LJK004

Enforcers...

Who's the Wings best enforcer over the last 30 years?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the Wings best enforcer over the last 30 years?

• Bob Probert
    • Joey Kocur
    • Darren McCarty
    • Stu (the Grim Reaper) Grimson

The problem with Probie's goal numbers against everyone elses (except Kocur) is he played back in the era of ridiculous scoring. I have trouble believing he'd be a 20 goal scorer in today's game.

Wow...According to wikipedia Grimson is a born again Christian with a law degree. This is a classic example of why I don't trust that site.

This is correct. He was involved with the player's union mess after the strike for a while.

McCarty might not be as feared as Probert, but he has to get bonus points for cleaning the ice with lemiux's (sp ?) butt.....

Where's McSorely in this discussion? Not the greatest of the evil ones but pretty nasty. A very effective protector.

McCarty might not be as feared as Probert, but he has to get bonus points for cleaning the ice with lemiux's (sp ?) butt.....

One fight does not make a career enforcer.

Proby and Kocur were just flat out mean dudes. I remember all the "give blood fight Probert" shirts which were great. And also remember a game where Joe Kocur came back after a few games off because his hands were so mangled and broken from fighting. I remember in the pregame show they showed his hands (which looked nothing like hands) and talked about him agreeing not to fight if he came back. Well sure enough his first or second shift he dropped the gloves and wailed on somebody. McCarty was a better enforcer than some give him credit for. I will always, always remember the fight where he beat the piss out of that little coward Claude which was incredible. But he was also playing in a different style of game than Kocur and Probert, the NHL was changing. I also remember watching him at training camp on year and some minor leaguer kid trying to make an impression ran stevey-Y and the next time he was out on the ice McCarty went into the corner with this kid and the kid left the ice with his wrist snapped in half. Nobody came close to Yzerman the rest of the camp. Oh and Grimson... doesn't quite stick out in my mind as much. So that being said I can't bring myself to vote on this poll.

Wow...According to wikipedia Grimson is a born again Christian with a law degree. This is a classic example of why I don't trust that site.

Stu is actually quite an intellegent individual, and really does not fit the stereotype of a goon (outside his on-ice goonery, that is) at all. It is my understanding that he does not like to fight, but recognized it as the only way he could play professionally...

When did McSorley play for the Wings?

I'm talking versus these guys. No one seems to mention any matchups involving him. JUst the one link. He could hold his own.

I'm talking versus these guys. No one seems to mention any matchups involving him. JUst the one link. He could hold his own.

Thats because other than the long Probert battle, none stick out, and this thread is specific to Red Wing enforcers over the past 30 years. McSorley could more than hold his own, he was a dominant enforcer for over a decade.

My initial thought was that McCarty was just too small to really be a great enforcer, but he's actually about Kocur's size, and not much smaller than Probert. He's one of my all time favorite Red Wings, but no way was he ever in Probert's or Kocur's class.

Grimson was a great one for his career, but didn't play for the Wings during his prime, which is why I rank him below McCarty for this specific poll.

Kocur's hand troubles dated back to a fight in the AHL with one of the Playfair's . Joey cold cocked him (even on a grainy video it looked worse than the KO of Kyte) and would up with one or two of Playfair's teeth lodged in his knuckles...IIRC, it would up getting infected.

McSorely was a great enforcer and a better decent hockey player. He was SO much better than that incident with Brashear. His bother Chris was a tough kid also, but he never got further up the food chain than the IHL. He was a pretty hot coaching prospect for a time...I think he's over in Europe coaching in Finland or Swtzerland or someplace really cold and blonde

Oh, Ok. Sorry, I was thinking in context of the question. You're right though, McSorely was good. Ask Gretzky.

Oh, Ok. Sorry, I was thinking in context of the question. You're right though, McSorely was good. Ask Gretzky.

MY thinking was, and I guess I didn't explain it well, lets compare them to a common foe rather than just to each other.

MY thinking was, and I guess I didn't explain it well, lets compare them to a common foe rather than just to each other.

I think you have to look at the totality of their careers as Wings to answer the question, not just how they each did in isolated moments against a common foe.