & Noble today and saw a nice write-up on him, but when I went to find it on BA's website, I noticed that I had to be a subscriber to access it online. Being low on dough, that's not a possibility right now, but I thought it was cool that you can get a free sample issue.

Good job Edman and voters.

It's going to be fascinating to compare this year's results to next year's. I think we can always expect a lot of volatility in the spots from about #5 on down - some guys will have a really good year, others will have a really bad one. With the makeup of the system now there aren't too many pure talents after Porcello, so actual performance is going to weigh heavily on voters' minds. I wonder if it will be possible for this year's top pick to crack next year's top 5 if he doesn't play after the draft, considering where we're drafting from? I guess that will depend upon the performances of the people that we already have.

Pretty likely, I imagine; given the Tigers recent trend of taking the best player available. This looks like a decent class coming in.

What, no Londell Taylor?

Speaking for myself, he was just an unknown. I, as did many others, ranked high draft choices who were also unkonwns, like Crosby and Hamilton, but Londell was drafted as an athelete. Whether he proves to be a baseball player is yet to be seen. I've got my fingers crossed.

Speaking for myself, he was just an unknown. I, as did many others, ranked high draft choices who were also unkonwns, like Crosby and Hamilton, but Londell was drafted as an athelete. Whether he proves to be a baseball player is yet to be seen. I've got my fingers crossed.

I have to give my new AAT a chance to get some positive posts!

In light of the series done this week by Kevin Goldstein at BP, I wanted to update this list and show which direction some of these players have gone. Green means way up; light green means partially up; Black means staying put; orange means slight decline; red means massive decline. Since I lost my own top 30, I was going to do it for that, but I'll do it for the massive list instead.

1	Rick Porcello
2 Jeff Larish
3 Mike Hollimon
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]4 Danny Worth[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]5 James Skelton[/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]6 Yorman Bazardo[/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]7 Charlie Furbush[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]8 Scott Sizemore[/COLOR]
[COLOR="darkorange"]9 Diek Scram[/COLOR]
10 Casey Crosby
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]11 Matt Joyce[/COLOR]
12 Brandon Hamilton
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]13 Virgil Vasquez[/COLOR]
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]14 Cale Iorg[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]15 Francisco Cruceta[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]16 Jordan Tata[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Green"]17 Clete Thomas[/COLOR]
18 Alexis Espinoza
19 Duane Below
[COLOR="red"]20 Brett Jensen[/COLOR]
21 Noah Krol
[COLOR="Green"]22 Brent Clevlen[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Green"]23 Wilkin Ramirez[/COLOR]
[I][COLOR="Silver"]24 Mike Hernandez[/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]25 Jonah Nickerson[/COLOR]
26 Lester Oliveros
27 Luke Putkonen
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]28 Justin Henry[/COLOR]
29 Casey Fien
[COLOR="darkorange"]30 Kody Kaiser[/COLOR]

I didn't even have Clevlen in my top 30. It's really nice to be wrong in this way. I hope he keeps it up.

Thank you guys for this tribute to Brian! Brian was definitely hardcore about prospects and evaluation. If he wasn't doing work on his thesis, he was definitely researching Tigers prospects (plus others that caught his attention) and downloading stats and other stuff (trust me, I've seen it). Great job all!

Nice job guys, I definitely appreciate this kind of stuff being so far away. Following the progress of our minor leaguers can sometimes be pretty challenging but I take in what I can get with the help of folks like you. Take a bowtieru7.gif

Massive decline for Skelton, Ed? Is this injury related? The power numbers are certainly down, but that OBP is really impressive.

I had Skelton ranked #5 in my rankings, mainly because I liked what I saw when I saw him play in Oneonta and I believe in his ability. What he's done so far this season hasn't changed where I would rank him.

I've never seen him, and given his numbers I think a slight decline makes sense. A massive decline would if the current injury is extremely serious (I have no idea) or if there are major questions about his defense. Really interesting prospect from a stats perspective just because his numbers are so tilted.

Who is your top 5 now, Ed? And how high do you think Ramirez has pushed himself?

-Tony

I've never seen him, and given his numbers I think a slight decline makes sense. A massive decline would if the current injury is extremely serious (I have no idea) or if there are major questions about his defense. Really interesting prospect from a stats perspective just because his numbers are so tilted.

Who is your top 5 now, Ed? And how high do you think Ramirez has pushed himself?

-Tony

I think Skelton will be fine defensively if his body holds up. He's a good athlete back there and he has good footwork. Yoda said here that Skelton's injury is just a hand injury, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

If Furbush is red (no pun intended), why is Crosby black? Neither has pitched yet this year. I'm glad this thread was revived though. I too would like to see your updated list.

I think Skelton will be fine defensively if his body holds up. He's a good athlete back there and he has good footwork. Yoda said here that Skelton's injury is just a hand injury, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

That was quite a while ago. I don't know if that's all or if there's also another injury. I'll see what I can find out though.

If Furbush is red (no pun intended), why is Crosby black? Neither has pitched yet this year. I'm glad this thread was revived though. I too would like to see your updated list.

We already knew about the Crosby injury when doing the rankings.

I encourage others to color code this the same way. This is just one man's opinion.

As for Skelton, high OBP/low SLG in the minors is a recipe for disaster later on. Maybe he should be orange instead of red, but the fact that it took so long for an extra base hit was a pretty major red flag.

Massive decline for Skelton, Ed? Is this injury related? The power numbers are certainly down, but that OBP is really impressive.

I agree. From my non-expert perspective, the color-coded list is really well-done and helpful -- but the negative Skelton coding is an eyebrow raiser.

(Meanwhile, speaking of catchers, my ex-AAT Devin Thomas went deep last night -- look for him on this list next year!)

I agree with Ed - the lack of power (especially to that degree) is extremely bizarre and a huge red flag. It's easily one of the lowest in the league.

The thing with the OBP, however, is that it's absurdly high (.429). If he had the requisite number of at bats (which is certainly a telling issue), he'd be leading the Florida State League by 25 points. Given that he's also a catcher, and apparently solid defensively, I'd probably list him as a slight decline or maybe even staying put given how weak the system is. The injuries and slugging are a big concern.

Regardless, those are some truely wierd numbers.

-Tony