Buddahfan

Porcello To Start For Tigers in 2009?

It appears that if he does well in spring training he could start this year at Lakeland.

If he really excels there he could be promoted to Erie before year end.

Start 2009 in Erie and get called up late next summer depending on how he pitches and how the Tigers starters are pitching.

He does not know where he will be at the start of the season.

"Hopefully, it's West Michigan," Porcello said. "I heard it's a nice place to play."

President/general manager Dave Dombrowski said Porcello's destination would be determined after spring training.

"It's going to be between West Michigan and Lakeland," he said. "We don't know that yet. We'll watch him pitch."

http://motownsports.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=7

Excellent. There's no need to baby him. Just watch his innings. Other than that it doesn't matter where he pitches as long as he's being challenged.

Also, a lote 2009 call-up shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

PS - your link doesn't work.

I think '09 is awfully early...I think maybe mid '10, rotation in '11 would be best case scenario. But you never know, I believed Maybin wouldn't be called up either...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=md4vs1lZtKU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nMehZlVFldM

I'm sure everyone has seen these, but for those who haven't, some cool videos from Porcello's high school career.

"Hopefully, it's West Michigan," Porcello said. "I heard it's a nice place to play."

It may be a nice place to play, Rick, but are you aware that Lakeland is a more prestigious assignment?

It may be a nice place to play, Rick, but are you aware that Lakeland is a more prestigious assignment?

He was in Grand Rapids with the Tigers caravan when he said this. I would assume that he said it to be polite to his hosts.

He was in Grand Rapids with the Tigers caravan when he said this. I would assume that he said it to be polite to his hosts.

Makes sense.

As long as they're not counting on him to be there (and I'm sure they aren't), they can toss around whatever date they want. If he's not throwing well and they're still moving him up aggressively, than there's a debate I guess.

-Tony

OK, I was assuming there was more to the article than what you quote, but there isn't. Why are you getting pissy about him being in Detroit in '09 when the article doesn't even address that?

OK, I was assuming there was more to the article than what you quote, but there isn't. Why are you getting pissy about him being in Detroit in '09 when the article doesn't even address that?

Because if Porcello was a real man it wouldn't take him until 2009 to make it to the bigs. If you haven't got the family jewels you shouldn't be in the game.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Porcello in Detroit in late '09 - based on the glowing Porcello reports that we have seen from Micro and others. I think that would be a similar pace as Homer Bailey, to pick another stud starting pitcher drafted out of high school.

Optimism is nice but caution is advised.

The path to the proverbial "successful" major league career is littered with the dead hopes and dreams of "can't miss" prospects.

Only about 50% of 1st round picks ever see even one game in a major league uniform.

Here's to hoping Porcello starts a hugely successful 20 year major league career in 2009 but the safe money is bet otherwise.

Optimism is nice but caution is advised.

The path to the proverbial "successful" major league career is littered with the dead hopes and dreams of "can't miss" prospects.

Only about 50% of 1st round picks ever see even one game in a major league uniform.

Here's to hoping Porcello starts a hugely successful 20 year major league career in 2009 but the safe money is bet otherwise.

Generally, you bet. This isn't a normal "first round pick". This is universally the best right handed HS pitcher to come out since Josh Beckett.

Generally, you bet. This isn't a normal "first round pick". This is universally the best right handed HS pitcher to come out since Josh Beckett.

Beckett first pitched for the Marlins in 2001 when 21 years old, the year after he was signed. His first full year was in 2002 the year before they won the WS.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/Josh-Beckett.shtml

Cruzer, I have no doubt this kid is special and I truly hope he pans out but I am very cautious when it comes to predicting the development curve of a kid one year removed from high school competition. His 18 year old rotator cuff and elbow ligaments have never been exposed to the level of stress they are going to face in the upcoming season.

All of Porcello's upside doesn't help me overcome the thought that he is still just one pitch away from filling out an application for the Institute of Culinary Arts.

Not trying to be a wet blanket. It just makes me nervous when people get excited about a new prospect a few months removed from his senior prom. I want to see this kid develop on his own timeline without the weight of huge expectations hanging on his very young shoulders. I would consider him to be "on track" if he takes the mound in a Tiger uniform some time in 2012.

The key word there is high school. This isn't a college pitcher we're talking about here. It will take him longer to get to the bigs then it took Andrew Miller or Justin Verlander. He is reportedly a very polished pitcher and will likely move faster then your average 1st round high school pitcher, but he's still just 19 years old.

Cruzer, I have no doubt this kid is special and I truly hope he pans out but I am very cautious when it comes to predicting the development curve of a kid one year removed from high school competition. His 18 year old rotator cuff and elbow ligaments have never been exposed to the level of stress they are going to face in the upcoming season.

All of Porcello's upside doesn't help me overcome the thought that he is still just one pitch away from filling out an application for the Institute of Culinary Arts.

Not trying to be a wet blanket. It just makes me nervous when people get excited about a new prospect a few months removed from his senior prom. I want to see this kid develop on his own timeline without the weight of huge expectations hanging on his very young shoulders. I would consider him to be "on track" if he takes the mound in a Tiger uniform some time in 2012.

If it takes that long for Porcello, it will probably be from an injury, which is always the worry with such a young man who throws as hard as he does. His mechanics are as good as it gets, so his projection is real.