Buddahfan

Which Is Most Impressive?

The Red Wings record of 16 consecutive playoff appearances

The Pistons record of 5 consecutive ECF playoff appearances.

or

The Tigers turnaround from the worst team in Major League Baseball over the 10 years ending 2005 to become the "Yankees of the Midwest" in just three years?

It seems to me that the Tigers turnaround is the most impressive.

What does everyone else think?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080117/OPINION03/801170341/1127/SPORTS0102

It's really impressive how the Red Wings and Pistons have been legit title contenders for many years in a row. Hopefully the Tigers can keep going and do the same over the next 5-10 years.

Tigers have only won one AL Championship recently, they still have a lot more to prove. Red Wings streak definitely most impressive closely followed by the Pistons feats.

I would add Michigan's streak of 1 gajillion bowl games in a row to that list.

I had no idea about this streak. It goes back to 1976. To bad they have a losing record and are 15-17 in those bowls.

1. University of Michigan Football ~Current Streaks: 40 non-losing seasons, 33 straight bowl game appearance, 287 D-1 games without being shutout.

2. Detroit Red Wings ~ 15 straight playoff appearances

3. Detroit Tigers ~ 2nd worst record in the history of modern baseball to AL Champion in 3 years

4. Detroit Pistons ~ 5 straight ECF appearances

Tigers have only won one AL Championship recently, they still have a lot more to prove. Red Wings streak definitely most impressive closely followed by the Pistons feats.

QFT.

The reason I think of the Wings' streak as most impressive is that they have so thoroughly turned around the franchise in my lifetime. When the Norris family owned them when I was the kid, they contended for the unofficial title of worst franchise in pro sports. After some moderate success when I was in early grade school, they went through a long stretch of not even making the playoffs (during a period when only five of the 21 teams did not make the playoffs.) It was only when I was well into adulthood when they started to do well (beginning with their improbable run to the conference finals in 1987). They became a perennial Stanley Cup contender only after I'd hit my 30s.

So, seen through the prism of personal history, that the Red Wings turned the franchise around so thoroughly still amazes me.

Throughout recent history, there have been several NBA and NHL teams to make the playoffs several years in a row.

But I can only think of one other team recently to go from a sustained period of sucktitude to being perennial contenders in the space of just a few years: The Atlanta Braves.

It took both the Wings and Pistons several years to build up to their current success. The Tigers, on the other hand, went from historically bad in 2003 to the World Series in 2006. That just doesn't happen too often.

I vote for my Tigers.

But I can only think of one other team recently to go from a sustained period of sucktitude to being perennial contenders in the space of just a few years: The Atlanta Braves.

So the Yankees don't count...