Timberwolf

Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond

What do you Wings fans think of him?

I was incredibly bored listening to them the other night when the Wings play the Wild.

Daniels was so homerish all night as he was praying for the Wings to come back and tie it. He was so Hawk-like after Cleary tied it in overtime.

As for Redmond, he was whining about the refs all night based on that penalty to Meech in the first period against the Wild. He also whined about the trap. I was hoping he would just talk about the Cubs on the telecast.

It was like watching a White Sox game.

Are they that bad?

nope they are not bad at all, I think they know more about hockey and are more entertaining than almost any other local hockey announcers i have heard.

I love Mickey Redmond, he's a true hockey guy. He complains about the refs because the officiating in the new NHL is atrocious and it must be painful for an old time hockey player to watch an abomination of their game. I think they make an entertaining team.

and they are the RED WINGS announcers so at least in my opinion if they show some favoritism its not a big deal at all, red wings fans are watching them mostly and as long as it is not over the top(which i wouldnt call ken daniels that) it perfectly fine to me

I hear Redmond really says off the cuff stuff like Bert Blyleven on the Twins telecast so I wanted to pay attention. It would be nice to hear Redmond do baseball games. He is a huge baseball guy. He pimps up the Cubs often on the telecast.

I love Mickey Redmond, he's a true hockey guy. He complains about the refs because the officiating in the new NHL is atrocious and it must be painful for an old time hockey player to watch an abomination of their game. I think they make an entertaining team.

ya, mickey isnt much of a fan of the new rules

i agree with him most of the time when he complains, and to be fair he complains about a lot of penalties, even ones called on the other team

Funny you should bring this up.

I believe Mickey Redmond to be the "Ernie Harwell" of Red Wing Hockey. I love the guy. He's not homerish in any way. If you think he is, you ain't listen, son.

Ken ... he's bland, i guess. He reminds me of Josh Lewin. Can't hate him, but won't remember him in 30 years .. i guess.

You gotta love the Mick! When a fight starts to break out, he pretty much jumps out of his chair and does a play-by-play for it. He's one of the bigger reasons to watch the wings. Ken is alright. He has a good chemistry with Mickey, and he isn't awful...

Both Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond were groomed as broadcasters with Hockey Night in Canada so you know they're pretty good. I think Mickey is miles ahead of the rest of the field as the most colorful color man in the game today. There are a couple of HNIC color commentators that are better analysts, but Mickey is more entertaining and knows the game inside out. He should be a broadcaster Hall of Famer.

And as for the trap, Mickey is damn right about it. The Devils Stanley Cup win in 1995 that ushered in the trap era (not that a form of the trap hadn't been played in spots for 20 years before that) was one of the worst things to ever hit hockey. The Wild are really the last holdout from that era and that team is the biggest snore in the NHL today.

The absolute best thing about the Red Wings announcers:

They get excited when the opposing team scores. Not all the time, but most of the time, especially if its a pretty goal.

I really like the two of them...they are a lot less homerish than some of the TSN and CBC announcers here in Canada (ex. Greg Millen, Glenn Healy)

Local announcers get to be homers. I think Daniels is okay, but not as good as Dave Strader. Mickey Redmond is great. I don't get the flack he takes on WDFN. They seriously hate him.

I liked Dave Strader better with Mickey, but Daniels is ok. Compared to the teams ESPN used to have, or some of the teams I've hear on NHL HOME ICE on XM RADIO, Daniels and Mickey are A+.

....Compared to the teams ESPN used to have, or some of the teams I've hear on NHL HOME ICE on XM RADIO, Daniels and Mickey are A+.

Quoted for truth. When I used to have XM, I'd listen to some other games on off nights. I think the worse are the Avalanche announcers.

I like them. I guess I liked Dave Strader more but that could be nostalgia talking.

I love old Mick too. Glad to hear everyone seems to feel the same way.

Heres a question for you all:

Which is the better current detroit broadcasting duo?

1) Ken and Mickey

2) Rod and Allen

I like Rod and Allen, but Mickey's personality puts him over the top for me.

Mickey is awesome. I miss him. Does he still bust out the "pops" and start slurring by the 3rd period?

I think it was Friday or Saturday, I was watching the game .. and during the 3rd period, he came out with a phrase ... something like "If it's green, it's go" or something like that ... Dad and I just stared at each other, not knowing what the hell Mick was saying... it was great!

I hate when the Wings travel, I guess Mick doesn't travel with the team anymore.

All home town announcers are homers to varying degrees. It's pretty evident if you have a Center Ice subscription. The only beef I have with Daniels is that he uses penalty labels too often in his play-by-play. Like, 'Draper hooked,' 'Datsyuk obstructed,' 'Cleary held,' etc., when no real foul is occurring.

http://redwings.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=352988

TV analyst Redmond to have surgery to remove tumor

John Hahn Detroit Red Wings

Feb 10, 2008, 6:03 PM EST

MRedmond.jpgMickey RedmondDETROIT -- Mickey Redmond, the Red Wings' popular television analyst, will undergo surgery on Monday, Feb. 11, to have a small tumor on his lung removed.

The tumor was found during a recent routine examination, which Redmond undergoes periodically following his successful surgery for lung cancer in January 2003.

The physicians treating Redmond report that the tumor was discovered early and they anticipate that he will fully recover from the surgery. He will return to the broadcast booth for the Red Wings’ game against St. Louis on March 5.

Redmond, 60, played six seasons with the Red Wings from 1971-76. Prior to Detroit, he played four seasons with Montreal, where he was a part of two Stanley Cup championships.

He was dealt to Detroit along with center Guy Charron and right wing Bill Collins in a trade that sent left wing Frank Mahovlich to the Canadiens.

Redmond, a right wing, was the first 50-goal scorer in Red Wings' history, scoring 52 in 1972-73 and 51 the following campaign.

Redmond finished his 10-season NHL career with 233 goals and 195 assists in 538 games.

Fans who would like to write well-wishes are asked to use the following address:

Joe Louis Arena

600 Civic Center Drive

Detroit, MI 48226

Mickey is awesome. I miss him. Does he still bust out the "pops" and start slurring by the 3rd period?

I don't thnk so because he has celiac disease and beer's a no no with that one.

Mick is great - he is just so canadian and authentic. I think he and Daniels have a decent chemistry.

Detroit is blessed with some good tv talent - could be much worse.