jonjd

Your 2nd Favorite Team...

I don't really have second favorites. In baseball, its Tigers or nothing. I used to be a Marlins fan years ago before the first WS and firesale, and I still rooted on the Marlins up until a few years ago, even while being a Tigers fan. But currently, I don't have a second favorite team in any sport. In football, I don't mind the Steelers, Packers, or Cowboys. I'd be a fan of one of those teams if the Dolphins ever relocated.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Nuggets do well. I've always been a little bit of an AI fan. Plus, I like their uniforms.

I don't have any second favorites in pro sports. As far as college sports, Michigan is my primary team and Hawaii is my secondary.

MLB - Boston Red Sox(dont rip me, liked them because i really hated the yankees and Nomar was one of my favorite players for a while)

NBA - Clippers i guess, dont really care

NHL - 100 % wings, James Wisniewski went to my high school and middle school so I want him to do well, so maybe you could say blackhawks #2, but not really)

NFL - New England Patriots (if they didnt have brady, they wouldnt be my #2 team)

MLB: Jays, being Canadian and all

NBA: Raptors, being Canadian and all

NFL: don't really have one...no Canadian teams to root for :) although for this Sunday it'll be the Giants, New England needs to be taken down a peg

NHL: no one...if the Wings aren't playing I don't care...I don't like most of the Canadian NHL teams anyway, although I like cheering for other Newfoundland players (Ryder on the Habs, Clowe on the Sharks, Purcell on the Kings)

MLB: I wouldn't use the terminology "2nd favourite", but I also follow the Jays simply because I live in Toronto and they get all the baseball media coverage here.

NBA: I also follow the Raptors for the same reasons as above.

MLB: Yankees because I'm from a family of Yankee fans. My father and I are the only two Tiger fans in the family. Also the Brewers because I grew up watching games at County Stadium, not Wrigley Field or Comisky Park.

NBA: Anyone who's playing the Lakers. I also follow the Bulls. I don't really care if they win or lose, I just watch them whenever they're on WGN or WCIU.

NFL: The Patriots, not that I'm thinking about that this week.

MLB: I have always followed the Blue Jays very closely. I think it won't be long until the D-Backs become my second favorite though as they have an exciting young team and they are the MLB team I get to see in person now.

NBA: Suns based on living here now. And they are exciting to watch.

NFL: Lions (Redskins are actually my number 1)\

Utah Jazz. I love the fundamentals.

A while ago I might have said the Spurs. Duncan is still one of my favorite players, but Ginobili's flopping and Parker's ever-growing ego have gotten in the way of that for me.

My seconds...

MLB:It varies from year to year really, but a lot of time I find myself rooting for San Diego, probably because I lived in Oceanside for a year and a half.

NFL: Chargers for sure, see above and how can one not enjoy LT?

NHL: I kinda like Ottawa, but it's waned the past couple of years.

NBA: I like the Hornets a lot, but hopefully I'll get to root for the Sonics next year.

NCAA: My allegences pretty much rotate among the Michigan teams, though I will root for Oklahoma State (The in-laws, and I cannot bring myself to fully support OU).

In baseball, I tend to like a couple of other teams basically because they have pitchers I follow:

D'Backs - Randy Johnson, Haren (now that he's out of the AL).

Giants - Lincecum, who I think has the potential to not only be a great pitcher, but to change the way that pitchers use their bodies to throw the ball.

Marlins - Miller, who I think will become a great pitcher.

Seattle - "King" Felix, whom I love to hate; he is so overhyped as some great ace, when Verlander is far better pitcher.

I used to think I could develop a second favorite team once I moved out of Detroit. Maybe I could latch on to the Dodgers/Clippers now that I'm in LA or follow the Chargers during football.

But I have found it actually impossible. I will go to Dodgers/Clippers/Kings games and root, but if they lose it just doesn't matter one iota.

I only cheer for players, competitive games or the result that helps my team out the most now.

I can't really get into any of the close teams around here in any of the sports. I'll follow them a bit but nothing special, really only the Phillies are anything more than common sports knowledge.

NBA: Spurs – lifelong Duncan fan (I have family in St. Croix), followed by the Warriors since I live out here

NFL: Pats – the Maize & Blue connection with Brady (and I used to live in Boston), followed by the 49ers since I live out here

NHL: Wings only

MLB: Tigers only

Have to agree with mtk, though – don’t really care if any ‘other’ team loses other than Detroit – whatever the sport

MLB: Padres

NFL: Raiders, and whoever plays the Packers.

NHL: Penguins

NBA: Pistons only

NFL: Packers, Falcons, (spent 13 years in ATL)

NBA: Suns

MLB: Braves

NHL: Wings only

NCAA: Michigan Football/Hockey, WMU Hockey/Football, MSU Basketball,

Super Bowl XLII has officially made the Giants my second favorite team. Any team who can piss off Jets and Patriots fans gets props. I thought the away white/red jerseys were cool, but now this win might make me actually buy a Manning jersey.