Shinma

Wings to add another Swede? (Fabian Brunnstrom)

Ok, I want an all Swede line now.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080126/BLOG09/80124083/1053/SPORTS02

Forsberg to Detroit? Probably not; but Wings are front-runners for BrunnstromJanuary 26, 2008

Peter Forsberg has begun skating again, and so far reports out of his native Sweden have said he’s feeling very good about his surgically repaired right ankle, which has caused him all sorts of problems over his career.

If all continues to go well, Forsberg is going to be the hottest commodity as NHL teams compete to land his services before the Feb. 26 trade deadline (Forsberg doesn’t have to be signed by that time, but clubs need to know if they should seek help elsewhere).

The Wings have pursued Forsberg, 34, twice before. A year ago they were hoping to acquire him via trade from Philadelphia, but Forsberg, who had a say in where he went, decided instead to go to the Predators.

In the summer of 2005, coming out of the lockout, the Wings made an offer to Forsberg when he was an unrestricted free agent.

Now the Wings are interested again, having told so to Forsberg’s agent numerous times over the past six months. But Forsberg is probably going to reject the Wings’ advances for a third time.

Much as it would seem like he should relish coming to the best team in the NHL, one with seven other Swedes – including Nicklas Lidstrom, a longtime national teammate and the guy who scored the goal at the 2006 Torino Games that secured Sweden the gold medal in men’s hockey – Forsberg’s past is likely to prevent him from making Detroit his future home.

Forsberg, of course, is a former Colorado Avalanche, and won two Stanley Cups while there. Though he has since gone on to play for Philadelphia and Nashville, from what I hear he identifies very strongly with the Avalanche, and the rivalry that club used to have with Detroit. I suspect he feels it would be a betrayal to his old team and its fans to don a Wings jersey.

I also know none of the Swedish Wings have gone to management and pushed for Forsberg.

I do think the Wings will be one Swede stronger at some point this spring, and his name is Fabian Brunnstrom. He's an almost 23-year-old forward who’s become a star in the Swedish Elite League. He went undrafted, but now NHL teams are taking notice, and the Wings are among teams who have made an offer. From what I hear, the club believes it is the front-runner to acquire Brunnstrom.

All NHL clubs are on an even field as far as what entry-level contract they can offer Brunnstrom, so on his part, it’ll just come down to where he wants to go. I hear he's already made up his mind about coming to Detroit.

90's - Team Russia.

00's - Team Sweden!

Know anything about him, Shin ?

Mainly that he wasn't drafted and is showing some great potential and skills in the Swedish Elite League. He will probably play of the Griffins for a bit at first when he comes over, if the deal isnt finalized, because technically until he signs, nothing is final, either.

Brunnstrom does not exist in NHL '08, a game that has every AHL, National, and two or three entire Euro leagues worth of players.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/01/lebrun_dishes_dirt_on_brunnstr.html

Posted by January 21, 2008 17:18PM

The Canadian Press/Sportsnet's Pierre LeBrun has added a few details to his report on Swedish sensation Fabian Brunnstrom:

: You might not have ever heard of Fabian Brunnstrom, but he's currently one of the most sought-after players not in the NHL. As many as 20 NHL teams have shown serious interest in the 22-year-old Swedish forward this season. He's an unrestricted free agent in terms of his NHL rights because he went undrafted. He's a late bloomer and has really come on in the past 12 months. He has 30 points in 36 games with Farjestads of the Swedish Elite League this season.

"He's oozing skill, a great playmaker with lots of upside," one NHL executive told Sportsnet.ca. "He won't take the NHL by storm right away, but he'll grow into a quality first- or second-line forward."

Brunnstrom recently gave his agent, J.P. Barry of CAA Sports, a short list of five teams to begin negotiating with. While Barry refused to comment, a source in Sweden said the Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings are among the five. The Red Wings have a rich history with Swedish players so there's no surprise there. The Canucks see him as a possible fit with the Sedin twins. The Leafs can offer him lots of ice time right off the bat next season. I'm told Leafs GM John Ferguson has been very diligent in his pursuit of Brunnstrom, which includes sending the player a DVD package highlighting the merits of living in Toronto.

Brunnstrom will sign a two-year, entry-level deal with one of the five teams on his list probably within the next few months and join that team next season.

Due to the new CBA, NHL entry level contracts are predetrmined, so the Wings can't offer him anymore dollars than any other club. It's simply a mtter of him picking which team he wants to sign with from those who are interested.

Due to the new CBA, NHL entry level contracts are predetrmined, so the Wings can't offer him anymore dollars than any other club. It's simply a mtter of him picking which team he wants to sign with from those who are interested.

yep, which is an advantage for detroit who has less cap room than some other teams

in another article from helene st james she says

The Wings are, however, believed to have secured the services of Fabian Brunnstrom, an almost 23-year-old forward who’s become a star in the Swedish Elite League. They’re on a level playing field with other NHL clubs as to what contract can be offered, but have the advantage in offering him a locker room filled with seven countrymen.

yep, which is an advantage for detroit who has less cap room than some other teams

Detroit has excellent cap management. Toronto and Vancouver are much worse off cap wise.

Three years into the new system, the Red Wings still have the No. 1 team entering All-Star weekend in Atlanta despite a $46.1 million payroll that ranks 18th out of 30 NHL clubs.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/wings/2008-01-23-redwings-feature_N.htm

Chart here

http://www.nhlscap.com/teamnumbers.htm

Also, there was a bit of discussion about him in http://motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55806

Yeah, the Wings still have cap room.

didnt realize they were only 18th in payroll, thats amazing. but i meant it in the fact that some of our guys are due for some raises. osgood got one, zetterberg is going to get one. cleary will most likely make more money.

This would be a coup if the Wings pulled it off, I'd much rather "win" this contest than the Forsberg or Sundin contest. The Canucks are always a threat when it comes to Swedish players; in fact, one of the Young Stars last night was a Canuck named Alex Edler, a former player in Sweden's Third Division player who was snagged in the lower rounds apparently just as Detroit was to take him with their next pick.

This would be a coup if the Wings pulled it off, I'd much rather "win" this contest than the Forsberg or Sundin contest. The Canucks are always a threat when it comes to Swedish players; in fact, one of the Young Stars last night was a Canuck named Alex Edler, a former player in Sweden's Third Division player who was snagged in the lower rounds apparently just as Detroit was to take him with their next pick.

but we got Johan Franzen instead, which has worked out pretty well so far.

Thanks for the link to the video Shinma. He looks like a very skilled player with good vision. He'd be a great sign.

Thanks for the link, also.

Noticed the comments on there

where it's rumored he's coming to Detroit.

He wears #96 too. Wonder if there's a

reason behind that ?

Think Homer keeps his number or

gives it up... if he comes here ?

if i was holmstrom id keep 96 unless brunnstrom offered some major incentive to give it up. i was always the type to get attached to my numbers though, maybe homer doesnt care. he would have seniority though.

Holmstrom has been wearing that number since 1997...the kid can pick a new one

I agree !

He wears #96 too. Wonder if there's a

reason behind that ?

Think Homer keeps his number or

gives it up... if he comes here ?

Homer can keep 96. No Wing is wearing either #9 or #6 currently so maybe the kid can ask for either of those.

Yes, but it wouldn't be priceless to be in the room when he asked for it?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: