Shinma

Wings to add another Swede? (Fabian Brunnstrom)

Well you can't blame Brunnstrom for wanting to get as much playing time as possible, but he's passing up what may be the best situation in the NHL for him.

http://www.cbc.ca/sportsnews/story/2008/05/08/nhl-brunnstrom-stars.html

Dallas Stars win Fabian Brunnstrom sweepstakes

Last Updated: Thursday, May 8, 2008 | 4:16 PM ET

The Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs will have to look elsewhere for free-agent forwards after Sweden's Fabian Brunnstrom chose to sign with the Dallas Stars Thursday.

CBCSports.ca confirmed the signing — a two-year, entry-level deal — which brings an end to one of the most talked about NHL stories in recent months.

The Detroit Red Wings were believed to be the fourth team in the running for the 23-year-old Brunnstrom, a speedy and skilled winger and a classic late bloomer.

Earlier in the season, the Vancouver Canucks reportedly were close to signing Brunnstrom, but the process was held up following the firing of general manager Dave Nonis.

"In the end there was no wrong decision for Fabian," Brunnstrom's agent J.P. Barry of CAA Sports told the Canadian Press. "All the organizations were extremely professional in laying out the opportunity for him to play for their club.

"Dallas was involved from the beginning, and in particular [co-GM] Les Jackson did a good job overviewing the benefits of Dallas.

"When Fabian visited Dallas and got to meet everybody, including the players, he just felt it was the best overall fit for him."

Barry would not discuss financial details but it's believed the deal is worth $875,000 US in base salary and could pay up to $2.5 million a season if he achieves all of his bonuses.

Brunnstrom went undrafted and was extremely desirable, given his status as an unrestricted free agent.

Brunnstrom, who visited Montreal last week, is coming off a nine-goal, 37-point season in 54 games with Farjestads of the Swedish Elite League.

This should add a little intrigue to the series. I personally do not think Brunnstrom is that great, but Detroit might want to let him know that he made the wrong decision.

Oh well, can't win them all. Part of me hopes he gets buried on the 3rd line. Also, I hope he's sound defensively because he will be on his heels a lot down there.

EDIT: Also, it's funny how Canadian writers force Toronto into these things. It's similar to how the Mets name is thrown around for every player at the trade deadline and offseason. I think there was never any chance of him going to Toronto.

Great quote by Holland

"We've courted him pretty hard and I would have been excited if we had him, but I'm not disappointed that we don't have him," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "I think it's an honor to be a Red Wing. He obviously felt he had a better opportunity elsewhere. Good for him."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2008/05/franzen_earns_spot_alongside_r.html

Dave Hodge is awesome! Always opinionated, but usually makes his points in a wry, understated, clever way. Cheeky and dignified, if you can be both, especially at the age of 63. He hosted Hockey Night in Canada for the 15 years before Ron McLean. The Wikipedia entry on Hodge describes how that gig came to an abrupt end:

An interesting quote on the circumstances of columnist Dave Hodge's exit from CBC/HNIC several years ago.

Bump. After starting the season on the bench, Brunnstrom promptly recorded a hat trick in his debut, But he will regret not signing with the Wings. And the Wings have there own Brunnstrom in Villie Leino, so they won't be missing him.

Remember this guy? Me neither. He was plying his trade with the TEXAS Stars before getting dealt yesterday to the Leafs.

Great no-sign by Holland.

I remember all the hype around "his decision". Which puzzled me even at the time. I remember Holland going on Vancouver radio later that day and saying that it's not the end of the world they didn't get him and subtly implied that Brunnstrom may have let the bidding go to his head.

EDIT: Despite my recollection that he seemed overhyped, I had in fact written earlier in this thread: "This would be a coup if the Wings pulled it off, I'd much rather "win" this contest than the Forsberg or Sundin contest. ". Second part is true, Forsberg or Sundin would have been bad news. But a "coup"? Ha.

Edited by lordstanley

heh. fabian. i remember thinking he would be awesome.

On a mildly related note, I read a rumor on one of the Michigan boards that their awesome Swede wants to sign with the Wings when the Rangers lose his rights this summer and he becomes a FA. (Not sure if this is how the process works). Carl Hagelin is his name. Fast fast fast.

On a somewhat related note Ville Leino looks like he might have found a home in Philly. Too bad he didnt play like that here when he had his shot. I really liked him when he was first brought up, thought he would be better for us

heh. fabian. i remember thinking he would be awesome.

On a mildly related note, I read a rumor on one of the Michigan boards that their awesome Swede wants to sign with the Wings when the Rangers lose his rights this summer and he becomes a FA. (Not sure if this is how the process works). Carl Hagelin is his name. Fast fast fast.

That would be awesome

He probably would have been fine if he had signed with the Wings. Way to sign with a team devoid of forward talent, Fabian.