Shinma

Wings to add another Swede? (Fabian Brunnstrom)

Has this guy signed with anyone yet?

Nope, but word is hes cut his list down to three teams, Detroit, Toronto and Vancouver. Since all three team will likely offer him a max rookie contract, it will probably come down to playing time, winning potential, and adjustability.

Note: He can't be signed by an NHL team until after the World Championships in Halifax, NS and Quebec City, QC, where he is all but assured to be playing for the Swedish National Team.

Supposedly, Lidstrom has talked to him about playing in Detroit.

Nope, but word is hes cut his list down to three teams, Detroit, Toronto and Vancouver. Since all three team will likely offer him a max rookie contract, it will probably come down to playing time, winning potential, and adjustability.

Note: He can't be signed by an NHL team until after the World Championships in Halifax, NS and Quebec City, QC, where he is all but assured to be playing for the Swedish National Team.

Supposedly, Lidstrom has talked to him about playing in Detroit.

I'll bet this was pretty big, because I'm sure Nick is something of a rock star in Sweden.

He seems to have good size at 6'2", 200lbs., looks like a good skater, and is performing in a pretty tough Swedish league. Let's hope he picks the Wings. It'd be interesting to watch at the very least.

Yeah.

Also, Yzerman is the coach of team Canada at the Worlds, so there is another shot to talk him up.

How about Abdelkader out of MSU instead of Brunnstrom?

Anyone know anything about him? Is he any good? (2nd round pick in '05...)

How about Abdelkader out of MSU instead of Brunnstrom?

Anyone know anything about him? Is he any good? (2nd round pick in '05...)

Abdelkader is a power forward. A physical presence with the skills to score. He's one of the Wings better prospects.

Abdelkader is a power forward. A physical presence with the skills to score. He's one of the Wings better prospects.

YAY!!!

Well, he better have his game face on tonight. His one game tryout is tonight.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=bb31525b-7c7e-43e4-bf17-4672b8db11fc&k=39431

Canucks set to land touted Swede

By Ben Kuzma, Vancouver Province

Published: Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Vancouver Canucks stumbled in their run toward a playoff position, but have won the race for late-blooming Swedish forward Fabian Brunnstrom.

The Canucks are reportedly close to signing the 23-year-old unrestricted free agent winger to a multi-year contract.

The undrafted Brunnstrom had 37 points [9-28] this season with Farjestads BK Karlstad of the Swedish Elite League and the promise of top-six ice time - plus an opportunity to perhaps play alongside countrymen Henrik and Daniel Sedin - helped woo the winger to the West Coast.

As reported in the Jan. 25 edition of The Province, the Canucks were in competition with finalists Detroit and Toronto for the 6-foot-1, 203-pound winger and as many as 20 teams had expressed interest. The Wings had tendered an offer, but with their depth, couldn't commit to a top-six spot.

Brunnstrom had given agent J.P. Barry a list of five NHL teams he would consider - the other two were Philadelphia and Anaheim - and competing offers will likely see the left-shot Swede sign for at least $2 million US per season with the Canucks.

"He has gone from a nobody to a player who really has made a name for himself. He has a lot of talent, for sure," said Canucks European scout Thomas Gradin. "He's a big player who can skate and he's a very fast skater for his size. He's a very good prospect."

Considering how far Brunnstrom had slipped off the hockey radar, his ascension has been remarkable. At 19, he bombed out of Sweden's Allsvenskan league, a division lower than the Elite League. He took a demotion to Division One club Boras HC and 2006-07, won the scoring title with 73 points in 43 games and Boras took the league crown.

This season, Brunnstrom was released by a Division 1 team after two weeks before signing a two-year deal wtih Farjestads BK Karlstad. There's a year left on that pact, but Barry will have to clarify the legalities in a contract out-clause before Brunnstrom can join the Canucks next fall.

A kid with his track record doesnt deserve gaurenteed playing time or a multi- million dollar, multi-year contract. I have a feeling that Vancouver will regret this deal, but they are desperate. The Wings arent and thier front office is way to smart and have no need to put all thier eggs in one basket like the Canucks have done.

He is clearly choosing playing time over quality of team. Too bad.

It's too bad that the kid made the decision he did, but I'm glad this team doesn't make those kinds of promises.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2008/04/brunnstrom_wanted_too_many_gau.html

Brunnstrom wanted too many gauarantees

by Ansar Khan

Monday April 14, 2008, 2:21 PM

Fabian Brunnstrom wanted more promises than the Red Wings were willing to make to a 22-year-old prospect who's never played in North America. So the highly touted Swedish forward won't be coming to Detroit.

Wings general manager Ken Holland confirmed that Brunnstrom has informed the club he will sign with another team -- by all accounts, Vancouver. The Wings made a full-court press the last several months to get him, but they weren't about to make any promises they couldn't keep, such as ice time, who Brunnstrom would be playing with, and whether he would even be on the NHL roster after the first month of the season.

