thunderhead

Sat. Radio, XM or Sirius?

Is one of these better then the other? When they have the Games on who does they annoucing? Is it the local guys or is it someone from the Sat radio?

They use local feeds.

Sirius has NFL, NBA, and NCAA football

XM has MLB and ....someone help me out here...

Sirius has Howard Stern

The Music choices are about the same.

There are still plans for the two companies to merge, but I haven't read anything in quite a while about an update.

I have XM in the car and Sirius at work. From what I've determeined, and I realize everyone has there own likes, I think the music selection on XM is better than that on Sirius. Combined with the baseball programming, I would give the nod to XM.

They use local feeds.

Sirius has NFL, NBA, and NCAA football

XM has MLB and ....someone help me out here...

Sirius has Howard Stern

The Music choices are about the same.

There are still plans for the two companies to merge, but I haven't read anything in quite a while about an update.

XM has NHL,College Football, College Basketball and The PGA

honestly the only reason i want XM is cause of the baseball, i won't be able to watch all the games i want but i can atleast listen to them.

the INNO looks pretty cool for a portable.

Like others have said, the music and news programming are similar, so I went with XM for the baseball, over Sirius for the football.

I look at it this way: NFL broadcasts would be nice, but most of the games take place on the same day of the week, at roughly the same time. So you'll only have a chance to hear three or four games a week. But with MLB, there's a baseball game somewhere on the air pretty much all the time from March to September (they covered a ton of the spring games too).

I personally think the XM is better, by a thread. The music choices are a bit better and they have MLB. Sirius has the NFL, but I'd rather watch a football game. Sirius has Stern, but I think he's a dolt. Sirius has college football, I'd love that, but I'll take MLB over it.

However, whichever one you get is worth the money, they both kick regular radio to the curb.

Is there a good portable system that can be used in the house without having to run an antenna outside? Unfortunately, I have to save money this summer for a rather large event this fall so I won't be renewing my Extra Innings package but would love to listen to the Tigers in the house.

Is there a good portable system that can be used in the house without having to run an antenna outside? Unfortunately, I have to save money this summer for a rather large event this fall so I won't be renewing my Extra Innings package but would love to listen to the Tigers in the house.

I have a Pioneer portable (the one before the Inno) and I have the Antenna in a window. It works 100%

I've gotten XM for half price the last two years. My brother had a year of free Sirius when he bought his truck, but couldn't get them to match the XM offer.

If you get an XM radio, when setting up your account insist on free activation and $77 a year deal. Sometimes it will take a few phone calls, but everyone I know who has tried it, has gotten it to work. If you already subscribe, call and threaten to cancel. They will send you to the cancellation department and will give you the $77 for the year before they lose an account.

The sound quality is better on Sirius. XM has split up their band so significantly that the sound on many of the "second tier" music channels (i.e. the channels that play anything interesting) really really suffers. Audible digital noise in the midrange was enough for me to stop listening to XM, even though it was free.

When they called, and asked if I wanted to subscribe, I told them not until the sound quality improves. The guy thought I was nuts...so I thought maybe I was nuts.

I did a little research, and found that I am far from the only person who feels this way. Many longtime subscribers complain that since the addition of more channels, the sound quality is taking it on the chin.

No thanks.

I've had XM for about 3.5 years now. The music selection is overrated. They are in love with Def Leopard - and since Tom Petty has his own show they flood his music into multiple stations. But I'm not kidding - I've never heard more Def Leopard in my life. They don't cycle the songs well either on Big Tracks, Top Tracks or the decades stations. More than once, I've head the SAME song on at the same time on different stations.

That said - I like the no commercials and don't miss blow hard DJ's trying to be funny but actually being annoying.

I give XM the nod right now ONLY for MLB. I miss Stern, but just find someone who has Sirius and you can use their internet ID/Password and listen to Stern on your PC. XM doesn't broadcast MLB over their website - which bugs me.

I like the comedy stations - but they usually just play 2-4 minute clips - and right when your getting into someones act, they switch to another comedian.

It's still a young industry - I'm sure it will get better with time. I'm hoping for a merger that will allow 'ala-cart' selections in the future so I can get BOTH Stern and MLB in my car.

I have XM because of baseball. Sometimes I wish I had both so I can DOMINATE THE SPORTS AIRWAVES! :classic:

I really don't know which is better. I think it depends most on your favorite sports package or if you like Howard Stern.

I know a guy that has both and he likes Siirus music better, but I really have no clue. I don't think the music should make too much of a difference one way or the other. And actually I find AOL radio and a few other things like that just as good, if not better, than XM for music. There's some good stuff on the net. Of course, that doesn't help in your car. But there is one thing you can do. AOL radio has many of the XM music stations linked to their site. You can listen to those to see if you like them or not.

The sound quality is better on Sirius. XM has split up their band so significantly that the sound on many of the "second tier" music channels (i.e. the channels that play anything interesting) really really suffers. Audible digital noise in the midrange was enough for me to stop listening to XM, even though it was free.

When they called, and asked if I wanted to subscribe, I told them not until the sound quality improves. The guy thought I was nuts...so I thought maybe I was nuts.

I did a little research, and found that I am far from the only person who feels this way. Many longtime subscribers complain that since the addition of more channels, the sound quality is taking it on the chin.

No thanks.

I'll tell you this much, the sound quality for Tigers games for those of us not living right next to Comerica Park is much much much better than for those of us trying to get it on the radio. I got it for the baseball, and will continue to do so. Sound quality be damned.

John Sheets,

I guess it's a matter of perspective. I like Def Leppard and I don't think I hear them too much. And I pretty much lock it on 41 - the station you'd expect to hear a lot of them.

The one thing you do find out after awhile is there are certain rotations just like a regular radio station. There is more variety on some of the specific stations than you'd get on a regular radio station. For example on 41 you may hear some Ratt songs you never heard on the radio. However, if you find a good hairband internet station, it won't be as diverse as their stations in most case. It's kind of in the middle.

Channel 49 - You can't go an hour without hearing Sting/The Police. The same is close to being true with Phil Collins/Genesis.

The decade channels - they certainly have a "sound" that they prefer. While (and I'll go with your example) Def Leppard was huge in the 1980s, you are going to hear the more popish sounding and one-hit wonder group songs much more on that station than you'll hear certain sounds that branch a bit off the true popish sound. Does that make sense?

Specialized rare stations - I mean like the folk station when I say this. You'd think there'd be tons of stuff over decades that these people could play and pretty much keep it to one song a day. That's not going to happen. We keep that station on for our bird who loves it and I can say that I've memorized quite a few songs because they play them very frequently. The one that sticks out is "Sadie's Got Her New Dress On." In the limited time we have that station on when we are actually home (it's usually on when we are gone), I've flat out memorized it.

I have XM, but use it only for MLB games, O&A and Ron & Fez (even though East Side Dave ruins the show)

Hey Budday!

Nah, ESD makes that show man! He's so cringe inducing with his stupidity, and stunts. Love R&F. Best show on Radio.

[i realize this thread is nearly off in puppy heaven but figured I'd come here rather than start a new one. ]

So everytime I buy a new phone I think I'm getting one that can do MLB Gameday audio...and find out it isn't on that particular model anymore (Blackberry 8530) or I get an XM portable and find out that the stupid thing takes a good 3-5 minutes to warm up before I can listen to the game (which makes it nearly worthless as a backup for driving to the store to get a loaf of bread during tiger games) or I find out that the vehicle I want to buy (Ford or Chrysler) has Sirius and the stupid XM/Sirius merger covered everything but MLB audio.

[sHAKES FIST AT THE SKY!!!!!]

[i realize this thread is nearly off in puppy heaven but figured I'd come here rather than start a new one. ]

So everytime I buy a new phone I think I'm getting one that can do MLB Gameday audio...and find out it isn't on that particular model anymore (Blackberry 8530) or I get an XM portable and find out that the stupid thing takes a good 3-5 minutes to warm up before I can listen to the game (which makes it nearly worthless as a backup for driving to the store to get a loaf of bread during tiger games) or I find out that the vehicle I want to buy (Ford or Chrysler) has Sirius and the stupid XM/Sirius merger covered everything but MLB audio.

[sHAKES FIST AT THE SKY!!!!!]

Could get the best of XM package on Sirius and it would have baseball