Edman85

McCain vs. Obama

Who will you vote for?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you vote for?

It appears as if John McCain will win the Republican nomination. If it's McCain vs. Obama, who will you vote for in November?

I am torn on this one since I like both men.

My dream president and vice-president would be Obama and McCain since they would improve this country with their expertise, charisma, and personality.

It's too bad that I can only vote one here.

I would vote for Obama because it's his time. He is young. He has everything going for him. He is ready to go at it. He is the type of guy that everyone can rally around.

I have some pro's and con's for McCain

Pro's - he's ticking off the party. Right now all you hear about is how he's not a conservative, which he definitely is. He speaks his mind and I truly believe that he, more than anyone else running, truly wants to do the best for this country.

Con's - His biggest 'experience' he can claim is McCain / Feinstein. So the only thing I can think about that he's done in the last 10 years is also something that is probably the most destrustive

McCain is my "favorite" of the GOP candidate, not because he's likely to lose against Obama, but he's the one I'd rather win if a Republican had to win. But in an actual election, I'd vote Obama.

I don't have a great deal of interests in politics. I usually don't have a strong preference and often end up voting for third party candidates. Obama is the first real candidate for a long time that I wanted to see win.

I don't understand the appeal of McCain. I don't know why so many people are voting for him. He seems like a weak candidate and I don't think he'll beat either Obama or Clinton. There have been some past candidates who I didn't like but I understood their popularity. I don't get this one. Maybe it's because I don't follow politics closely enough.

I think McCain is this year's version of John Kerry in 2004. His candidacy was almost dead then suddenly became the "electable" one so they went with it. I wouldn't say Mccain is popular, he's just better than the other choices for those people who vote for him. Sounds obvious but it's not meant to be. He's just the default guy.

I hope this is the way it goes. I would happily vote for Obama. I couldn't say the same about Clinton.

McCain and Liebermann might be a strong ticket. I know, he hasn't done that yet, but that is my prediction.

Some way, some how, Obama must beat out Shillary. That women is beyond scary. The last thing this country needs is anymore Clintons or Bushes in the Whitehouse.

I hope this is the way it goes. I would happily vote for Obama. I couldn't say the same about Clinton.

Clinton vs McCain, do you not vote?

McCain and Liebermann might be a strong ticket. I know, he hasn't done that yet, but that is my prediction.

I think he balks at an all-out play for independents. The conservatives critiques are real, and I'm betting he opts for a Huckabee type as his VP.

I think I'm probably the only person under 60 who thinks this way, but my preferences in this election go McCain > Clinton > third party > Obama/Huckabee/Romney.

-Tony

what does Huckabee bring him? Don't economic conservatives dislike Huck too? Didn't Rush actually say that a McCain OR HUCK nomination would tear apart the party?

Some way, some how, Obama must beat out Shillary. That women is beyond scary. The last thing this country needs is anymore Clintons or Bushes in the Whitehouse.

I don't see Liberman wanting to run for VP again. You are talking about a guy who lost once and is getting old.

McCain needs a shocker pick. Someone like Steve Forbes would raise a lot of eyebrows. McCain for the military part and Forbes for the economic part.

what does Huckabee bring him? Don't economic conservatives dislike Huck too? Didn't Rush actually say that a McCain OR HUCK nomination would tear apart the party?

Huckabee might bring out the conservatives and the fundies. If they stay home, the Democrats will win. Even Hillary will win.

And, as a generla rule, they don't like McCain.

McCain has no chance against Obama unless the religious conservatives come out because Obama will beat him in the independent vote.

To the classic economic conservative(I consider myself to be a strong example) Huckabee is extremely liberal when compared to John McCain.

what does Huckabee bring him? Don't economic conservatives dislike Huck too?

Very fair point - I meant a strong conservative candidate with a Southern pull. Maybe you opt for someone attractive and younger, like a John Thune. The broader point was that I don't think he opts for an independent or moderate here.

-Tony

McCain has no chance against Obama unless the religious conservatives come out because Obama will beat him in the independent vote.

I still think they had this election on the West Wing...But really, even if the religious conservatives come out, I'd still have Obama at 70/30. I know this is a fashionable point, but I think it's valid - the only risk Obama presents is scandal related. From his Illinois primary to Senate race to this presidential race, he's never been "THE GUY."

And when you're "THE GUY", you get attacked (ask Hillary). He's going to have a lot of stuff thrown at him and the risk is that something is going to stick. Is it likely to hurt him as much as the anti-Republican ads are going to hurt McCain (or Huckabee or Romney had they have won)? Probably not - which is why he, and I think Clinton, should both be sizable favorites despite what the early polling says.

-Tony

I still think they had this election on the West Wing...But really, even if the religious conservatives come out, I'd still have Obama at 70/30. I know this is a fashionable point, but I think it's valid - the only risk Obama presents is scandal related. From his Illinois primary to Senate race to this presidential race, he's never been "THE GUY."

And when you're "THE GUY", you get attacked (ask Hillary). He's going to have a lot of stuff thrown at him and the risk is that something is going to stick. Is it likely to hurt him as much as the anti-Republican ads are going to hurt McCain (or Huckabee or Romney had they have won)? Probably not - which is why he, and I think Clinton, should both be sizable favorites despite what the early polling says.

-Tony

True dat.

But I would still put McCain above Hillary. She alone will motivate the fundies to vote. People will come out to vote against her. And she can't distinguish herself on Iraq like Obama can, when she tries, she'll just remind everyone of Kerry.

The Republican strategists would be licking their chops thinking about the attack ads they couold use on her. Like shooting fish in a barrell.

What WON'T tear the party apart at this moment? It seems as if they aren't satisfied with anything. Pretty soon we'll see them try to abolish the 22nd Amendment and bring back the ghost of Reagan :cheeky::wink:

Its gonna be Crist

I don't know. Apperantly, rumor is...he's gay. Shortly after he was elected here, there was a huge thing about whether or not Crist was gay or not. It got to a point where he had to publicly deny it. I think the last thing McCain needs in his situation is a VP who has been accused of homosexuality.

The GOP staffer, 21-year-old Jason Wetherington, told friends at separate social functions in August that he had sex with Crist, according to two credible and independent sources who heard Wetherington make the claim first-hand.

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2006-10-26/news/crist-denies-trysts/

I liked Vinnick.

The producers said the plan was for Vinnick to win but with John Spencer's death they figured it'd be too much for Santos to handle by losing the election and his running mate.

That was a great show when Sorkin was there.