jonjd

Your 2nd Favorite Team...

I'll admit that I'm the first guy who will argue against having a so-called '2nd favorite team' in a particular league simply because I put all of my focus and love into one. I guess it's the typical loyalty and passion that a sports fan has. YET, over the last few years I have found myself splitting time watching the Pistons game and the Raptor game on a given night and cheering dutifully for both. My reasons for the Raptors love is that I am a Canadian and they are on every night.. the consistent access along with being a likable "underdog"-like team is what brought me close. Of course when both teams meet I lean heavily towards the Pistons, but I just hope a meeting of special circumstance does not happen...

Regardless, I pose the question if any of you have a 2nd team in the league that you possibly root for or enjoy seeing do well on a nightly basis. I'd like to know if you fall into the same "I hope they don't play each other in the playoffs" category as I do as well...

I can't stress to you enough how much I am against having multiple teams in a league so this is brand new for me, but I'd like to hear some thoughts...

200801041951715141613-pf.widec.jpg

Milwaukee Bucks, only for geography sake. Pistons vs Bucks, its all red white and blue baby!

My second favorite team is whomever is playing the Bulls and Celtics.

There are lots of teams I "don't mind" for one reason or another. It used to be whatever team had the most Michigan players on it, but, since Michigan basketball sucks so bad, I don't have that avenue anymore.

I like this particular Trailblazers team. I like the Clippers because of Kamen. I like the Lakers because they used to beat the Celtics and because I like Kobe. I like the Raptors because of the style they play.

After all that, I guess if I had a Second Favorite Team it would be the Warriors because I like how they play.

I don't really have a 2nd-favorite NBA team. In other sports I do, though.

MLB: Cincinnati Reds (or whoever is employing Ken Griffey, Jr)

NFL: Cincinnati Bengals (one of my best friends / old roommates is a huge Bengals fan)

NHL: Fan of the league, but not of a particular team, so this doesn't apply.

NCAAF: Changes yearly.

NCAABB: No real favorite team.

It's a little easier in pro football and baseball, as Detroit teams will only cross paths with these teams every few years.

MLB: Astros (Berkman)

NFL: Texans

NHL: Penguins since last year

NCAAF: no one. U-m only.

NBA: I really like Dirk, so probably Dallas

I truly don't have one. If I am watching a game that doesn't involve an area team I usually pick the underdog just so I have a reason to continue to watch. But I truly don't have a second team in any sport.

Maybe when I lived in Illinois I had the Cubs for baseball. I could pull for them and it didn't impact the Tigers. Plus, I enjoyed the Friday afternoon games in particular.

MLB: Cubbies

NFL: Pats or whatever team has the most UM guys on it

NHL: Montreal

NCAAF: UM only

NCAABB: Illinois

NBA: Golden State, I guess

My second favorite teams in any sport are whomever is playing the Chicago teams other than the Cubs.

I only have multiple teams in college football. I grew up 5 mins from Rutgers and have had season tickets since I was 12 years old(still do). I went to college and am a legacy at the University of Miami. Drove my college buddies nuts for the past couple of years when RU has been better than Miami. I'm pretty sure I'm a Cane first...but I have to say I've never seen the two teams play as equals. That day the truth will come out I suppose.

MLB: I've been following the Royals a bit lately. Mostly because of the fantasy baseball tie-ins (I scouted and picked up Gordon and Butler). I also will keep my eye on the Rangers, just cause they're on TV every night.

NBA: Timberwolves. Used to live in Minny, loved the Garnett/Marbury/Googs era.

NFL: I dont think I even have a favorite team. I keep my eye on the Lions and the Bengals.

NCAAF: Boise State (although I think I actually like them more than my alma mater now)

NHL: Tried to follow hockey, but I just cant. I respect the game though, it just has no appeal to me.

whats a legacy?

my father was an alumni...it's a short legacy but a legacy nonetheless. Hopefully my son will go and it will get a bit longer.

MLB: Twins (I've got a lot of family in Minn/South Dakota so I used to root for them sometimes. Plus they didn't try to make us lose 120, they rested their players since the games didn't matter)

NFL: Pats (b/c Brady went to UofM) Any given game I just root for who has more UofM guys or which UofM guys I liked most.

NHL: Whoever has UofM guys that I remember.

NCAAF: Western

NCAABB: Western

NBA: UofM guys (are there any besides Webber still in the NBA?) So I guess that means Golden State.

San Antonio Spurs, the Pistons from Texas. Good guys, Ginobili being the only one on that team that irritates me.

NFL: Pats or whatever team has the most UM guys on it

HA - this is my formula as well... I first started liking the Pats because I loved watching Ty Law and at the time they had one other Michigan guy. This was back before the Tom Brady era as well, though when he got the nod to start after Bledsoe's injury, that's when I became a diehard Patriots fan.

I actually read a MOCK DRAFT that had the Patriots trading up to take Jake Long in the 1st round and Shawn Crable in the 3rd .. that'd be sweet!

I would cry if that happened .. dude, like a girl.

MLB: used to be Marlins until the trade, now its back to the Braves.

NFL: Broncos, family there.

NHL: Carolina

NCAAF: UM only

NCAABB: Harvard ;) or Memphis

NBA:Pistons only

Rooting for the Pats is like rooting for the Yankees.

lol - if you say so, though I just don't see it. Actually, to be honest, I don't see any valid comparisons in the two, and yet, I hear it all the time...

With baseball, I love the Tigers first and foremost, though living in Atlanta for so long, growing up with TBS in Michigan, it's hard not to be a Braves fan.

And the Edgar trade helps being a Braves fan, as I can't talk enough about Jair Jurrjens, not to mention this team has three awesome/young OF prospects - Schafer, Heyward, and some kid named Gorkys Hernandez. It's going to be fun to see if the Braves can make a run in the NL EAST this year or not!

Jeter is from Michigan...let's all cheer for the Yankees!

He's also a big Michigan football fan, and is one of many reasons on why I like Jeter, and the only Yankee I have ever liked -- ever.

I loved Sheffield when he was with the Braves, hated him when he went to the Yankees .. and of course, we made up the day of his trade to Detroit.

MLB - Tampa Rays - we all can feel the pain in losing

NBA - Spurs.. agree with DrWho.. I spent 11 years in SA and it kind of grows on you

NHL - Really don't have one.. Wings only

NFL - Anyone that plays the Cowgirls..