"It's all about opportunity,'' Holland said. "He felt he had a better opportunity elsewhere''

Brunnstrom narrowed his choices to Detroit and Vancouver six weeks ago. A few of the Wings Swedes, including captain Nicklas Lidstrom and Andreas Lilja, called him to try to convince him to pick Detroit. Brunnstrom is a big Wings fan and likes their puck-possession style, but he also wanted assurances that he would play on one of the top two lines. The Canucks apparently gave it to him, telling him he'll be paired with Daniel and Henrik Sedin. But the Wings are too deep and too good a team to be offering any unproven prospect a guarantee like that. That's not how this team operates.

Opportunity was the only issue. Money was not a factor, as both the Canucks and Wings offered the maximum contract allowed under the rookie salary cap.

A kid with his track record doesnt deserve gaurenteed playing time or a multi- million dollar, multi-year contract. I have a feeling that Vancouver will regret this deal, but they are desperate. The Wings arent and thier front office is way to smart and have no need to put all thier eggs in one basket like the Canucks have done.

All their eggs in one basket? Correct me if I'm wrong, but even a max rookie contract is pretty cheap in the NHL. And as far as the 2nd line guarantee.....if he stinks it up they will reduce his ice time.....nothing he can do about it, except gripe. All in all, pretty good deal for the Canucks.

And as far as the 2nd line guarantee.....if he stinks it up they will reduce his ice time.....nothing he can do about it, except gripe.

That's a pretty shady way to get a player to sign.

let's see...

you give me the choice between playing with the sedins...

or on the wings 3rd line...

i'd pick the sedins too...lol...

the price you pay for having depth, i guess...

and for sticking with they guys you know...

now the kid has to prove he belongs with the big boys...

there might be some other fellas in that locker room who thought they might get that plum role next year...

always be careful what you wish for...

That's a pretty shady way to get a player to sign.

I'm sure they will give him every chance at the beginning of the season with the Sedin line, and if he cuts it, he'll stay there. But it's not like his name is etched in there for the next 5 years. And I'm sure he understands that. Not shady at all.

Not so fast! From today's front-page story in today's Vancouver Sun about the GM Dave Nonis firing:

The most immediate on-ice ramification for the Canucks is that they can probably say goodbye to elite prospect Fabian Brunnstrom, a high-scoring, 23-year-old Swedish free agent who had chosen to sign with the Canucks among 20 NHL suitors.

TSN reported Saturday that the Brunnstrom deal would fall through if Nonis were fired. And Brunnstrom's agent, J.P. Barry, made it clear Monday that Nonis was largely responsible for winning his client's trust by visiting him in Sweden and being the first to show serious interest in the winger.

Interesting development. Anyone know if the Wings were #2. I don't think Holland should make them another offer, but maybe let them know the offer still stands. This guy has had two good seasons, hardly someone that should command big money or demands on playing time.

Interesting development. Anyone know if the Wings were #2. I don't think Holland should make them another offer, but maybe let them know the offer still stands. This guy has had two good seasons, hardly someone that should command big money or demands on playing time.

The Wings were #2. IIRC, Fabian reduced his options to Vancouver and Detroit.

they talked about this last night on tsn, said that he should be falling right into Detroit's lap now

they talked about this last night on tsn, said that he should be falling right into Detroit's lap now

Then hopefully they are on the horn working out a deal. $2 mil, a locker next to Zetterberg and 25 pounds of Swedish fish candy.

Maybe I wasnt clear but I was characterizing Vancouvers guarantee of playing time as an "eggs all in one basket" move.

Could have pointed out where I was dead wrong tho instead of picking on that one comment that really didnt have much bearing on what I said. Years and money are the same from every team that bid, due to his rookie status.

If he agrees to what the Wings offered, a guarantee for the first month but you have to perform to receive further playing time, then Im all for this move. Can never have too many prospects and with the Wings drafting low year after year, sometimes you have to reach and take a chance.

I hope for Bruunnstrom's sake and ours that the firing of Nonis changes his mind.

Guarantees of ice-time and line-placement are ridiculous. Does he really expect Vancouver to live up to that promise, and if he does, can someone give him my number - I've got some things I'd like to "sell" him for a small fee!

If he's a talented offensive player (and it looks like he probably is), he'll do better in Detroit's system, regardless of what line he's on. Also, it's not like the Wings are completely loaded at forward. We actually do have need for a second line guy to complement Zetterberg.

All things aside, good for Holland for not being a total creep and making promises he had no intention of keeping. I truly believe in the long run that'll go farther with future free agents.

I hope for Bruunnstrom's sake and ours that the firing of Nonis changes his mind.

Guarantees of ice-time and line-placement are ridiculous. Does he really expect Vancouver to live up to that promise, and if he does, can someone give him my number - I've got some things I'd like to "sell" him for a small fee!

If he's a talented offensive player (and it looks like he probably is), he'll do better in Detroit's system, regardless of what line he's on. Also, it's not like the Wings are completely loaded at forward. We actually do have need for a second line guy to complement Zetterberg.

All things aside, good for Holland for not being a total creep and making promises he had no intention of keeping. I truly believe in the long run that'll go farther with future free agents.

You won't have to worry about the Wings. The Wings have the talent to tell him he either abides by the Wings policies, or he doesn't become a Red Wing.