NotoriousCPC

Would you trade Ben Wallace?

The Dallas Mavericks have the best record in the NBA but the general consensus is that they are way too weak defensively to compete in the playoffs.

Ben Wallace is a one man defense so he could effectively establish a blistering defense while the Mavs keep their explosive offense.

Would you accept a trade of Ben Wallace to the Mavericks in exchange for Dirk Nowitzki?

I'm on record from past threads that I wouldn't trade Wallace for anyone. Maybe Kobe but that's about it. Wallace is simply awesome and I am a defensive guru so that shouldn't surprise anyone.

No, you do not trade Ben Wallace, not even for Shaq because Shaq is declining. The only way I would trade him is for unrealistic trade possibilities like Kobe Bryant. He is the heart and soul of this franchise and trading him for even the most talented player would set this organization back quite a bit. When you get a special player like him you just dont mess with that.

If Wallace is over age 30 I would trade him...He might have 6 or 7 good years left and would reap great profits. The Pistons are not spring chickens you know, but have many good draft picks and young players who will be stars.

It would have to be one heck of a package to trade Wallace. I'm thinking a younger NBA starter (top 60 player) and a couple first round draft picks would be the minimum. Even then, I wouldn't feel good about it. I like Big Ben and hope he stays a long time.

Holygoat,

I wouldn't trade Shaq for Wallace. That may make me wacked in the head but I think there's reason behind that thinking too. Motown Randy's explanation works well.

Another I'd think about is maybe Tim Duncan. I don't see many Spurs games but I can imagine he's a matchup nightmare for just about any team in the NBA. And he is pretty darn versatile in terms of who you want him to defend too.

All the other suspects people would hollar out like Garnett for example are darn great players themselves. However, what Wallace does for this team defensively is so darn important I just don't think I'd want to give that up. Finding someone who will sell out to play great defensive ball and excelling at it the way Wallace does is so unusual and it's so infectious. Like I said I could never see myself giving a player up like that once you have him. It may be the right or wrong move but he'd be untouchable in my book.

It would be tough to argue that a sign and trade with Garnett or Duncan wouldn't be worth it. As much as I love Ben, I'm thinking Dumars would have to pull the trigger on that one!

notorious.....I didnt see your 1st post. Yes I would trade Nowitzki for Wallace.

I heard Nowitski is 24 years old...if thats true there is no way Dallas would accept that trade. Nowitski is a better player than Ben sorry to say. There areny many but I would have to say Dirk is one.

The pistons would be so weak if they traded Ben for Dirk. Nowitski, Okur, Robinson, Rebraca as the front court depth chart? I dont think so. We would get slaughtered inside.

What if they had the opportunity to grab a defensive powerhouse with their lottery pick this year? Also, doesn't Nowitzki still average like 11 boards per game on the Mavericks fast paced offense?

NCPC, somebody has to grab those missed shots and Dirk is pretty tall. It doesnt surprise me he gets alot of rebounds, but he is not tough, gritty, defensive-minded player that I think every team needs at least one of. Also, name a player in the draft that is a defensive powerhouse or even close to Ben Wallace performance wise...

just curious...do you think the Pistons could have won without Dennis Rodman in 1989? Rodman was a skinny worm who couldnt block shots but he was very valuable. Wallace wasnt as good last year as he is now. It was by far his best year but he still failed to make the All Star team. I think he is hitting his best years now. Rodman had his best years with the Bulls once he bulked up.